Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United.com offered me a competitor AA/DL/ ... / non-*A flight segment (!?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United.com offered me a competitor AA/DL/ ... / non-*A flight segment (!?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I had a UA flight cancel due to MX and UA put me on a DL flight. What's interesting is that due to that flight, I did a status match with DL this year and have moved 50% of my flying to DL.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
UA phone agents will actually sell you DL (and other interlined carriers') flights if you ask. For most flights they can price pretty easily. I think the first segment (or if international the first international segment) has to be on UA. It's somewhat handy if you have to go ORD-ATL-XXX-ORD or something and the ATL-XXX segment is only offered by DL. You can call and have them price and sell it to you.

People forget these sorts of mixed carrier tickets were much more common back in the days of travel agents and more airlines. The legacy carrier's computer system (and overall businesses) are still structured around the old paper ticket coupon system (all electronic now) and ARC still does the settlements for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of passengers every day.

Last edited by kenn0223; Mar 7, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Reviving this thread to note that I just booked a RT on united.com with a UA segment outbound and a DL segment on the return. Reason? Because attempting to book the return segment on delta.com was impossible - the flight refused to show there!

After booking on united.com, I can now access my Delta segment on delta.com, select a seat, and add my Delta FF number. Very odd.
767-322ETOPS likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: united
Long ago, well before the merger, I had to go to from LAX to Tallahassee, which UA did not serve at the time. United.com sold me a ticket that routed me LAX-TPA on UA and then on to Tallahassee on US Air Express.

In general, airlines are happy to sell you a ticket that includes a segment on a different carrier. They still generate some revenue.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Reviving this thread to note that I just booked a RT on united.com with a UA segment outbound and a DL segment on the return. Reason? Because attempting to book the return segment on delta.com was impossible - the flight refused to show there!

After booking on united.com, I can now access my Delta segment on delta.com, select a seat, and add my Delta FF number. Very odd.
When you book an itinerary like this United basically acts as a travel agent for the DL segments, which generate a record locator in the Delta system. So you can then access it on that system.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
When you book an itinerary like this United basically acts as a travel agent for the DL segments, which generate a record locator in the Delta system. So you can then access it on that system.
True. But it doesn't explain why this particular flight was bookable via united.com, but not bookable on delta.com, as the flight didn't even show up as an option on delta.com.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
True. But it doesn't explain why this particular flight was bookable via united.com, but not bookable on delta.com, as the flight didn't even show up as an option on delta.com.
Reminds me of when people trying to get on the last UA 747 flight found a way to book the code share through Air New Zealand since UA wasn't selling it anymore.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by nologic98
Via Google Flights. Google offered me a mixed-airline itinerary (route was an open jaw: LAX-JFK;JFK-SFO) and said "Book on United.com". Sure enough, clicking brought me to a United.com check-out screen with one direction's flight operated by Delta.

I was fascinated by this, since AFAIK United and Delta are not partners.

No amount of Edit Search once on United allowed me to reproduce this mixed carrier itinerary. (which was a shame, since I had no way to enter my promo code).

Does anyone know how to get it to show itineraries like this without going thru Google Flights?
An earlier iteration of United.com (as well as the old united connection software) allowed users to choose pretty much any airline in the flight search.

A subsequent version limited the choices to *A carriers (but you could still specify which ones).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and the whole thing became moot this morning when Google reported a major fare decrease on my trip - now bookable as two one-ways, one on united.com, the other on delta.com.

I canceled the original booking in the 24-hour window and rebooked "normally."
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by atword

That agreement between DL and AA has since been restored.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
they use different search engines and are hosted on different platforms. No reason to expect the same flights show up everywhere.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
No reason to expect the same flights show up everywhere.
No, but there's a pretty good reason to expect a Delta flight to appear on delta.com...
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, but there's a pretty good reason to expect a Delta flight to appear on delta.com...
sure, for a pure DL itinerary but interlined with a UA segment?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but he was saying that the DL flight, by itself, didn't appear on delta.com. UA out, DL back; you'd think that buying the outbound on united.com and the return on delta.com would have worked.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was only interlined by looking at Google Flights and selecting outbound UA, return DL there.

When I went to delta.com and asked for only a one-way ticket, delta.com refused to show an 8 PM flight that I could clearly book via other means. delta.com wasn't showing a valid, published, available-for-reservations mainline Delta flight.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.