Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:22 pm

Int'l award seat on ANA almost extinct?

For the longest time, every summer our family of 4 would fly one way free TPAC on ANA using UA miles (saver economy). Usually SEA or YVR. For the first time last summer, I couldn't find any availability on ANA. Plenty of options on UA and AC available, though. So I had to settle for returning on UA via SFO.

Now I'm looking for award seat on ANA from HKG-TYO this Dec and next Jan. Can't find anything.

Is it just me, or have other folks noticed similar thing with award availability on ANA?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
.... Is it just me, or have other folks noticed similar thing with award availability on ANA?
There was an issue for a couple of weeks in February that has since been resolved
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There was an issue for a couple of weeks in February that has since been resolved
No, that wasn't it. This is my observation about sharp decline in award seat availability that started last year and is still ongoing.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Are there still problems with NH awards? Expert flyer is showing me 2 seats in O on NRT-SFO for a particular date. However, I called UA twice and they only see 1. Anybody else having this issue?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
Are there still problems with NH awards? Expert flyer is showing me 2 seats in O on NRT-SFO for a particular date. However, I called UA twice and they only see 1. Anybody else having this issue?
The issue was ticketing, not display.

EF won't necessarily give an accurate display of what's available through UA. What does .com say?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
The issue was ticketing, not display.

EF won't necessarily give an accurate display of what's available through UA. What does .com say?
What's interesting is .com wasn't showing this at all (not even 1 F seat). So when I called up the agent told me something that didn't match EF or .com.

MNL-NRT
EF: Only 2 X seats
.com: Nothing
Agent: 1 X and 1 I

NRT-SFO
EF: 2 O seats
.com: Nothing (not even 1)
Agent: 1 X seat and1 O

I don't know what to believe! I also made some BR alerts for 2. Hoping one of those hit.

Edit: sorry for the duplicate post. Mobile is acting up.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:42 pm

Travel partner award booking on ANA...how?

How do you book an award through travel partners on ANA mileage program. If I go through award booking option I can see the flights I want and it allows me option to book but when I try it says insufficient miles. It doesn't seem to recognize my star alliance united miles. Am I missing something, (note the miles in my united program were recently transferred in if that makes a difference).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:01 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Awards issued BY the ANA program can only be paid for with ANA miles. Note that these flights may be flown by other carriers.

Similarly, UA miles must be used to pay for awards issued by UA's program. And the UA issued awards may be flown by other carriers.

Pooling of most different airline programs is not allowed. (BA and IB Avios my be exceptions since they allow transfers)

However, it makes no difference if the miles were accrued by flying or transferred from Chase or Amex or hotel programs.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:47 am

I thought you can book a star alliance partner on ANA website, since united is one of their partners and I have the required miles I thought you could book through ANA, I'm terribly confused as I've never book an award before. Every website is saying that if you have united miles you can just book through ANA for a star alliance partner??
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by limirl
I thought you can book a star alliance partner on ANA website, since united is one of their partners and I have the required miles I thought you could book through ANA, I'm terribly confused as I've never book an award before. Every website is saying that if you have united miles you can just book through ANA for a star alliance partner??
If you have ANA miles, you book through ANA. The flights you book can be on ANA or any ANA partner with availability.

If you have United miles, you book through United. The flights you book can be on United or any United partner with availability.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:25 pm

So basically you can book ANA flights but you need to do it through the United website if you want to use United miles. You can only book on ANA website if you have ANA miles to use.
limirl likes this.

Last edited by hooni212; Jun 26, 2019 at 3:26 pm Reason: adding more info
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:05 pm

Thanks you for the responses, looks like I need to educate myself better on award travel. Not thrilled at being stuck with UAL
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limirl
Thanks you for the responses, looks like I need to educate myself better on award travel. Not thrilled at being stuck with UAL
You are not stuck with UAL
As above, you can book award flights on UA and UA partners, like ANA, subject to award availability
Booking from the UA web site or phone
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
EF vs UA vs NH

I'm looking for an "I" seat from NRT-SIN on NH in January. EF says at least one is available. None show up on UA. I logged into ANA and there is availability there for Award Type 2 for *A member airlines. Does that mean that the upgrade is available for UA miles or not? If so, shouldn't the UA rep see that?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You are not stuck with UAL
As above, you can book award flights on UA and UA partners, like ANA, subject to award availability
Booking from the UA web site or phone
In fact, UA has perhaps the best online booking experience for award travel. You can view availability and book on any UA or partner flight (there may be a minor exception to this) on united.com, and also make changes, cancel, and redeposit if necessary, all online. Most carriers make you call for many of these functions, especially for partner awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.