FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   IAD - CLE : 737-900? Wow (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1829855-iad-cle-737-900-wow.html)

DawgmanOH Mar 16, 2017 6:42 am

IAD - CLE : 737-900? Wow

I don't think I've ever seen a mainline aircraft from IAD to CLE. June 26 has one (maybe other dates also, but that's the one I'm looking at). Flight 2026 at 5.15 PM is a 737-900. Been flying that route for years and was happy when they even gave us the CRJ-700. :-)

nomad420 Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

Years ago when I was based out of CLE and UA still had a hub there that was actually a very busy route. Sad what has happened to CLE with UA. I still travel there a couple times a year and it is indeed getting tougher and tougher to get direct flights in. Also many flights are now UX CRJ's (DEN-CLE, Uggghhh).

I have heard that UA is not releasing the unused gates in CLE that they lease so that competition can't come in. They supposedly got some sweetheart deal and feel it is probably better for them to pay the rent on them than release them to new competition out of CLE.

trk1 Mar 16, 2017 1:33 pm

iAd

Your are correct this is the most seats in this market since
both Ua and Co were both in the market.

Summer Ua schedule shows:
Cle- Iad 4 daily (mainline 1 daily from Iad)
Cle Dca 5
Cle Lga 6
Cle Ewr 6 (5 mainline)
Cle Bos 4
Cle Mke 2
Cle Ord 9 (7 mainline)
Cle Den 3 (3 mainline)
Cle Iah 6 (1 mainline)
Cle -Lax 2 mainline
Cle-Sfo 2 mainline
Cle Mco 1 mainline
Cle Chs 1 wkly
Cle Cancun 2 weekly mainline

entropy Mar 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Its weird, I saw a CLE-CRW or something like that near the banjo a few weeks ago.

I'm a little surprised they haven't figured out how to grab a bit more O/D.

buckeyefanflyer Mar 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Back in 1986 when UA started the IAD hub have 5 daily mainline fights CLE-IAD.

diburning Mar 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 28045105)
I have heard that UA is not releasing the unused gates in CLE that they lease so that competition can't come in. They supposedly got some sweetheart deal and feel it is probably better for them to pay the rent on them than release them to new competition out of CLE.

I'd be surprised if this were the case. The old UA concourse (D) is simply closed off and abandoned. Concourse C, which is where UA, AC, and B6 operates out of has plenty of vacant gates with the jetbridges removed. They appear to be common use gates since the podiums don't contain (or appear to have any remnants of) anything UA/CO related, and the signs on these "abandoned" gates all have the airport logo on them. I'd be more inclined to believe that Cleveland is simply in a slump at this time.

Even when CO operated BOS-CLE, the majority of the flights were express flights on the ERJ-145. They probably did this to increase frequency. IIRC the ERJ flights did go out full though.

RandyX Mar 16, 2017 4:23 pm

How about a 737-900ER ORD-MKE? Daily service, turns right around and does MKE-ORD.

nomad420 Mar 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 28046511)
I'd be surprised if this were the case. The old UA concourse (D) is simply closed off and abandoned. Concourse C, which is where UA, AC, and B6 operates out of has plenty of vacant gates with the jetbridges removed. They appear to be common use gates since the podiums don't contain (or appear to have any remnants of) anything UA/CO related, and the signs on these "abandoned" gates all have the airport logo on them. I'd be more inclined to believe that Cleveland is simply in a slump at this time.

Even when CO operated BOS-CLE, the majority of the flights were express flights on the ERJ-145. They probably did this to increase frequency. IIRC the ERJ flights did go out full though.

I guess they are holding UA for the $110 million due on the abandon old concourse D. Also, from what the article states UA was tying up some of the gates and not allowing the city to negotiate with other airlines for them.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...es_gate_o.html

UAzip Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

The move of AA to concourse C has never shown any sign of progress, although it would sure be nice to be able to use the United Club when flying AA and not have to schlep all the way across the airport. Every now and then there is a trip to PHL or something where using AA just makes the most sense.

It is surprising how only one CLE-IAH is mainline. That used to be all mainline all the time.

CLE-BOS was all ERJ-145 except for one 737 a day back in the day. It's surprising that they have kept it with all 145s considering that the 145s were the big problem with the hub operation. It would be nice to get the 170s and 175s in there and the 145s out to keep the route going.

nomad420 Mar 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 28047177)
The move of AA to concourse C has never shown any sign of progress, although it would sure be nice to be able to use the United Club when flying AA and not have to schlep all the way across the airport. Every now and then there is a trip to PHL or something where using AA just makes the most sense.

Haven't been there for probably a year but the UC at CLE was one of the nicest! It was and old CO Presidents Club that converted. Very nice layout of the club with some areas remaining quite if you needed to work.

LordHamster Mar 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 28049979)

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 28047177)

Haven't been there for probably a year but the UC at CLE was one of the nicest! It was and old CO Presidents Club that converted. Very nice layout of the club with some areas remaining quite if you needed to work.

Unfortunately you can't use the united club anymore unless you are flying united...even if you are a full member.

FTstudent Mar 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Unfortunately you can't use the united club anymore unless you are flying united...even if you are a full member.
This is a special rule for CLE? I do it all the time when OAL at other airports.

goodeats21 Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster (Post 28050235)

That is not correct. You must have a boarding pass, but it can be from any airline.

Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...me-day-bp.html

nomad420 Mar 17, 2017 1:50 pm

I go to the UC club(S) in DEN when not flying UA and haven't been hassled. When in CLE I was always flying UA anyhow.

Surface Interval Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 28050322)

That is not correct. You must have a boarding pass, but it can be from any airline.

Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...me-day-bp.html

I have recently used the CLE club with other carrier tickets. No problem.