Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From UC T&Cs
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The Polaris Lounge at ORD and SFO each have four sleeping cubicles (near the restroom at ORD, near the showers at SFO). Feel free to nod off there.

The GFL at LHR has a section with around a half-dozen lie-flattish platform where you can doze too. Not really too private.
Note: Most/All of the Polaris lounges have a sleeping / day bed area
Print Wikipost

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
More power to you if you can sleep in the quiet area zone (the four areas set aside). The lounge/bed is upright. Really wished they had the same the lie flat lounges that LH has in FRA and MUC. Have used both on many occasions when travelling.
The four beds there are totally lie-flat. Don't know about the other Polaris Clubs.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
No, sitting in one of the leather chairs. Was not making a sound. And had sunglasses on so the agent really had to look!
Sounds like your friend was not doing the things many do -- feet up, snoring, lying down, ..
The problem is many do the above and once you have a rule, it is hard to selectively enforce it. Your sleeping is OK, but the other's person sleeping isn't. You get into a very subjective area.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
The four beds there are totally lie-flat. Don't know about the other Polaris Clubs.
All of the Polaris lounges have sleeping cubicles.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
SFO - they are not flat. I put the blanket on the floor in the cubicle area to sleep.

Good to know about ORD. Why did they change this for SFO?

IAH- I think I looked and they had the same 3/4 length upright chairs (as in SFO) so just went and sat at the bar for three hours.

Originally Posted by jcacciotti
Where are they at SFO? I went to the cubicles at SFO near the showers and they are sit up 3/4 lounges and are useless for sleeping so have avoided them. Have another Polaris trip in November so if I can sleep (other than putting the blanket on the floor) will be there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 2018 at 7:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jcacciotti
SFO has a rest area, not a sleeping area.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I went to the cubicles at SFO near the showers and they are sit up 3/4 lounges and are useless for sleeping
Yes, not possible to sleep in one of those torture devices. Not only are they not flat, they have virtually no padding.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
No, sitting in one of the leather chairs. Was not making a sound. And had sunglasses on so the agent really had to look!
sounds like a dragon was encountered.

There is a no sleeping policy but I always assumed it was mostly just applied to people spread out over furniture.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

There is a no sleeping policy but I always assumed it was mostly just applied to people spread out over furniture.
No. It is a no sleeping policy. Not an arbitrary no sleeping if spread out on furniture.

I don't understand why people need to go to a paid private club to sleep when they can do so at many gate areas or other airport areas where it may be allowed.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

I don't understand why people need to go to a paid private club to sleep when they can do so at many gate areas or other airport areas where it may be allowed.
Not all of it is intentional. There are many people who fall asleep anywhere, anytime, if they are not actively engaged in something. (As a chronic insomniac, I cannot understand this, but I have observed it many, many times with people whom I know well.) When you couple that with early morning/late night flights and time zone changes, I suspect that a significant percentage of people who doze in the UC's do so by accident.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Proper UC etiquette when someone is asleep and snoring

Currently at the MCO UC there is someone who's been sleeping at the Club and snoring loudly for the past 10 minutes. The 3 UC staff members are just ignoring the snoring pax.

What's the etiquette here, proper course of action?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by SFHokie
What's the etiquette here, proper course of action?
Throwing a pillow I'd say.
seanp7, SFHokie and Cotumely like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a medical condition so just be understanding. It is nowhere as bad as people using their speaker phones in the UC.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by username
It is a medical condition so just be understanding. It is nowhere as bad as people using their speaker phones in the UC.
Agreed on the speaker phone part. Or just as bad, video games or videos without headphones.

Isn't sleeping forbidden inside the UCs?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you were asleep and snoring, what would you expect somebody else to do?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Treat it as a game and try to throw UC snacks in his/her mouth from a few feet away...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
If I was the snoring I’d appreciate a gentle nudge to be woken. Kind of like someone telling me if I had food stuck in my teeth. I’d be a little embarrassed but rather only be a little embarrassed by 1 person than many more. But this person may not feel the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.