Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From UC T&Cs
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The Polaris Lounge at ORD and SFO each have four sleeping cubicles (near the restroom at ORD, near the showers at SFO). Feel free to nod off there.

The GFL at LHR has a section with around a half-dozen lie-flattish platform where you can doze too. Not really too private.
Note: Most/All of the Polaris lounges have a sleeping / day bed area
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"

Between flights on long layovers at the United Club (just got off a brutal redeye) I like to just close my eyes just for a bit not really sleeping, but with eyes closed- kinda slouching, relaxing. Got yelled at to sit up straight by a United dragon who said I had to be sitting up straight and not sleeping- never had a problem before lol! New Rule? Thoughts?

Reminds me of grade school!

(She kept checking up on me too lol was the most ridiculous thing!)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Maybe you were snoring loudly?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Lol! just listening to music and having my eyes closed. Pretty sure if i was sleeping I wouldn't have even heard her command me the first time!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
I've never heard this before and I'm not sure what the problem would be so long as you're sitting in a chair and not snoring or otherwise disturbing other passengers.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
I've never heard this before and I'm not sure what the problem would be so long as you're sitting in a chair and not snoring or otherwise disturbing other passengers.
I know right? We were the only ones in the club too, I'm thinking a power tripping bored Agent.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: EK I/O, BA Gold, UAGS, Sirius Gold
Wouldn't this be the straw that breaks the camels back? I frequently take short naps in lounges between flights. I think a "go to hell" would certainly be justified here
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by UAL4life
Between flights on long layovers at the United Club (just got off a brutal redeye) I like to just close my eyes just for a bit not really sleeping, but with eyes closed- kinda slouching, relaxing. Got yelled at to sit up straight by a United dragon who said I had to be sitting up straight and not sleeping- never had a problem before lol! New Rule? Thoughts?

Reminds me of grade school!

(She kept checking up on me too lol was the most ridiculous thing!)
Which airport did this happen at?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would have ignored her and gone back to sleep.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Maybe you were sleeping and it was just a nightmare?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:56 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down United Clubs...

They continue to lead the way as the Worst of Worst )-:
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Happened to me at IAH PC

About 2002... had a long layover coming in from Rio, and I knew where a comfy couch was. Maybe I didn't know better (low status, didn't have a membership, just had a day pass from my CO Silver membership kit), but I didn't see the harm in laying down for a bit in an empty club. I got shaken awake and was told my feet had to stay on the floor. Subsequent trips thru the same club, I would see families all sacked out on the same sofa, which struck me as unfair.

I see people resting eyes all the time, while sitting/slouching in a chair. Who cares

So, same question as a previous poster - which location?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:17 am

Please send an email to United.
I am willing to bet that this was not a regular United Club employee, but someone working for "vacation coverage."

People sleep in United Clubs all the time, especially in designated quiet rooms. There is no rule.

There was once a really loud snorer in the Global First Lounge at SFO, but nobody interfered with him; we just sat elsewhere.

You will be serving all of us as United Club members by sending an email. United needs to know when an employee enforces fictitious rules.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Interesting. I was napping at a LH Senator Lounge in Frankfurt when the agent pointed me to a designated sleeping area with a comfortable lounges. As they remodel their Senator lounges they are adding more sleeping areas.

Too bad, UA can't follow suit.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
About 2002... had a long layover coming in from Rio, and I knew where a comfy couch was. Maybe I didn't know better (low status, didn't have a membership, just had a day pass from my CO Silver membership kit), but I didn't see the harm in laying down for a bit in an empty club. I got shaken awake and was told my feet had to stay on the floor.
That I understand more if your feet were on the couch, but slouching in a chair and closing your eyes should not be regulated.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: UA
Sounds ridiculous, went to the CX lounge at FRA recently and they went out of their way for a different passenger to prepare a 'bed' for her with some of the chairs. Looked like she stayed overnight though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.