Family access: UC Membership vs 1 time passes

Old Mar 18, 17, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Family access: UC Membership vs 1 time passes

Family of 4 (spouse, 2 children under 12) with a 5 hour layover in Houston both ways to international leg. Interested is using the club.

Looking at day passes, the cost is (59 X 4) X 2. The lounge membership is 550.

I am a AA guy normally, and I have never had an issue getting the family into the club with my membership, however I have no experience with United.

Additionally, if it matters, have a 3 hour layover in AKL and will be visiting SYD and BNE.

Will United have any issue with 4 people on one membership, or will I have to deal with "sorry we are full". According to the rules, I should be able to bring in the spouse and dependents with no issue.

Also, Can I use the club as a member in cities where I'm still flying AA (assuming I can get to the united terminal on those days)?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 17, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Yes your membership will get you and your immediate family in.

​​​​​​It will also get you access when not flying UA (As you already know provided you have access to different terminals).

imho, get a platinum amex, much better experience for about same $$$.
Old Mar 18, 17, 3:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
UC membership family access

United Club members may bring their spouse and dependent children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location. Members must accompany their family and guests during their United Club visit.
Note this is either or.

However this is only true for UA UC and not partner lounges. It will be limited to 1 guest.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
... imho, get a platinum amex, much better experience for about same $$$.
But maybe fewer airports where it will work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 17 at 3:45 pm Reason: Partner lounge limitation
Old Mar 18, 17, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by vatali View Post
Family of 4 (spouse, 2 children under 12) with a 5 hour layover in Houston both ways to international leg. Interested is using the club.
Have you ever been to a domestic United Club? I wouldn't pay anywhere close to those numbers for one-time UC access at IAH.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
imho, get a platinum amex, much better experience for about same $$$.
Not a bad idea, but note that effective March 30, Centurion Lounge access will be limited to two guests. $50 per in excess of that.
Old Mar 18, 17, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Have you ever been to a domestic United Club? I wouldn't pay anywhere close to those numbers for one-time UC access at IAH.
I have not, but I have been to many many of the ones for AA. For quietness, the kids room, drinks and superior service compared to gate agent help, I've always found the lounges to be worth it.

I'm not expecting international lounges with dinner and top shelf. I get that it's not going to be close to that.

FYI,

Thanks to everyone for the help. This makes the decision a lot easier.
Old Mar 18, 17, 4:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
You can get United Club passes on eBay for around $20 each (no need to pay $59)
Old Mar 18, 17, 4:09 pm

I would recommend the United Club credit card if you do not have status with United. It gets you a full United Club membership, the annual fee is only $450, there is a $100 first purchase enrollment credit, first and second bags checked free, and group 2 boarding, I think. Way better value than the plain membership.
Old Mar 18, 17, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
You can get United Club passes on eBay for around $20 each (no need to pay $59)
What an awful suggestion. Completely agianst the terms, and there's a good chance the certs will be invalidated before you can use them.
Old Mar 18, 17, 6:30 pm

Programs: US CP, AA EXP, DL Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Status match? Do you have AA or other status that you can match? With Star Alliance gold status you would get access if you are headed to AKL.

Another alternative worth mentioning is the Air Canada Lounge Pass. It's priced in CAD and cheaper than buying a UA club membership outright (roughly $370 for the single membership). Downsides include - need to fly Star alliance for access (unlike the UA club where you can enter at any time), and unclear /lack of guest policies. If you fly a lot and this is a one off trip with your family, it may make sense to buy this membership plus one day passes (depending on how the agent requires it) - but the united club credit card seems to be the way to go.

On the amex route - it should be $50 a person if you have any Amex. Much nicer, but crowded lounge but if you don't need UA assistance it would be my recommendation on how to spend the time.
Old Mar 18, 17, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ericcheung View Post
Status match? Do you have AA or other status that you can match? With Star Alliance gold status you would get access if you are headed to AKL. ....
But no help for the family - which OP specific mentioned.

.... Another alternative worth mentioning is the Air Canada Lounge Pass. ...
No family access to UCs. Higher prices for outside of North America access. So no very useful for trip to SYD, AKL.

On the amex route - it should be $50 a person if you have any Amex. Much nicer, but crowded lounge but if you don't need UA assistance it would be my recommendation on how to spend the time.
OP appears to be looking for family lounge access this trip and future lounge access for later business travel.
Old Mar 18, 17, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Priority Pass via Chase Sapphire Reserve may be the best value. Effectively a $150 annual fee ($450 minus $300 cash back for any travel charges), and the Priority Pass has no limit on number of guests.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 19, 17 at 1:18 pm Reason: Reserve, not Preferred...
Old Mar 18, 17, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
With such a long layover, just get Priority Pass via Chase Sapphire Reserve (gross cost $450, net cost $150) and spend the time in the much better KLM lounge in terminal D.
Old Mar 18, 17, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
...and the Priority Pass has no limit on number of guests.
But isn't there is a fee for each guest?

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
... spend the time in the much better KLM lounge in terminal D.
Opinions seem to be less than unanimous on that and location is not great for most UA flyers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-than-ucs.html
Old Mar 18, 17, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
But isn't there is a fee for each guest?
No, Chase Sapphire Reserve offers unlimited guests.
Old Mar 18, 17, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Opinions seem to be less than unanimous on that and location is not great for most UA flyers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-than-ucs.html
Reasonable snacks, self serve drinkable booze, and a 10-15 min walk to UA gates from the KLM lounge.

Search this Thread