Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Companion {Upgrade} policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
related threads - Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
To split or not to split PNR
Print Wikipost

CPU Question (2 elites plus 1 non-elite)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Gold
CPU Question (2 elites plus 1 non-elite)

Question - have two Gold travelers on the same PNR with a non-status flyer; does United in this instance essentially not upgrade any traveler, or is it possible for these three to upgrade as a block? Wondering about whether it would be worth it to split off one of these travelers into their own PNR. Thanks for any insights!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Avatar345
Question - have two Gold travelers on the same PNR with a non-status flyer; does United in this instance essentially not upgrade any traveler, or is it possible for these three to upgrade as a block? Wondering about whether it would be worth it to split off one of these travelers into their own PNR. Thanks for any insights!
From the UA website:
If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation.
Complimentary Premier Upgrades.

It will increase the odds of at least one pax clearing if you split the reservation.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate that, thanks! I don't know that I necessarily trust United's systems, but I guess I'll just roll with it. Anyone ever had any success with a 3+ group?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There is zero upside in your situation in keeping the PNR as is. Split off one Gold passenger.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:18 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The couple of times I have left 3 of us intact on one reservation, we have NOT appeared on the "day of" upgrade list. If you want the chance of an upgrade, you will need to split the reservation. If only one of you gets upgraded, you can always turn the upgraded seat back in if you don't want to be separated.

How many F seats are available? As golds, you may not have much chance of clearing and it might not be worth the effort, anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
From the UA website:
If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation.
So, a 1K traveling with a Silver will be upgraded with the Silvers since it’s the lowest Premier Status Level, but a 1K traveling with someone who is a General Member will get upgraded with 1K’s since 1K is lowest Premier status?

That makes no sense....
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
So, a 1K traveling with a Silver will be upgraded with the Silvers since it’s the lowest Premier Status Level, but a 1K traveling with someone who is a General Member will get upgraded with 1K’s since 1K is lowest Premier status?

That makes no sense....
It is not about "sense" it is about a set of simple rules baked into software. Your question is about "traveling with" so simply evaluate the situation and either split the PNR or not as the case may be.

In the first scenario -- 1K with Silver -- split the PNR because the 1K will then be upgraded as a 1K. In the second scenario, no need to split because the 1K will already be uprgraded as a 1K.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
The couple of times I have left 3 of us intact on one reservation, we have NOT appeared on the "day of" upgrade list. If you want the chance of an upgrade, you will need to split the reservation. If only one of you gets upgraded, you can always turn the upgraded seat back in if you don't want to be separated.

How many F seats are available? As golds, you may not have much chance of clearing and it might not be worth the effort, anyway.
Normally I'd agree that it's pointless anyway, but just over 48 hours left there are eight F seats left (out of 16) on a late night weekday flight to West Palm. My thought is that the timing and leisure centricity of the flight make it possible, however unknown the odds. I'm really thinking about whether to do it ahead of the 48 hr window or not, and like you say the concern is splitting the party. I don't trust United's policies or software, and so without knowing of any examples of 3-ppl upgrading in tandem, despite United's claims of such structuring, it's just the 1+2 thing that keeps eating away at me as I *know* that happens at least from personal experience.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That makes no sense....
Correct. That makes no sense, which is why it's not how the system operates. The quote to which you're replying specifically states "three or more passengers." If only two passengers are flying, the higher status is used:

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.
This is the paragraph on the United upgrades page that immediately precedes the one quoted earlier.

FWIW: This is counter to the pmCO policy, where the lowest status passenger on a reservation was used for upgrade priority; any non-status companion would invalidate the entire reservation for EUA processing, and you'd have to request upgrades at the gate. Given the amount of kvetching I see about CPU clearance rates, I thought this worth pointing out; under this policy, there is considerably more competition for automatic upgrades than there was under pmCO.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

That makes no sense....
As has already been pointed out, that's not the rule.

UA's three passenger rule essentially encourages groups of three who want upgrades to split the PNR into 2 and 1, maximizing the chances of upgrades for 2 pax, and leaving 1 the same as his or her own status allows.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: 1k
Piggybacking on this - if you are a 1k with two non-status travelers on your reservation are you just not eligible for an upgrade? Splitting the reservation wouldn't really help because it would either leave the 1k on their own or one non-status pax on their own, right? My brother and sister-in-law, both with no status, are on my reservation (1k) for a trip to HAV in May so have been curious about this.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jah294
Piggybacking on this - if you are a 1k with two non-status travelers on your reservation are you just not eligible for an upgrade? Splitting the reservation wouldn't really help because it would either leave the 1k on their own or one non-status pax on their own, right? My brother and sister-in-law, both with no status, are on my reservation (1k) for a trip to HAV in May so have been curious about this.
You get one companion upgrade, so no, 1 elite with 2 non-elites renders the entire itinerary ineligible.

You would have to split the PNR to be CPU eligible.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're not eligible for a CPU in that scenario. You can certainly apply RPUs if you like.

Splitting the reservation would allow one or two passengers to become CPU-eligible, depending upon how it's split. There is no way for a single passenger to sponsor three CPUs.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
if you are a 1k with two non-status travelers on your reservation are you just not eligible for an upgrade?
Originally Posted by Kacee
You get one companion upgrade, so no, 1 elite with 2 non-elites renders the entire itinerary ineligible.
You would have to split the PNR to be CPU eligible.
And just for completeness, here's the whole of the policy from the UA site:

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
Bold bits were not quoted before, and address this issue.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Avatar345
Normally I'd agree that it's pointless anyway, but just over 48 hours left there are eight F seats left (out of 16) on a late night weekday flight to West Palm. My thought is that the timing and leisure centricity of the flight make it possible, however unknown the odds. I'm really thinking about whether to do it ahead of the 48 hr window or not, and like you say the concern is splitting the party. I don't trust United's policies or software, and so without knowing of any examples of 3-ppl upgrading in tandem, despite United's claims of such structuring, it's just the 1+2 thing that keeps eating away at me as I *know* that happens at least from personal experience.
I’m often upgraded (50% of the time) on those EWR-PBI late night flights, and I’m a Silver. Try it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.