Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"p.s." Service to Debut BOS<>SFO in June [Announced starting 1 July 2017]]

Old Feb 28, 17, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Staff at BOS United Club mentioned to me that they've learned "p.s." (or whatever it's rebranded) will debut BOS<>SFO in June, using a mix of HD 777s and 752, all with lie-flat F. I asked if BOS<>LAX will also be included, and they did not know. They acknowledged that CPUs will not be available, and so supported upgrades will be required. The flights have not yet been loaded into SHARES.

This is clearly in response to B6's MINT service.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
Long overdue IMHO. There is nothing premium in Y about the dreaded HD 777. They would only consider this now because DL is about to attempt to eat UA's lunch on the route.

Probably have to take another look at retiring those 15 PS 757s if they wanted to try this out as well.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by N623DL View Post
Long overdue IMHO. There is nothing premium in Y about the dreaded HD 777. They would only consider this now because DL is about to attempt to eat UA's lunch on the route.

Probably have to take another look at retiring those 15 PS 757s if they wanted to try this out as well.
Bolding mine. agreed. have to make up for that via a free meal or something you would think. Soft product wise and all
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
Staff at BOS United Club mentioned to me that they've learned "p.s." (or whatever it's rebranded) will debut BOS<>SFO in June, using a mix of HD 777s and 752, all with lie-flat F. I asked if BOS<>LAX will also be included, and they did not know. They acknowledged that CPUs will not be available, and so supported upgrades will be required. The flights have not yet been loaded into SHARES.

This is clearly in response to B6's MINT service.
right, this:

is going to compete with this:

Old Feb 28, 17, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by N623DL View Post

Nor are the HD 772 or 16J 752 particularly premium in J, either. Yes, they have lie-flats, but the 772 is 8 across and the 752s are really really tired.

Still better than a 739 I suppose.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

yup
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Nor are the HD 772 or 16J 752 particularly premium in J, either. Yes, they have lie-flats, but the 772 is 8 across and the 752s are really really tired.

Well for that matter, most UA fleet options involved aren't very good compared to Mint or Delta's AVOD lie-flat 757. The HD 777s are a joke in Y, the 16J 757 are worn out, and the 28J 757 won't be around much longer (probably the most ideal option for the route).

I actually question what UA is going to do on EWR-SFO/LAX and BOS-SFO once the 15 28J 757s go away. I honestly don't think they have enough planes unless they allocate 739ER or 738. Kind of hilarious the sUA 757s have 3-4 year brand new interiors but the sCO 757s are worn and aren't planned for a refresh.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
But would people really want to use RPU's for a 772? I probably would not...assuming I get an aisle in E+.

Also, wouldn't this be a 'downgrade' of P.S. if the 772 is used? Does this mean that 772's could be utilized for LAX/SFO - EWR routes and still be considered "P.S."?
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
But would people really want to use RPU's for a 772? I probably would not...assuming I get an aisle in E+.

Also, wouldn't this be a 'downgrade' of P.S. if the 772 is used? Does this mean that 772's could be utilized for LAX/SFO - EWR routes and still be considered "P.S."?
It already is, right?
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Many here said this would never happen. It has always made sense. Hopefully the outdoor patio for the BOS club is finally built.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
It already is, right?
I've flown a 772 from EWR to SFO several times (with 9 abreast). However, above posters mentioned the HD 772. Is that the Hawaii config with 10 abreast?
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1P
Of course for purely selfish reasons I would love it if EWR-SMF and/or EWR-SJC would also get lie-flat

Actually the latter did surprise me a bit considering that just like EWR-SFO it is targeting the bay area, but maybe it's not helped by the lack of connecting service on the SFO side.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If true, my guess is an announcement for premium BOS-SFO service will coincide with the relaunch of p.s. that has been rumored for the second quarter.

I expect the 'brand standard' for the product will be flat beds in J and AVOD *or* PDE in Y to accommodate the 77G.
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I've flown a 772 from EWR to SFO several times (with 9 abreast). However, above posters mentioned the HD 772. Is that the Hawaii config with 10 abreast?
No, it's the new HD772 with 28J and 10 across in Y. 772 v5 (sorry, the link takes you to v1 by default; you have to click on v5).

Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
In a heartbeat. Especially with 10 across in Y.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 28, 17 at 10:04 am
Old Feb 28, 17, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
it is already almost impossible to clear BOS-SFO on an RPU with a better C/Y ratio ... that'll be fun ... if buying Y hoping for a J upgrade. For the corporate travel BOS-SFO buying J tickets it is a major step forward, assuming then this will also include club access in BOS?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: