Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 21, 13, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i'm sorry to ask a question that's undoubtedly been asked and answered before, but i am (not surprisingly) not getting consistent answers from UA.

if i book ORD-FRA-DEL as a standard award in biz because there's no saver inventory available, can i waitlist for saver? does it matter that one segment is on LH?

if saver inventory comes up for one segment, or two, will the waitlist automagically clear, or do i need to call to make that happen?

will i incur a change fee as a gold for any of this?

thanks in advance. i'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but i'm having a hard time figuring it out.
Old Jul 21, 13, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
i'm sorry to ask a question that's undoubtedly been asked and answered before, but i am (not surprisingly) not getting consistent answers from UA.

if i book ORD-FRA-DEL as a standard award in biz because there's no saver inventory available, can i waitlist for saver? does it matter that one segment is on LH?

if saver inventory comes up for one segment, or two, will the waitlist automagically clear, or do i need to call to make that happen?

will i incur a change fee as a gold for any of this?

thanks in advance. i'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but i'm having a hard time figuring it out.
per award T&Cs

Waitlisting for travel awards is permitted on flights operated by United, and will be automatically confirmed, if the waitlisted cabin is available, based on the status of the account holder. Courtesy waitlists may be requested and held up to 24 hours before itinerary departure. Confirming a Standard Award and waitlisting for a Saver Award is not permitted.
Change award type - Award ticketing options/service fees is a fee event.
Old Jul 21, 13, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Thanks very much, WineCountry!

I suppose my best bet would be to ticket a standard award now and use expert flyer to watch for saver business...it's well worth $25 per traveler to change to a saver award (and save 90k miles per person ) if that comes available. Make sense?
Old Jul 25, 13, 10:36 am

If the waitlist clears and I already booked a saver award, is there a fee involved to get the flight i wanted?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 7, 13 at 6:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 29, 13, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yolie View Post
Anyone?
don't think there should be
Old Jul 29, 13, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yolie View Post
If the waitlist clears and I already booked a saver award, is there a fee involved to get the flight i wanted?
You might see a difference in fees & taxes which they'll collect (or refund) when you call after the waitlist has cleared and get the ticket reissued.
Old Jul 29, 13, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
You might see a difference in fees & taxes which they'll collect (or refund) when you call after the waitlist has cleared and get the ticket reissued.
Not quite. If the OP is not a Premier, or is a lower-level Premier, there will be a fee if the change meets one of the criteria.

Many agents will waive this, but other do not. I've seen in both ways.
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Not quite. If the OP is not a Premier, or is a lower-level Premier, there will be a fee if the change meets one of the criteria.

Many agents will waive this, but other do not. I've seen in both ways.
In addition to change in taxes & fees, if any.
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
So if you book XXX-YYY-ZZZ as a SaverBusiness but the YYY-ZZZ is in economy and later on YYY-ZZZ availability opens up in Biz you should be able to call up and have them re-confirm in the "proper" class for either a waived fee or $25 per change (if gold)?
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:13 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million M; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
I am GS and booking a trip to Far East (Japan) for the fall. I don't mind EWR/NRT nonstop Business First but the fare is too high on a roundtrip basis (EWR/NRT/EWR). Routing thru IAD or ORD is better but that means United rather than Continental Business First. What is best way short of paying to get to Global First-miles or GPU's?
Old Jul 29, 13, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I no longer have status If I book ORD-AMS-FRA on UA then LH in saver C, can I waitlist for ORD-FRA direct on UA? Our return leg is going to be MUC-ORD direct on UA. We will have a lap child with the 10% fee. If we waitlist for the direct ORD-FRA leg and it clears, is there a change fee? Would it also recalculate the 10% lap child fee? Finally, can I book the original routing online to save the phone booking fee, then just call them to waitlist without an additional phone fee? Thanks for all your help.
Old Jul 29, 13, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAORD View Post
I no longer have status If I book ORD-AMS-FRA on UA then LH in saver C, can I waitlist for ORD-FRA direct on UA? Our return leg is going to be MUC-ORD direct on UA. We will have a lap child with the 10% fee. If we waitlist for the direct ORD-FRA leg and it clears, is there a change fee? Would it also recalculate the 10% lap child fee? Finally, can I book the original routing online to save the phone booking fee, then just call them to waitlist without an additional phone fee? Thanks for all your help.
1. Book the original routine online. Do not include the child.
2. Call in to waitlist (this is free).
3. If it clears, call in and then add the child. They may waive the change in booking since you're adding the child and clearing the waitlist.
4. If it never clears (within a few days of OLCI), call in to add the child.

You can also add the child upfront but it just complicates things if you change carriers.
Old Jul 29, 13, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
1. Book the original routine online. Do not include the child.
2. Call in to waitlist (this is free).
3. If it clears, call in and then add the child. They may waive the change in booking since you're adding the child and clearing the waitlist.
4. If it never clears (within a few days of OLCI), call in to add the child.

You can also add the child upfront but it just complicates things if you change carriers.
Thanks for the response aacharya. I wanted to add the child upfront because it's my understanding that the 10% is based on the lowest fare in that cabin at the time of booking, or if added later, at the time of adding the child to the reservation. If I wait until closer, that fee is sure to increase. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 13, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAORD View Post
Thanks for the response aacharya. I wanted to add the child upfront because it's my understanding that the 10% is based on the lowest fare in that cabin at the time of booking, or if added later, at the time of adding the child to the reservation. If I wait until closer, that fee is sure to increase. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
You're correct with respect to fee calculation.

With respect to costs - you'll pay more due to the calculation of two one-ways (LH/UA out, UA back). And probably get a refund when you rebook onto an all UA itinerary. Hence, it gets complicated, if you ask me.

Hard to predict how up or down the cost of C seats are - the pricing acts differently from Y seats.
Old Jul 29, 13, 1:44 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
More avail differentiation between elites and GMs now

Have observed that recently, there has been a significant move towards greater elite availability of seats that aren't available for GMs. R & RN vs I & IN for example. Good news for elites, not so hot for GMs. But at least Jeff's giving elites something... not everything is being taken away.

This is relevant to waitlisting because it makes a difference whose MP account the tickets were obtained through. Definitely in your favor to raid the account of an elite vs a GM these days!

I am not finding current evidence to support this statement. One of those things where I'm sure I saw it, but when challenged... where? I'll keep looking but could be that I misread things. Need to not post late at night!

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jul 29, 13 at 4:41 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: