Wiki Posts
Search

UA Headphone adaptor / connection Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA Headphone adaptor / connection Q&A

Not sure if I'm the only one that has this frustration, but I feel like recently my headphones (Bose QC15) just don't seem to be staying in the UA planes. The CO planes with DirectTV rarely seem to have a problem - but the old UA planes (single or double prongs), just don't seem to work very well.

The double prong adapter that came with the Bose rarely work in the double prong jacks (just flew a 757 for AUA-EWR yesterday, had to jiggle the headphone jack to get it to stay perfectly to get volume in both ears - but that didn't last). The double prong jack didn't even stay in the jack.

Am I getting crappy seats, or do others have this problem?

I assume most people don't watch the movies (and 4 domestic/carribean long haul roundtrips this month & the movies are getting tiring and can only watch so many repeats of Big Bang Theory) - so maybe folks don't run into this issue - but I feel like almost every one of my flight have had screwed up audio that doesn't work well (even with the crappy UA supplied headsets) unless it on a Direct TV flight.

And, of course, the FA's (who have validated that my jacks were busted on 3 of the last 4 flights, first one I didn't say anything) say they no longer give out customer care kits for things like this - so 4-5 hour flights without IFE...guess I need to start downloading to my iPad...
usapaw likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Not sure if I'm the only one that has this frustration, but I feel like recently my headphones (Bose QC15) just don't seem to be staying in the UA planes. The CO planes with DirectTV rarely seem to have a problem - but the old UA planes (single or double prongs), just don't seem to work very well.

The double prong adapter that came with the Bose rarely work in the double prong jacks (just flew a 757 for AUA-EWR yesterday, had to jiggle the headphone jack to get it to stay perfectly to get volume in both ears - but that didn't last). The double prong jack didn't even stay in the jack.

Am I getting crappy seats, or do others have this problem?

I assume most people don't watch the movies (and 4 domestic/carribean long haul roundtrips this month & the movies are getting tiring and can only watch so many repeats of Big Bang Theory) - so maybe folks don't run into this issue - but I feel like almost every one of my flight have had screwed up audio that doesn't work well (even with the crappy UA supplied headsets) unless it on a Direct TV flight.

And, of course, the FA's (who have validated that my jacks were busted on 3 of the last 4 flights, first one I didn't say anything) say they no longer give out customer care kits for things like this - so 4-5 hour flights without IFE...guess I need to start downloading to my iPad...
I've had the same problems with mine. It became such a hassle that I just did what you suggested and download various things to my iPad. We'll see tomorrow I got upgraded so I'll give it a go and see if there is any improvement.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Same issue. I find I have to pull my Bose cord very tight to get consistent audio. In F, my solution is to stretch the cord across my lap and hold it tight by pinching it under the flap on the armrest that conceals the tray table. Also works on exit rows in Y. No good solution for non exit rows as of yet. Biggest issues lately for me on pmUA 757s and pmCO 73s.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
same problem. very frustrating, especially if there's a good film playing (for a change!)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I have problems on the old Dom. 777's and the old old 763 Dom. Sometimes on 757. Thought mine were broken but then tried the ones they supply and it was fine. Seems to me the hole is worn out.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I prefer not to use the 2-prong plug anyway and just use the single plug in the larger of the two jacks. Yes, you do sometimes have to jiggle it a lot, unfortunately. (FWIW, PMUA pax often got e-certs for this on longer flights--guess that still didn't incentivize UA to fix the problem.)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
I prefer not to use the 2-prong plug anyway and just use the single plug in the larger of the two jacks. Yes, you do sometimes have to jiggle it a lot, unfortunately. (FWIW, PMUA pax often got e-certs for this on longer flights--guess that still didn't incentivize UA to fix the problem.)
Usually I have better luck with the 2-prong plug, but even then jiggling and then making sure it doesn't move much is required, but this is true of both my QC15s and my generic earbuds that I carry.

Of course, I left my 2-prong plugged in to the jack on my flight last week, so if anyone found one....it's mine!!!!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Years past I have had some issues but not recently.

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
The double prong adapter that came with the Bose rarely work in the double prong jacks......
why use the double prong at all?? I have never used it on either sUA or sCO aircraft??
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Years past I have had some issues but not recently.

why use the double prong at all?? I have never used it on either sUA or sCO aircraft??
The jack on the BusinessFirst suite is double prong; I've encountered it on the new p.s. planes and the 787.

I think I've seen one on a pmCO 757-300 or 767-400. In any case, I know none of the pmUA planes had/have double prong jacks and I also know that most of the pmUA planes I've flown lately have had worn jacks which made me have to wiggle my plug around to get decent stereo sound.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The jack on the BusinessFirst suite is double prong; I've encountered it on the new p.s. planes and the 787.

I think I've seen one on a pmCO 757-300 or 767-400. In any case, I know none of the pmUA planes had/have double prong jacks and I also know that most of the pmUA planes I've flown lately have had worn jacks which made me have to wiggle my plug around to get decent stereo sound.
Right, but you don't have to use the double prong plug just because the jack is double prong. IIRC, the smaller plug only provides power--but pax-provided headphones have their own power anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:33 pm

I seem to have this problem more than 50% of the time. I notice it much more on the 737s than on the Airbii. I've never had it happen with a double-prong jack, just single ones.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
OMG -- I am glad to read this. I have on my to do list to call Bose to find out what the problem is. I am really confused, because about a year ago, I got the Bose Quiet Comfort 15, which replaced my old Quiet Comfort (2s i think). I never had a problem with the old ones. but I have all the trouble described above with the new ones. Not sure what changed. The outlets are typically terrible, but that doesn't explain the sudden change.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have this problem on all CO 737s and 753s. Was able to jiggle it into place on IAH-SEA, but it only lasted for 30~ minutes before reverting to the poor quality that it usually has. I've also found that if I hold the middle button my the Bose headset controls, the sound returns to normal, though quickly goes back to crap if I release it.

None of the UA Airbii, 752, 763s, 777s, or 747s give me the same problem.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Yeah, a lot of the A320's I've flown this year seem to have this problem. They're all the single jack, but I really have to jam my headphones in there just right to get it to work. This is really sort of annoying being in first class and having messed up IFE. You'd think they'd prioritize keeping the stuff in first class in working order, but apparently not.

Also, as to the 787 Dual port, apparently they've made both of the ports stereo ports, so you don't need your adapter. You can just plug into one of them. I was quite taken aback when I saw the dual port headphone jack on the Dreamliner, but another passenger led me to the light.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:59 pm

I've had a problem with finicky audio jacks as well, but I always thought it was the jack rather than the bose plug. I never tried another set of headphones though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.