Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who qualifies to use the 1K/Polaris check-in line at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who qualifies to use the 1K/Polaris check-in line at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
New "Premier Access" Signage

This one left me curious.

Departed YYZ on Sunday. Instead of the regular Premier Access signage I'm used to seeing there, they had a line that has the new 1K/Polaris signage at the entrance and on the screen above the agent, and then the regular line (which feeds you through kiosks).

Given I'm gold, didn't quite know where i was supposed to go. I didn't want to use the kiosks (three of us traveling, and last time I tried, three kiosks and not a single one could read my passport...and its not the passport). 1K line was busy with someone, regular line had an agent not helping anyone. So I went over to the regular line agent and he said he was only bag drop, and referred me to the 1K agent. I said I was trying to be honest, and didn't see any signage for Premier Access or *G/Plat/Gold/Silver. He said yeah, that's the new Premier Access signage, all elites can still use that line.

Any reason they would sign a regular PA line with only 1K and Polaris? Is this just a way to get *G/UA lower elites to use the regular line instead (I remember at least at one point, PMUA purposely left off *G at YYZ counters, because they said too many AC elites made the line too long)? Or is this the new normal - they only sign for 1K/Polaris, but any elite can use that line. Kind of confusing.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by emcampbe
This one left me curious.

Departed YYZ on Sunday. Instead of the regular Premier Access signage I'm used to seeing there, they had a line that has the new 1K/Polaris signage at the entrance and on the screen above the agent, and then the regular line (which feeds you through kiosks).

Given I'm gold, didn't quite know where i was supposed to go. I didn't want to use the kiosks (three of us traveling, and last time I tried, three kiosks and not a single one could read my passport...and its not the passport). 1K line was busy with someone, regular line had an agent not helping anyone. So I went over to the regular line agent and he said he was only bag drop, and referred me to the 1K agent. I said I was trying to be honest, and didn't see any signage for Premier Access or *G/Plat/Gold/Silver. He said yeah, that's the new Premier Access signage, all elites can still use that line.

Any reason they would sign a regular PA line with only 1K and Polaris? Is this just a way to get *G/UA lower elites to use the regular line instead (I remember at least at one point, PMUA purposely left off *G at YYZ counters, because they said too many AC elites made the line too long)? Or is this the new normal - they only sign for 1K/Polaris, but any elite can use that line. Kind of confusing.
I'm going to assume that the sign also had a globe on it (for GS). That's the new sign at Tier 2 airports.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
GS/1K/Polaris use the 1K/Polaris line (can be quite a lot of people on a single flight)
*G/Plat/Gold/Silver use the Premier Access (if there) or regular line.

Most likely they're trying to push more people to use the kisoks (self-service) and the 'agents' there aren't UA agents, but contracted for baggage drop off / very simple questions / kisoks.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I'm going to assume that the sign also had a globe on it (for GS). That's the new sign at Tier 2 airports.
Yeah. After the email telling us they were changing the signage to the new globe for a "more discreet experience", they actually removed all "Global Services" wording, and got rid of the dedicated queue, combining it with 1K and all Polaris.

So discreet it doesn't exist any longer. That line can get really long.....
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Thumbs down Who qualifies to use the 1K/Polaris check-in line at YYZ?

Toronto Pearson - long line for the automated check-in machines, one counter for the bag drop and one counter for 1K/Polaris.

SO a fair few flights - only two manned counters. And as Plat, my new benefit is I get top experience the regular, long line.

"United - we aim for the Wizzair experience"
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by dand99
Toronto Pearson - long line for the automated check-in machines, one counter for the bag drop and one counter for 1K/Polaris.

Actually, you are entitled to the 1K/Polaris. That’s the “new signage” for Premier Access. Even a Silver member can go to the 1K/Polaris line. Same set up at LAX and DEN a few days ago. I’m sure they will correct it soon.

There is also an Additional Services “Full Service” type desk off to the side, at YYZ, for what it’s worth.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This sort of failure to stick to plain English signage rather than cutsie marketing terms does brand damage rather than brand enahancement.

It's not just UA.

While all of this makes perfect sense to some marketing type, the fact that over a relatively short period of time, there are multiple terms for the same services and that the signs do not match what people are used to, is just poor planning.

Surely somewhere in a major city such as Toronto, there is a piece of cardboard and a marker which could be found so that, at least on a temporary basis, all of the myriad terms could be written up and posted? Or perhaps even a printed temporary sign for just a bit?

A good example is AA's move to multiple boarding zones so that Zone 1 is somewhere fairly close to the first called rather than the 4th or 5th, leaving many fairly people wondering why 1 does not mean 1.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Actually, you are entitled to the 1K/Polaris. That’s the “new signage” for Premier Access. Even a Silver member can go to the 1K/Polaris line.
Wait, seriously? That is unbelievably confusing. That's the third interpretation of that sign I've heard.

1) 1k AND Polaris (you must be a 1k travelling in Polaris to use the line. There was a thread a while ago about agents interpreting the sign this way)
2) 1k OR Polaris (you must be a 1k or be travelling in Polaris to use the line. IMO this is the most reasonable interpretation)
3) Any status or Polaris
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
How is a silver to plat entitled to the 1K/Polaris counter?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I think the complaint is there is no "Premier" lane for Silvers through Plats, and that does seem wrong. Priority check-in is supposed to be a guaranteed benefit.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
There is/was a premier line the last time I flew UA exYYZ. Was 3 lines... Polaris/1K, Premier, others.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Instead of having separate Premier Access counters, a lot of airports are just putting up 1K/Polaris signage. All agents I’ve spoken to have confirmed that’s the Premier Check-In for all Elite’s & Star Alliance Gold.

Here’s the old concept before December 1st 2016:

https://peppermlb.files.wordpress.co...d-1.png?w=1110

And here’s what most Premier Access counters with Monitors (as opposed to static signs) have been saying recently:

https://peppermlb.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=450&h=600

If there are no designated signs for “Premier Access” then a Premier member is to use the Polaris Check-In. There is even a Star Alliance Gold logo on the top right corner of the new displays....

EDIT:

Just got a reply from United on the issue, in case anyone is interested.

Nicholas,

We’re grateful you took the time to share your thoughts about our services. We have reached out to our Airport operations team in LAX. We have provided them with both the pictures and your feedback, they are working on ways to have the new signage better implemented for our Premier members. In the meantime, feel free to use any priority check in desk as a Premier Silver member. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We appreciate your business and look forward to resolving this case.

Last edited by NikoLGA; Feb 25, 2017 at 9:40 am
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I agree this new signage is ridiculous! Just saw it at DCA last week! And there were people who were non elites, not checking it loitering in it!

If there's a Silver line, I use that. If there's only a 1k/GS/polaris line, I'll use that instead. If UA has a problem with that, well...

Reminds me of a local issue at SAN. The premier TSA actually reads "First Class." You have to be "in the know" to know it's the premier lane bc the sign sure as heck doesn't spell it out!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
There is/was a premier line the last time I flew UA exYYZ. Was 3 lines... Polaris/1K, Premier, others.
I flew UA exYYZ ~10 times after Dec 1st 2016, didn't notice any Premier line. 1k/ Polaris /GS line usually has 1-2 agents, the line to the left is bag drop. One day the 1k agent couldn't check me in for some reason and I was sent to the counter near the door (next to EK).
All my flights leaves early morning before 7:00, maybe the lines changes during the day?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA, please don't get silvers used to using 1K/polaris lines...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.