Search

New United Branding?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
New United Branding?

Noticed a billboard on the way to work this morning that had "United Airlines" next to the globe logo rather than just "United" and the font was slightly different.

Apparently this new branding is popping up in other places as well?

I'll see if I can get a picture this afternoon but has anyone else seen it?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Do you mean like this:

That was back in 2010, and only lasted a few months.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Everything always had the globe at IAH
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i think the marketing team still feels insecure sponsoring events and only referring to the company as "united", so there are a couple bizarre modified logos floating around (in the current, all caps and globe style) that say "UNITED AIRLINES".

i think it looks cheesy, and takes away from the brand. i don't see current-gen "delta air lines" branding being used by DL.

here's an example that was tweeted by the @united account yesterday:

another variation:
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i think the marketing team still feels insecure sponsoring events and only referring to the company as "united", so there are a couple bizarre modified logos floating around (in the current, all caps and globe style) that say "UNITED AIRLINES".
Interesting.
So, they use a modified "UNITED AIRLINES" logo when it's not necessarily an audience that recognizes the brand, so the added "AIRLINES" makes that clear? Must be their logic there.
I can sort of understand that reasoning, although also find it a bit cheesy.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Do you mean like this:

That was back in 2010, and only lasted a few months.
If this is the logo OP is referring to, like you said it was used in 2010 but they made this logo obsolete in March 2011 (shortly after they announced in late 2010 the logo we know today). I just logged in and reviewed their brand standards guidelines and it clearly indicates this logo isn't to be used anymore. I'm sure some event organizers who United sponsors may accidentally use the wrong logo and sure that in those cases it was because organizers a lot of times fail to submit a proof to be reviewed by the marketing team or their United contact approved but doesn't understand brand standards.

Either way way looks like the marketing brand standards team needs to get on it with ensuring proper logo usage out there. Guess we can lump this team into their wonderful IT team as well.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
You wouldn't need to add the words "airline" if you had the tulip. And the winged "T"

Jus sayin
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
It's not a new branding/logo, but I've seen it being used mostly in non-US markets.

(Photo credit @Parksx1 via Twitter)
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You wouldn't need to add the words "airline" if you had the tulip. And the winged "T"

Jus sayin
Indeed. Everyone recognized the tulip, the globe really isn't distinctive.

Bring back the rising blue!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It's not a new branding/logo, but I've seen it being used mostly in non-US markets.

(Photo credit @Parksx1 via Twitter)
You can see me in that picture.

BTS was a fantastic event this year!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Right... old United never had to formally identify itself as "United Airlines"... everyone instantly recognized the Tulip and its connotation of quality and magnificent customer service! I kid, I kid, but see...

Anyway, the logotype that is the subject of this discussion seems to also appear in some cases where the design is heavy on symmetry, such that the globe is positioned in the center of 'United' and 'Airlines' along some axis in the design... see the NYC Half Marathon logo above, or the adaptation for the United Center.

In most cases these are third-party applications, not direct United publications or installations.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 1, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
A little off topic but...
Why the Tulip? How did the "tulip" become the United brand?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton

i think it looks cheesy, and takes away from the brand. i don't see current-gen "delta air lines" branding being used by DL.

here's an example that was tweeted by the @united account yesterday:

Thanks for posting that image. It was pretty much exactly like this. The font looked a little different but that could have been where I was at in relation to the sign.

What's funny is that no one calls them "United Airlines" from what I've heard here (PDX) and even the signage at the airport is simply "United".
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RamAir
A little off topic but...
Why the Tulip? How did the "tulip" become the United brand?
There might be a thread on here but the tulip is actually a stylized U and was a Saul Bass (legendary guy) creation. Google Saul Bass and United, there's lots of info.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
There might be a thread on here but the tulip is actually a stylized U and was a Saul Bass (legendary guy) creation. Google Saul Bass and United, there's lots of info.
Several of United's early logos were a derivative of a shield, e.g.:

Saul Bass stylized it to look like a "U", using United's red/blue colors, and allegedly referenced the four time zones of the continental USA by way of the vertical stripes. A classic, iconic design that sadly isn't coming back any time soon... seven years on perhaps it's time for us to move forward!

Similarly, Saul Bass designed Continental's "contrails" logo, otherwise known as a "meatball" (also applied to Pan Am and other round airline logos of the day). The logo is a stylized 'C' and is evocative of the contrails of a 707. Again, classic stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.