Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United Branding?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Those background widgets are a central part of the United branding going forward, on everything from print, to carpeting, to the 77W's ceiling.

The font in the above photo is truly awful, though it is better than the geriatric font CO used for years.
True, the “negative space” globes are everywhere. They were even on Premier Cards last year. This year, elite cards have the “Glowing Border” that you see at Check-In signs.

It does look like the “Destinations” background (which you saw on some Global Sevices lobbies, Ties, Scarfs, promo videos) are on their way out.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:13 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
I guess I'm the only person who thinks the tulip logo looks horribly dated then?

I've only flown United post merger so have no emotional connection, and the tulip makes me think 70s. The globe may not be inspired but it at least looks modern.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:35 pm

Pentagram last redid the tulip itself in 1996, and the livery in 2004.

If that work had continued, you'd most likely have had seen an evolution by 2017.

With that said, the pmUA brand was a lot more than simply the logo - The custom United typeface, livery, branding etc. The pictures of the Global Services card are a great example. Understated, sophisticated, and business-like. That's what United should have stayed with. What we got was a branding tragedy. Stodgy, forgettable, and low-rent all ring to mind, just like the ads post-merger. From Fallon Worldwide's work, to Smisek's sick idea of branding was just...sad. Unfortunately, it all came to symbolize what UAL was perceived by its customers, shareholders, and employees shortly after the merger - as Walmart Air.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
So, predictably, this thread has devolved from a legitimate question about the use of the full "UNITED AIRLINES" vs. the more common "UNITED" logotype into yet another lamentation of post-merger branding... yawn.

As an aside, this thread prompted me to look at some of United's older (~20 years ago) international advertising, and it would appear that 'UNITED AIRLINES' historically figured prominently in UA's international branding, especially Y&R's work around the 'Rising' era.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I think they've missed an opportunity to do a wholesale re-branding in concert with the Polaris roll-out and position the whole thing as a new beginning for United
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
So, predictably, this thread has devolved from a legitimate question about the use of the full "UNITED AIRLINES" vs. the more common "UNITED" logotype into yet another lamentation of post-merger branding... yawn.

As an aside, this thread prompted me to look at some of United's older (~20 years ago) international advertising, and it would appear that 'UNITED AIRLINES' historically figured prominently in UA's international branding, especially Y&R's work around the 'Rising' era.
Interesting.

What's weird is that I have now seen other ads that feature "United Airlines" rather than "United" but none have been at races or other sporting events. My brother sent me one from IAH that was talking about Brazil and United's partnership with Azul and it was using "UNITED AIRLINES" next to the globe.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Interesting.

What's weird is that I have now seen other ads that feature "United Airlines" rather than "United" but none have been at races or other sporting events. My brother sent me one from IAH that was talking about Brazil and United's partnership with Azul and it was using "UNITED AIRLINES" next to the globe.
E.g.

Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
E.g.

Those are actually really cool. Hadn't seen these....ever. You say 20 years or so ago?
Interesting regarding the added "AIRLINES".

And thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:31 pm

I think it's a natural discussion when talking about United's brand!

Here's what SF Gate said in Feb 2004:

"The carrier, which was assisted by its branding consultant, the New York office of the British company Pentagram, said the intent of the makeover and brand campaign is to help the airline 'forge an emotional connection with its most valued customer, frequent business travelers.'"

http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...sh-2822079.php

When United redid it's brand in the late 90s, they clearly de-emphasized the "Airlines" part, though the brand was always intended to still be able to add words after.

Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
While I came from the pmCO side (and I prefer the globe to the tulip, but can appreciate the clean simplicity of the tulip), I do feel like pmUA has had more evocative/resonating advertising vs. pmCO which has been rather blunt and to the point.

The recent pmUA ads I remember were soft sell and almost deemphasized the United brand, vs pmCO's was front-and-center.

For the record one of my favorite commercials of all time (and one my fiancée will still randomly send me when I'm on the road) is the
-- and that series was IMO, very well done.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Seeing MileagePlus rendered in that font, ...
My annoyance is with the other font, FWIW.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Noticed the Bingo cage + UNITED AIRLINES logo on the gate display screens at ORD today.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
While I came from the pmCO side (and I prefer the globe to the tulip, but can appreciate the clean simplicity of the tulip), I do feel like pmUA has had more evocative/resonating advertising vs. pmCO which has been rather blunt and to the point.

The recent pmUA ads I remember were soft sell and almost deemphasized the United brand, vs pmCO's was front-and-center.

For the record one of my favorite commercials of all time (and one my fiancée will still randomly send me when I'm on the road) is the "Heart" commercial -- and that series was IMO, very well done.
The "Heart" spot is absolutely spectacular. It's set to dueling piano peices by Herbie Hancock and Lang Lang, each representing the two separated people in the commercial.

Here's a great behind the scenes of that spot if you're interested:

And EWR764 - Thise ads were primarily from the dreaded "United is Rising" era. United singularly was used going forward in most marketing in all of the 00s, sans for overseas markets. Sort off of the same situation now .

Last edited by tuolumne; Mar 6, 2017 at 8:35 pm
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
The "Heart" spot is absolutely spectacular. It's set to dueling piano peices by Herbie Hancock and Lang Lang, each representing the two separated people in the commercial.

Here's a great behind the scenes of that spot if you're interested:

Herbie Hancock & Lang Lang/Heart Documentary - YouTube

And EWR764 - Thise ads were primarily from the dreaded "United is Rising" era. United singularly was used going forward in most marketing in all of the 00s, sans for overseas markets. Sort off of the same situation now .

These are some objectively excellent campaigns, in just referring to the original point of this thread, which was the use of the full "United Airlines" in ads, especially in the post-Pentagram era.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The Dvarapala one in the F seat is amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.