Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA had aisle seat passengers pass out the snack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA had aisle seat passengers pass out the snack?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question FA had aisle seat passengers pass out the snack?

I was on a morning departure the other day (737 mainline). It was a 1.5+ hour flight.

The FA distributed the Stroopwaffels from one of the plastic drawers in the cart (like WN or AS FAs hand them out from a basket/box). She was giving the Stroopwaffels to the person at the aisle seat and asking the person to pass them to the other 2 passengers.

When she got to me, she gave me 3 (I was at an aisle seat). Then it turned out my seatmates were sleeping. The FA saw that and took 2 out of my hands.

I have 2 questions:

1 - is there any food serving rules on they should not ask passengers to pass out the food?

2 - do they not do a snack cart service on 1.5-2 hour short hops?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Re Q. 2., on UA domestic flights for Economy, only a single type of snack is offered on this length of flight. It is often passed out by the FA just before the bev. service. Re Q. 1, haven't seen the type of service the OP referenced.

In Domestic First, for this length of flight, a snack basket is offered passengers and the basket contains usually five or more types of snacks to choose, including bananas. On most of the these F-cabin flights, one can select two choices and often the basket is offered twice during the flight.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I actually think this makes more sense than stretching over the aisle and middle passenger.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What food service issue is there for a completely sealed and packaged item? You can drop it on the floor it's not going to affect anything.
FWIW I'd rather hand it over if I'm on the aisle than having the FA reach across my face.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
... 1 - is there any food serving rules on they should not ask passengers to pass out the food? ....
Given it was a packaged item, don't see an issue.
I have seen this done (but rare) for snack mixes.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
When she got to me, she gave me 3 (I was at an aisle seat). Then it turned out my seatmates were sleeping. The FA saw that and took 2 out of my hands.
You should request downgrade compensation
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:51 am

I had a flight about six months ago where it was quite bumpy and the captain didn't want the FAs moving around. To kick start the snack service the FA handed the first passenger the bag of stoopwaffels and told them to take one and pass it along and made an announcement that it was being passed. About 30 mins later when it all settled they came around with our drinks. I on the other hand was hungry and pigged out on three of those things 🤗
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
I had a flight about six months ago where it was quite bumpy and the captain didn't want the FAs moving around. To kick start the snack service the FA handed the first passenger the bag of stoopwaffels and told them to take one and pass it along and made an announcement that it was being passed. About 30 mins later when it all settled they came around with our drinks. I on the other hand was hungry and pigged out on three of those things 🤗
That's creative!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
I on the other hand was hungry and pigged out on three of those things 🤗
Haha, I was going to say I might do that if the whole bag were passed to me. Sort of j/k, but honestly, if this is a flight my 2-year-old daughter was with us for, then that bag may have never made it past our row😀, at least not without several
minites of screaming following that.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I wouldn't mind doing this but I have never had this happen to me before, and I'm stuck on a lot of these snack flights. I wonder if there's protocol to it
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I have often passed sealed food packages and even drinks to the people in the row. No big thing
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I actually think this makes more sense than stretching over the aisle and middle passenger.
Totally agree.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This only happens on US based airlines because of lazy crew!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:59 pm

I could certainly see this being ok if turbulence or some other reason keeps the FA from distributing the snacks but I do not agree that it is ok to have the customer passing out the snacks.

I have to say that I am surprised by my reaction to this because I am usually a very easy going person...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am a little bit of a clean freak and if you observe how many people don't wash their hands after going to bathroom, I really don't want them touch any of my stuff (and I don't like to touch other people's stuff)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.