Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From UC T&Cs
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The Polaris Lounge at ORD and SFO each have four sleeping cubicles (near the restroom at ORD, near the showers at SFO). Feel free to nod off there.

The GFL at LHR has a section with around a half-dozen lie-flattish platform where you can doze too. Not really too private.
Note: Most/All of the Polaris lounges have a sleeping / day bed area
Print Wikipost

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I remember when I first joined the pmUC (President's Club). I joined because I wanted a place to have a bite to eat and take a nap. First time in I walked up to the woman with my Aunt Annie's pretzel and asked her where I could take a nap. I was dutifully informed I could do no such thing, and moreover, I needed to get rid of my pretzel. This was at IAH.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: M&M , HHONORS Diamond
Eyes open

The described experiences remind me of spending blood. During and after the actual spending the eyes have to remain open, so that the nurses know youre allright. Maybe United just wants to make sure
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ldsant

Still haven't heard back from OP what airport this was. I'm with others re: people putting their feet (having shoes and socks on is bad; bare feet even worse) on couches, coffee tables, other chairs, on the plane seat in front of me, etc.) is just gross and poor manners.
A few billion Asians tend to think shoes are dirtier than bare feet.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Perhaps she works because her husband had a stroke, her finances were wiped out during the last recession or by Bernie Madoff, her children lost their jobs and have moved back in with her and her husband, she is sick, etc. You don't know what her life is like or what pain she deals with every day. Why make such judgments?

Still haven't heard back from OP what airport this was. I'm with others re: people putting their feet (having shoes and socks on is bad; bare feet even worse) on couches, coffee tables, other chairs, on the plane seat in front of me, etc.) is just gross and poor manners.
I agree. We had a similar issue in our family. No one should judge without knowing.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Sorry to hear about your experience sounds like this may be a new low for UA. What's next telling UC guests they are eating too much and confronting them? Limiting shower time to five minutes? Def wrote into UA they need to know about this.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've been yelled at and woken up for sleeping across two chairs at the very back corner of the large TV room in the EWR C2/3 club. I did manage to sleep for a couple of hours before they fund me, though!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Sorry to hear about your experience sounds like this may be a new low for UA. What's next telling UC guests they are eating too much and confronting them? Limiting shower time to five minutes? Def wrote into UA they need to know about this.
I'd voluntarily limit myself if showers were only more prevalent in the domestic UCs. While I can always shower after a westbound TPAC I have never been able to enjoy it eastbound (except occasionally in the SFO SKL but no more).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:03 am

Wow, I can think of plenty of airports that have facilities for sleeping in the terminals.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by redoskar
Wow, I can think of plenty of airports that have facilities for sleeping in the terminals.
I think having facilities for sleeping vs. sleeping in areas not meant for sleeping is fairly different
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I've always been afraid to sleep in lounges for fear of missing a flight (not counting of course those foreign carrier lounges where they promise to wake you).

Wouldn't it be nice if they could provide one of those devices like they have in restaurants that tell you your table's ready? They always make me jump out of my chair, and I'm sure they would wake up even the deepest sleeper.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I've always been afraid to sleep in lounges for fear of missing a flight (not counting of course those foreign carrier lounges where they promise to wake you).

Wouldn't it be nice if they could provide one of those devices like they have in restaurants that tell you your table's ready? They always make me jump out of my chair, and I'm sure they would wake up even the deepest sleeper.
Cell phone alarm set on vibrate & escalating volume. Works every time.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
What I find interesting is most lounges and airports in general seem to manage this pretty well by just not providing any object suitable for sleeping on.

So imagine my surprise yesterday when I went into the new ORD F UC for the first time and noticed they have... benches! Long cushy benches that are quite longer than the length of the average human body, with no arm rests breaking them up.

And sure enough, on the bench towards the back of the club, someone was sprawled out sleeping.

If they don't want people sleeping in the lounges, they definitely created a battle for themselves with the new ORD F UC seating.

Personally, I sleep in lounges all the time - just lay back in the comfiest chair I can find, set the cell phone alarm, and out I go. If the lounge is particularly deserted, I might find a back corner and put two chairs together, take off the shoes, and really get some Z's.

Never had an issue with the lounge staff, and if this became a rule that was actually enforced I'd definitely not renew my membership.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Perhaps she works because her husband had a stroke, her finances were wiped out during the last recession or by Bernie Madoff, her children lost their jobs and have moved back in with her and her husband, she is sick, etc. You don't know what her life is like or what pain she deals with every day. Why make such judgments?

You are the only one making judgements. I feel for her because someday it may be me.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by IainC
^^ Give me the snorers any day over the yobbo DYKWIAs on their cell phones. It's time to segregate those who need their rest and have to work from the obnoxious and inconsiderate loudmouths on their cell phones. Think about those around you before you use that phone@:-) Nice rant
In theory, that's why most clubs have the cubicle areas. But many people aren't socially sophisticated enough to understand that it's rude to yap on a phone in earshot of other people.

Me personally, I always refuse cell calls wherever I am unless a.) I know it's an emergency (i.e. my wife or my parents) or b.) I'm in a private area where I know I won't disturb people.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
True to a point. I'm sure there are some people who when confronted with bad service think Well, it's because their house burned down last week so some such. However, if you take this train of thought to its logical station, then why should anyone ever complain about bad customer service?

If you're in a customer service position, isn't it your job to provide the best service everyday? The old adage of leaving your problems at the door seems apt, no?

It's ironic considering the OP posted about a rude matron. Hey, maybe her dog died the day before.

Last edited by honmani2; Jan 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.