Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow - selling the upgrades at the gate so explicitly.

Wow - selling the upgrades at the gate so explicitly.

Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gold23
It has been many years since I've seen more seats in first available than elites on an upgrade list.
it does happen occasionally. I've been on probably a couple of flights in the last two years or so where I've seen this. In one case, on CVG-IAH, a segment on an award - I had this booked as Saver F the day before or so. F ended up going out full (or pretty close), but there were 3 or 4 I think who were op-ups - the list was cleared and they brought these folks up. This was 6am Sat. on aE75. Another time, same flight, also on an award but in Y, F cabin was half-empty.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
it does happen occasionally. I've been on probably a couple of flights in the last two years or so where I've seen this. In one case, on CVG-IAH, a segment on an award - I had this booked as Saver F the day before or so. F ended up going out full (or pretty close), but there were 3 or 4 I think who were op-ups - the list was cleared and they brought these folks up. This was 6am Sat. on aE75. Another time, same flight, also on an award but in Y, F cabin was half-empty.
Record I've seen (but not been on) was an E75 where 7/12 seats were op-ups. There was another E75 once with 0 paid, 3 cleared, and 3 NRSA. Something like 22 pax total on the plane.

It's rare, but it happens and the common theme seems to be the E75
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by esquesk
I am allowed by my travel policy to purchase Y-up fares, but not premium cabin fares on domestic travel.

As a 1K, this usually leads to me being #1 or #2 on the upgrade list. If I don't clear, I re-fare to the lowest available fare, usually saving ~$400-500 OW.

Each time they sell a TOD and I don't clear the upgrade list, UA is actually losing revenue. I'd say that's a reason not to do it.
how do you re-fare at that point? Cancel Y and rebook?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Record I've seen (but not been on) was an E75 where 7/12 seats were op-ups. There was another E75 once with 0 paid, 3 cleared, and 3 NRSA. Something like 22 pax total on the plane.

It's rare, but it happens and the common theme seems to be the E75
E75s are more common because there are a higher ratio of F seats to Y - I think more than any mainline aircraft even. Think of it this way, E75 and E70 have an identical number of Y seats, but the 75s have double the amount of F, probably solely (or at least mostly) because of the UA contracts. Or another way, E75 have an equal amount of F seats as the 320s - I can't remember the exact Y seat count in there, but it's close to or maybe more than double the Y seat count in the 75s.

But it does happen on mainline sometimes also, I've been on flights and upgraded with empty F seats.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:47 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If they try this, everyone on the upgrade list should go up to the counter and ask that their upgrade be cleared immediately since the cabin obviously didn't fill. This will have the effect of embarrassing the agents, and also clog them up dealing with status holders so they are unable to sell their illicit upgrades.
best advice i've heard. slow em down, inundate them with time wasting, then board. solidarity!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Dropped my bag off on Friday for RDU - LGA. All 12 F seats were empty and they were in an oversell. Asked about the upgrade and chances and the check-in agent said "well we try and sell the empty F seats now."

Thankfully my upgrade cleared (they ended up having to op-up 8/12 with no status after all 3 elites and a non-rev cleared) but was surprised how direct she was about it.

On a related note I wonder how op-ups are decided when they run out of elites on a decidedly non-elite heavy, non *A heavy route like RDU - LGA
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Dropped my bag off on Friday for RDU - LGA. All 12 F seats were empty and they were in an oversell. Asked about the upgrade and chances and the check-in agent said "well we try and sell the empty F seats now."

Thankfully my upgrade cleared (they ended up having to op-up 8/12 with no status after all 3 elites and a non-rev cleared) but was surprised how direct she was about it.

On a related note I wonder how op-ups are decided when they run out of elites on a decidedly non-elite heavy, non *A heavy route like RDU - LGA
It's possible that there can be elites to op up as well. I got an op up on YYZ-ORD last year - was on an award (don't have any of the currently available cards that offer upgrades on award tickets), and i guess they were oversold in Y. Also an E75, IIRC.

I'd guess if there are no UA elites to upgrade, they'd go to *G, followed by *S, then go to non-elites by highest fare code.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I was recently on an ORD-CLE mainline flight that went out with two open seats in F while there were 20+ on the upgrade standby list. Right before closing a guy in a pilot's uniform occupied one of the open seats (although this seat never showed occupied in the APP. Not in seatmap, not standby list, not in upgrade list). Very odd indeed.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by gold23
It has been many years since I've seen more seats in first available than elites on an upgrade list.
I *think* (OK, I'm pretty sure I know) what happened. There were a couple flights out of IAH to GDL that elites jumped over to while there was still space in them. I saw her seating assignment at one point early on and business class was filling up...then it was nearly empty later on in the evening.

I can also say that as a gold, I don't get many upgrades--but the last two trips to GDL in March I was upgraded (and nearly everyone else on the list) 3/4 times. And at the 24 hour mark, which has never happened to me.

Last edited by Dan Garcia; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:28 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dan Garcia
I *think* (OK, I'm pretty sure I know) what happened. There were a couple flights out of IAH to GDL that elites jumped over to while there was still space in them. I saw her seating assignment at one point early on and business class was filling up...then it was nearly empty later on in the evening.

I can also say that as a gold, I don't get many upgrades--but the last two trips to GDL in March I was upgraded (and nearly everyone else on the list) 3/4 times. And at the 24 hour mark, which has never happened to me.
When I was first silver, I'd get 24 hr upgrade notifications probably half my flights. As platinum, I can't remember the last time I was upgraded prior to the airport. Seems like you've found a little niche there...enjoy it before UA figures it out!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by denver19
1K here. Im going Den-SFO-HNL Monday. Back on a similar route (but going the other direction!). The only leg I haven't been upgraded on is DEN_SFO. And there are buckets of open seats up there. I think Denver is a test market.
I believe that UA has the right to get any money they can for their seats, however this is a really cheap way to do it. Give the seats away to your elites if you can't sell them for a decent amount. Selling them for pennies means you consider your elites worthless and don't value their business. They might lose some loyal customers this way. Not sure what idiot came up with this idea. Probably the same one who said to limit buyouts for VDB to $800 then get the police to beatup and drag screaming bloody passengers off planes.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Gate agent selling first class seats 10 minutes prior to boarding - is this normal?

Flying DEN-SNA yesterday, plane is an A319. There is one F seat open, and I'm #1 on the upgrade list with an RPU.

About 10 minutes prior to boarding, I wander over to the gate agent to see if I can get the upgrade, rather than having switch seats after boarding. As I'm approaching the desk, she makes the following announcement:

"We still have one first class seat left, if any of you would like to purchase an upgrade, come see me at the podium".

I asked if this was a new policy, and was told that this was totally normal. I haven't experienced this at all before, and wanted to hear if you folks have seen this before?

As an aside, I hate this policy.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Sounds like you ran into one of the rogue agents in DEN. Also seems like this is still a problem that continues with the agents there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2017 at 11:43 am Reason: Cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old May 10, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by itsMoe

As an aside, I hate this policy.
So.... you didn't feel like a valued loyal customer?

What are you going to do about that?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So.... you didn't feel like a valued loyal customer?

What are you going to do about that?
My first step was gathering more information, which includes posting here.
My next step will be to make my displeasure known to United and ask them what they plan on doing about this.
My third step will most likely be to receive some kind of BS email from United telling them how they feel sorry that they hurt my feelings, but that they won't change anything.
My fourth step will be to grumble and suck it up because I'm Star Alliance captive.
My fifth step will be to pray to the airline gods that more 5th freedom routes are opened up between the West Coast and Europe.
My final step will be to realize that none of this is going to change anything, make an effigy out of a copy of Rhapsody and stick those blue drinking straws into pain points on said effigy in a vain attempt to make myself feel better.

...does this answer your question?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.