Chicago Winter Weather Waiver 12-15 March 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 12, 17, 3:16 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Chicago Winter Weather

Airports: Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)

Original travel date(s): March 12 - 15, 2017

Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing on or before March 17, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 17, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Chicago Winter Weather Waiver 12-15 March 2017

Just saw they added a waiver for ORD. I'm supposed to fly on UA218 from HNL to ORD on March 15, connecting to UA476 to YYZ on March 16. Am I covered by the waiver or not since I depart HNL on 4/15 but don't arrive in ORD until 4/16, and either way should I be worried about getting stuck in IRROPS? My guess is something fairly long haul like UA218 would still be flying (i.e. low on the list of cancellations) but you never know, especially if the aircraft doesn't get to HNL on 4/15.

Last edited by gradsflyer; Mar 12, 17 at 11:36 pm
Old Mar 13, 17, 12:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Should be ok. They are expecting 2 inches. Possibly more near the lake. The HNL-ORD plane doesn't always come in from ORD.
Old Mar 13, 17, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Caught some local Chicago news and they mentioned that tonight the wind was going to switch around and blow East to West...with the strong possibility of lake effect snow for the city.

Question for the locals - does that type of setup ever cause problems out at ORD? Not sure how far inland it typically impacts.
Old Mar 13, 17, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Moved my ORD connection from the 14th to 15th to try to dodge WAS weather. Well, I expect the widebodies from Asia will still operate...
Old Mar 13, 17, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM
It really depends on the direction of the wind (from the north or northeast) and the speed. Generally O'Hare is less effected than areas closer to the lake but it really depends on the specific situation.
Old Mar 14, 17, 9:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Any updates on weather at O'Hare and delays? Have a 230pm Ux flight but have to make a decision as to drive or not by noon. Have a foot of snow at the lake 14miles from o'hare
Old Mar 14, 17, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I live 2 miles east of ORD, right of of the 90, and we got about 6 inches of snow between 2-7am. Right now, it's not snowing, the most they say we may get an additional 1-2 inches by 4pm, but currently nothing is falling by ORD.
Old Mar 14, 17, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by homanga View Post
Any updates on weather at O'Hare and delays? Have a 230pm Ux flight but have to make a decision as to drive or not by noon. Have a foot of snow at the lake 14miles from o'hare
Watching my wife's flights today. Current delay averages are 107 minutes departing according to ORD airport. Looks like flights west and SE are making, although some with delays. Cancellations seem to be mostly for east destinations.
Old Mar 14, 17, 10:24 am

Just got here flurries again now. Flight to PAH canceled so booked to BNA which is currently not delayed on Ux leaving in 50 min but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Mar 14, 17, 11:07 am

My flight from SEA to ORD is delayed for an hour, possibly longer according to the GA. I'm back in the Club but it looks like everything is getting delayed going to ORD.
Old Mar 14, 17, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
My CLE-ORD is delayed by 1hr 22 min
Old Mar 14, 17, 2:20 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE
MSY-ORD this morning delayed about 3 hours (last I checked -- I'm rebooked on DL now). Seems like ORD is doing more delays than cancels. With EWR and IAD out of action, ORD is most of UA's remaining TATL lift, so they'll try to keep it going.
Old Mar 14, 17, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by cubs105 View Post
My flight from SEA to ORD is delayed for an hour, possibly longer according to the GA. I'm back in the Club but it looks like everything is getting delayed going to ORD.
Wanted to give an update, just before we were boarding and lined up they delayed the flight again. Got an notification too that they canceled my connecting flight. I went straight to the UC and the lady at the front desk said to me that I was having bad luck today. United booked me on a flight with Alaska and got me there. It sucks going from being booked in first to being booked in a middle seat in the back on a different airline but at least I made it to my destination. Question for you all, since I booked using miles and then was transferred to a different airline in a different class is there anything I can do to get my miles back or am I out?
Old Mar 14, 17, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cubs105 View Post
Wanted to give an update, just before we were boarding and lined up they delayed the flight again. Got an notification too that they canceled my connecting flight. I went straight to the UC and the lady at the front desk said to me that I was having bad luck today. United booked me on a flight with Alaska and got me there. It sucks going from being booked in first to being booked in a middle seat in the back on a different airline but at least I made it to my destination. Question for you all, since I booked using miles and then was transferred to a different airline in a different class is there anything I can do to get my miles back or am I out?
Yes, you should be able to get back the difference in miles between booked and flown class of service. You will most likely have to request it, though, and won't just automatically have it happen.
Old Mar 14, 17, 9:35 pm

Local Airport manager at PAH said ORD ATC was down to 36 operations an hour for a stretch (landings/takeoffs) apparently. Both of my flights were cancelled ORD-BNA announced boarding in 2-3 minutes (and on time). Then immediately announced cancelled and can't rebook at gate. I drove to PAH at that point as I had to be somewhere by 7pm

Search this Thread