Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by lgarbo
Successfully booked a Waitlisted Business Saver seat but it never cleared.

I'm now within 24 hours of my flight and I was able to checkin after getting the "We are not able to confirm your upgrade" email. However, I'm ~20th on the website upgrade list. Does this list take into account the displaced passengers or should I talk to the gate agent?
Some on this thread think that is an accurate placing (i.e. likely below all miles/instrument-waitlisted pax). Others think you should be above those people, since you are a "displaced business-class-paying passenger". You can certainly ask an agent to check your waitlist status, but given FT has such little consensus on what a correct placement would be, I wouldn't be surprised if you were told no.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I'm now within 24 hours of my flight and I was able to checkin after getting the "We are not able to confirm your upgrade" email. However, I'm ~20th on the website upgrade list. Does this list take into account the displaced passengers or should I talk to the gate agent?
Is the segment CPU eligible?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)

if you can get a UC agent that would be ideal. If you are PR-1 status, unless official policy has changed since the Plan B thread started, you belong at the top of the list. Somewhere (far) above is a quote from the UA policy itself that the agent should be pointed to for verifying your ask.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weezl
you belong at the top of the list
I do not believe that to be true.

This "displaced business class passenger" myth needs to end.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just to reiterate from the wiki, the relevant actual policy is shown here, which only lists an SSR code for being added to waitlist, which is notably not PR-1 (and is lower than PR-1).

It's my inference that W*I will place you behind any supported upgrades (W*R) and GS and eligible 1K PN waitlists on CPU flights (W*P) but ahead of CPUs. However, for everyone added to the standby list automatically, it would be awesome to collect enough data to confirm this.

The only successful reports that I can remember of getting PR-1 are from pax who successfully bullied a series of 3+ agents, specifically asking for it, until it was given.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I do not believe that to be true.

This "displaced business class passenger" myth needs to end.
Is there anything someone without silver or above status with United can do to get moved up on the award waitlist?

Situation: Booked honeymoon LAX -> SYD, thought wouldn't it be nice to fly first class once in our lives? Yikes, $5000-10k per person, not gonna happen. Oh wait it says you can upgrade with points. Talked to a united rep and they said we would be on a waitlist, but the earlier we booked the better off we would be. Transferred 60k points to united and paid the several hundred dollars fee to request both of us.

3 weeks out from our trip we were upgraded! It worked! Ecstatic. Unfortunately tragedy struck and we had to postpone our trip.

A year later were ready to go. We rebook an identical itinerary. Figured we had a good chance again booking so many months in advance. Now its 1 week out and we have no signs of an upgrade, so we called to see if there was anything an agent could tell us. "Sorry we cant let you know until 24 hours before the flight". Yikes. Why did they tell us 3 weeks out last time? I guess we shouldn't have planned all those activities upon landing, counting on sleeping on that nice flat bed!

We fly united several times a year but are always just short of making silver. It seems for the average Joe who just travels for a few family vacations or visits a year, you really have to go out of your way to get even silver status. Yes I am now thinking about flying across the country and back for no reason other than just to earn it, and maybe try to see what polaris is all about on a family vacation next year. I guess I've fallen into their trap.

I tried to get more information out of them, like what is our position on the waitlist but they wouldn't tell me. I dont understand why they let you upgrade and spend all this money (unfortunately for us, locking our points into United after a large transfer) without being transparent about exactly what your odds are of getting the upgrade? The website could show you how many people are trying to get the upgrade and what your position would be (or is) on the list when you book, then continually updating until the flight.

Finally they said that the seats we see in the seat map arn't even whats available, it could be someone that hasnt picked their seat yet but already is ticketed. Well then how about a number showing the seats that are still available for upgrade?

The reason this information is so valuable to me is because if it starts to go south and your odds of getting the upgrade are nil, why not change the flight to another day with way better odds? Why not go to another city with way better odds and then take a puddle jumper to your final destination?

Sorry I know this comes off as more of a rant, just trying to understand if we were on a fools errand trying to get a business / polaris upgrade with only 'member' status and maybe just all the stars aligned for us on the first try last year. Or did we just get super unlucky this time?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tolem
Is there anything someone without silver or above status with United can do to get moved up on the award waitlist?
Welcome to FT!

Short answer -- not really, and having status with United won't necessarily help that much either.

A year later were ready to go. We rebook an identical itinerary. Figured we had a good chance again booking so many months in advance. Now its 1 week out and we have no signs of an upgrade, so we called to see if there was anything an agent could tell us. "Sorry we cant let you know until 24 hours before the flight". Yikes. Why did they tell us 3 weeks out last time? I guess we shouldn't have planned all those activities upon landing, counting on sleeping on that nice flat bed!
Agents sometimes tend to make things up when they don't have a better answer. There's no rule about when the upgrade can clear; it can be anytime from the day you make the request until the time of departure.

We fly united several times a year but are always just short of making silver. It seems for the average Joe who just travels for a few family vacations or visits a year, you really have to go out of your way to get even silver status. Yes I am now thinking about flying across the country and back for no reason other than just to earn it, and maybe try to see what polaris is all about on a family vacation next year. I guess I've fallen into their trap.
I've been Silver, Gold, Platinum, and 1K. I would absolutely not do a "mileage run" (what you're describing) in order to attain Silver, especially if your goal is to get upgraded. It's simply not likely to help.

I tried to get more information out of them, like what is our position on the waitlist but they wouldn't tell me. I dont understand why they let you upgrade and spend all this money (unfortunately for us, locking our points into United after a large transfer) without being transparent about exactly what your odds are of getting the upgrade? The website could show you how many people are trying to get the upgrade and what your position would be (or is) on the list when you book, then continually updating until the flight.
They could, but they choose not to do this. There are quite a few reasons for this, but the best is that it would set people up for disappointment. Because the list is ordered based on status, at any moment you could drop down the waitlist when a new ticket is booked.

Finally they said that the seats we see in the seat map arn't even whats available, it could be someone that hasnt picked their seat yet but already is ticketed. Well then how about a number showing the seats that are still available for upgrade?
You can use the Future Flight Status tool at http://cablepick.net/united in order to look up the status page for your flight. (It may take a few tries; be patient). If you click on the "United Polaris business Upgrade Standby List," you'll see the total number of available seats and the number that have already been assigned.

The reason this information is so valuable to me is because if it starts to go south and your odds of getting the upgrade are nil, why not change the flight to another day with way better odds? Why not go to another city with way better odds and then take a puddle jumper to your final destination?
The change fees on international itineraries ex-USA tend to start at $300, unless you purchased an extremely expensive fare in the first place. Then, you have to figure in any fare difference, which could be extremely expensive, especially if you're changing destinations. I wouldn't pay a change fee in order to get onto a flight unless I knew it currently had upgrade space available. If you activate Expert Mode -- there's a thread about it on the board -- and look for R class, you can find if there are any flights currently available for upgrade. If you see a flight with R2 (or more), your upgrade would clear immediately.

Sorry I know this comes off as more of a rant, just trying to understand if we were on a fools errand trying to get a business / polaris upgrade with only 'member' status and maybe just all the stars aligned for us on the first try last year. Or did we just get super unlucky this time?
It's closer to the former. Waitlisting upgrades is always hit-or-miss, even with status. UA will try hard to sell every seat up front before upgrading anyone.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by findark
Just to reiterate from the wiki, the relevant actual policy is shown here, which only lists an SSR code for being added to waitlist, which is notably not PR-1 (and is lower than PR-1).

It's my inference that W*I will place you behind any supported upgrades (W*R) and GS and eligible 1K PN waitlists on CPU flights (W*P) but ahead of CPUs. However, for everyone added to the standby list automatically, it would be awesome to collect enough data to confirm this.

The only successful reports that I can remember of getting PR-1 are from pax who successfully bullied a series of 3+ agents, specifically asking for it, until it was given.
Yes....basically PR-1 minus, but presumably ahead of PR-2. But help me on this regarding jargon "any supported upgrades (W*R) and GS and eligible 1K PN waitlists on CPU flights (W*P)." Could you translate that into English?...I've been flying a lot less since the merger and have lost some of my expertise. Obviously, I know what 1K and GS mean...but I'm curious how this applies to international TRANSPAC and TATL flights. Who would have real PR-1 status on those flights?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...3 weeks out from our trip we were upgraded! It worked! Ecstatic. Unfortunately tragedy struck and we had to postpone our trip.

A year later were ready to go. We rebook an identical itinerary. Figured we had a good chance again booking so many months in advance. Now its 1 week out and we have no signs of an upgrade, so we called to see if there was anything an agent could tell us. "Sorry we cant let you know until 24 hours before the flight". Yikes. Why did they tell us 3 weeks out last time?...
Upgrade requests off a waitlist can be cleared anywhere from one minute after booking until you've actually taken your coach seat on the flight. There is no schedule. Three weeks is not a magic number of any kind. You were very lucky the first time.

United will, in general, give upgrades to those who UA thinks are currently the more valuable customers first. People who have spent the money and accumulated the miles on UA to gain status are going to have priority over someone with no meaningful (to United, that means $) history with UA.

Silver status actually does not pull you up any upgrade ladder to any significant extent. Most of the other benefits can be attained by having the Chase MileagePlus card.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 26, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes....basically PR-1 minus, but presumably ahead of PR-2. But help me on this regarding jargon "any supported upgrades (W*R) and GS and eligible 1K PN waitlists on CPU flights (W*P)." Could you translate that into English?...I've been flying a lot less since the merger and have lost some of my expertise. Obviously, I know what 1K and GS mean...but I'm curious how this applies to international TRANSPAC and TATL flights. Who would have real PR-1 status on those flights?
So, the following is speculation based primarily on the similarity in experience of automated email templates, position on various waitlists, and fragments of conversations with UA employees.

Prior to the gate, any PNR can have a waitlisted segment. This is effectively just an extra sector on the PNR with a flag set for the waitlist. When added to the upgrade standby list, waitlisted segments get an "SSR code" and you get that email about "we couldn't confirm your upgrade request". As noted by GG ONESTANDBY, the code includes the requested fare class, in addition to your status. It would therefore make sense that an unconfirmed I class waitlist (WAI to WDI depending on status) would rank lower than an unconfirmed R class waitlist (WAR to WDR).

CPUs are different and a lower priority. PR-1 would be for e.g. a paid F passenger on IRROPS who was rebooked when there was no available space in the cabin (F0).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:21 pm

Before I call United and spend hours, question...
I have economy on qantas from dfw to syd already and want to try this United biz wait list. But if I don’t get wait list clear from IAH-SYD, then I do not want this route. To redeposit miles, it will cost $125×3. Should I try this? To try this, I should just put all 3 people on separate itinerary? Have to do this before 11/1 to save 10k miles /pp
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
S It would therefore make sense that an unconfirmed I class waitlist (WAI to WDI depending on status) would rank lower than an unconfirmed R class waitlist (WAR to WDR).
Understand all that except the ranking of I class vs. R class waitlist. I can't find any ranking chart (other than R precedes I in expert mode listing). Is that how you can state that I ranks lower then R? or is it because the underlying fare class for an award (X), is lower than the underlying paid fare class for an R waitlist?

As sort of an expert in the old days regarding PMCO Plan B (and quoted in this thread's Wiki), I'm feeling a little ignorant here.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understand all that except the ranking of I class vs. R class waitlist. I can't find any ranking chart (other than R precedes I in expert mode listing). Is that how you can state that I ranks lower then R? or is it because the underlying fare class for an award (X), is lower than the underlying paid fare class for an R waitlist?
On the basis of R preceding both IN and I when listed in Expert Mode, yes. Seems consistent with the idea that anything SSRed from a PN waitlist is going to be higher than an R waitlist.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On the basis of R preceding both IN and I when listed in Expert Mode, yes. Seems consistent with the idea that anything SSRed from a PN waitlist is going to be higher than an R waitlist.
And the fact that UA opens R prior to I. R9 I0 is quite common. (Or I should say, common in those circumstances where R>0.)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasmians
Before I call United and spend hours, question...
I have economy on qantas from dfw to syd already and want to try this United biz wait list. But if I don’t get wait list clear from IAH-SYD, then I do not want this route. To redeposit miles, it will cost $125×3. Should I try this? To try this, I should just put all 3 people on separate itinerary? Have to do this before 11/1 to save 10k miles /pp
Note that there needs to be Saver award availability on IAH-SYD already, on some date. You can't simply waitlist for business class without holding a confirmed reservation.

To answer the question about whether you should book one PNR (itinerary) or three -- if any of you have elite status, you should book as a single PNR originally and then ask to be split. That gives you the best chance to keep the extra priority for having status while still making sure you'll be able to clear if individual seats become available. If none of you have status, and none of you are children, you can go ahead and create three itineraries to start with; if there is a child, you'll want to bundle the child's itinerary with the parent's and split after booking in order to avoid any unaccompanied minor issues.

Assuming no status, the cancellation fee is $75 per ticket if you do it 61+ days before your flight and $125 otherwise.

Whether or not it's worth it depends upon how much you value $375. I don't know of any surefire way to tell in advance how likely you are to clear the waitlist; as you can see on this thread, plenty of people don't clear until the airport. Since your backup is Qantas, not UA Economy, I'm guessing that you'd need an answer earlier than that.

I'd only do this if I had plenty of UA miles (not Chase UR points or any other transferrable currency) and felt like gambling. If I were transferring from another program, I wouldn't even think about it, as if the waitlist fails, you can't go back -- you'd be stuck with UA miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.