Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:51 am

I just got back from Europe using the wait list method for J class successfully but it was a long process since we were traveling with an infant lap child (which throws everything off). Several weeks back, I was told that the return flight could not be put on waitlist b/c of the infant and then I was told that I was on the list.

I get to the gate for the return leg GVA-IAD and the gate agent told me I was not on any list but that they would call the airline. They were on hold with the UA MP agent for over an hour and finally pushed it through! I have the sense that I was never on the waitlist but the gate agent perhaps did me a solid. Further DP.

On another note, I'm thinking about doing the same thing on the famous IAD-HNL route. Economy saver is open, but business saver is not. How full are these flights typically in J class?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
My son is booked today EWR-SFO-TLV with I class requested for EWR-SFO and I confirmed SFO-TLV. He was #1 on the WL up until a few minutes ago. As a note of interest. He was #1 all day yesterday but the list showed 3 people get upgraded yesterday. I called the service desk to ask how and why people were upgraded before him? Her reply was that they bought the upgrade with money. I wanted to let her know that it would not show up as an upgrade if it was a buy
up.
On a side note, can he access the lounge in EWR with his J BP for his TATL flight out of SFO later today?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by gumercindo
On another note, I'm thinking about doing the same thing on the famous IAD-HNL route. Economy saver is open, but business saver is not. How full are these flights typically in J class?
Tough. Midweek maybe you'll be lucky but people struggle to clear RPUs on this route. Probably a wing and a prayer up to the gate where PR-1 will likely help.

Originally Posted by eyuro
My son is booked today EWR-SFO-TLV with I class requested for EWR-SFO and I confirmed SFO-TLV. He was #1 on the WL up until a few minutes ago. As a note of interest. He was #1 all day yesterday but the list showed 3 people get upgraded yesterday. I called the service desk to ask how and why people were upgraded before him? Her reply was that they bought the upgrade with money. I wanted to let her know that it would not show up as an upgrade if it was a buy
up.
On a side note, can he access the lounge in EWR with his J BP for his TATL flight out of SFO later today?
On lounge: believe so, since he's in Polaris for the TLV segment and the rest counts as "eligible same day routing".

On waitlist: what you observed is entirely normal behaviour. If you are WLd for I class, requests for PN and R class (ie GS and 1K GPUs) will clear ahead of you, since PN > R > IN > I. The whole "intrigue" of PR-1 is that you are lower on the pre-departure/EUA waitlist than people using GPUs, but higher than them on the gate list (which only becomes relevant at T-1 or so when the gate agent manually clears remaining upgrades). So you would expect people who are lower than you on the gate/visible list to clear ahead of you prior to T-2 if you are WLd for I and they are WLd for PN/R.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a note of interest. He was # 1 all day yesterday but the list showed 3 people get upgraded yesterday. I called the service desk to ask how and why people were upgraded before him? Her reply was that they bought the upgrade with money. I wanted to let her know that it would not show up as an upgrade if it was a buy up.
Upgrade space (PN/R) can appear before award space (I), which would allow people with waitlisted upgrades to clear before waitlisted awards. There are reports of people who purchased TODs appearing as cleared upgrades also, although I believe that's limited to CPU-eligible routes. Being # 1 on the upgrade list doesn't matter until departure; that's the order that should be used at the gate.

His Polaris boarding pass for EWR-TLV should give him lounge access at SFO and EWR.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
He was #1 all day yesterday but the list showed 3 people get upgraded yesterday.
Prior to the gate (around T-1), the waitlist you see is not the one that is processing. The published list only shows passengers who are checked in. Passengers who have not yet checked in but who have higher priority can clear without ever showing up on the waitlist. This happens all the time.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Prior to the gate (around T-1), the waitlist you see is not the one that is processing. The published list only shows passengers who are checked in. Passengers who have not yet checked in but who have higher priority can clear without ever showing up on the waitlist. This happens all the time.
Just as an update. They did let him into the EWR Lounge based on his SFO-TLV BP. He was #2 at the gate booked 15 out of 16. He sat down in his seat 8A because it showed full after boarding was ending. After the doors closed they came to him and moved him up to 4A. It made adding the extra 10 hours to TLV a bit more manageable.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, Continental, Virgin, Southwest
I am not having any luck...yet

Need to confirm with the experts here, what I am saying is what is supposed to be happening.

I am telling them I need them to reserve (3) tickets in coach, but charge me the business saver rate (57.5k) miles and then waitlist me. They are insisting I purchase (3) economy saver ticktes first, then they will waitlist me and if I clear, they will deduct the additional 27.5k miles per person

Tries so far:
Try #1 - Operator tried to get me to book 30K saver award and then waitlist me for biz class, and if they cleared, would deduct my miles. I said, based on what I read, this is incorrect. I should have 57.5k miles pp deducted and only if I do not clear, will the miles difference be refunded. She transferred me to a supervisor who regurgitated the same things. These were non-US based operators if it matters or not.

Put son to bed, then tried attempt #2

Try #2 -

Another overseas call center. Same issue.

Try #3

Called United Web Support - Got an awesome guy here in the US - he knew exactly what I wanted to do and understood why the overseas agents couldn't. Confirmed me into Saver Coach @ Biz Saver rate.

Edit: After talking with my new friend, he did state that if you ever get to an "overseas" call center, you can immediately request to talk to a US call center, and they "should" transfer you.

Last edited by Minter66; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Minter66
I am not having any luck...yet

Need to confirm with the experts here, what I am saying is what is supposed to be happening.

I am telling them I need them to reserve (3) tickets in coach, but charge me the business saver rate (57.5k) miles and then waitlist me. They are insisting I purchase (3) economy saver ticktes first, then they will waitlist me and if I clear, they will deduct the additional 27.5k miles per person

Tries so far:
Try #1 - Operator tried to get me to book 30K saver award and then waitlist me for biz class, and if they cleared, would deduct my miles. I said, based on what I read, this is incorrect. I should have 57.5k miles pp deducted and only if I do not clear, will the miles difference be refunded. She transferred me to a supervisor who regurgitated the same things. These were non-US based operators if it matters or not.

Put son to bed, then tried attempt #2

Try #2 -

Another overseas call center. Same issue.

Try #3

Called United Web Support - Got an awesome guy here in the US - he knew exactly what I wanted to do and understood why the overseas agents couldn't. Confirmed me into Saver Coach @ Biz Saver rate.

Edit: After talking with my new friend, he did state that if you ever get to an "overseas" call center, you can immediately request to talk to a US call center, and they "should" transfer you.
Well done. HUCA works. I have had better luck with overseas agents but that's why they say YMMV all the time here.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by weezl
Well done. HUCA works. I have had better luck with overseas agents but that's why they say YMMV all the time here.
As a MM gold, I always get US call centers, most agents initially don't "get it." Usually, I ask them to check with a supervisor and they come back and do it.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by weezl
Thanks, now hopefully my party of 3 clears in to it.

Its AMS - IAD - DFW on 9/15

J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P8PN2R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V 9W9S9T9L9K9G0N9XN9X9

Was watching same flight for tomorrow and right at T-24 IN and I opened to the full 9+.

We shall see....
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Minter66
Thanks, now hopefully my party of 3 clears in to it.

Its AMS - IAD - DFW on 9/15

J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P8PN2R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V 9W9S9T9L9K9G0N9XN9X9

Was watching same flight for tomorrow and right at T-24 IN and I opened to the full 9+.

We shall see....
The 9/15 flight is currently booked 25/39. That seems fairly high for 3 weeks out.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
The 9/15 flight is currently booked 25/39. That seems fairly high for 3 weeks out.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. There was a lot of availability leading up to that weekend, and then there has been nothing, nada, zilch.

To my knowledge there are no major events occurring that weekend in Amsterdam, but I could be missing something.

I chose this route because the AMS - IAH - DFW was even worse in availability.

Last edited by Minter66; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The last couple of times I've done this I've been added to the upgrade list automatically on checkin, but roughly where I'd expect to be if I were GPUing. Has anyone been able to confirm whether people are being added with the right priority?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I booked a honeymoon trip recently for my son and his fiancee DEN - CUN using miles. The plan was to go all coach, but when the only way I could get them back on the right day was to do an overnight connection in Newark, I thought I'd at least try to make them comfortable.

I called and got a VERY upbeat and helpful customer service agent who, although it took at least 30 minutes, was able to get them waitlisted for the return flights.

The CUN-EWR segment cleared a couple of days ago, but nothing yet on EWR-DEN.

The EWR-DEN portion is in lie-flats on a 757-200, so it would be really nice if they could score that one. Does anyone have any guesses as to whether this is likely to clear? It's Sunday, Oct. 29 in the morning. I'm hoping Sunday morning will be more likely to clear than other days.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by mjg59
The last couple of times I've done this I've been added to the upgrade list automatically on checkin, but roughly where I'd expect to be if I were GPUing. Has anyone been able to confirm whether people are being added with the right priority?
No clear proof, but WLing for R, I now regularly see people rank high on the list who get 'leapfrogged' prior to T-2 by a number of people on the list. Most plausible explanation is the people ranked highly are WLd for I(N) so are higher up on the gate list, but since R > I, prior to gate control a number of lower-ranked people clear straight into R. This at least suggests to me that a decent chunk of I waitlisters are getting ranked correctly relative to RPU/GPUers.

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
The EWR-DEN portion is in lie-flats on a 757-200, so it would be really nice if they could score that one. Does anyone have any guesses as to whether this is likely to clear? It's Sunday, Oct. 29 in the morning. I'm hoping Sunday morning will be more likely to clear than other days.
Flatbed-configured domestic flights tend to sell out in F early and often (as people realise they're getting more for their money). F9 D6 Z0 is not a great sign, and the fact UA is still offering a $199 Y->F fare differential will probably eat away at inventory further. I would prepare to sit in Y, and hope to get lucky in the event of no-shows at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.