Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 21, 13, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lable-not.html

See Post 11. It's also discussed in other threads.
b8b, you have your answer! Thanks for the clarification aacharya!

Code:
Its all under GG SDC....Line number 89

Customers making a change to a mid point connection after travel has begun may do so free of charge....

Now the tricky part is when you want to do this and you have a bag checked..No bags no problem...

GG STANDBY says Passengers with checked bags will be permitted to standby for earlier departure only when it can be confirmed that the checked baggage can be transferred to the desired flight.
Old Jul 3, 13, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
I had a reservation ticketed with UA miles for two people - but no UA flights.
Because I wanted a direct UA flight waitlisted I called in to split the ticket and was said 100% not possible on *A award.
Asked to waitlist. First agent said can only be done if you have all UA flights.
Second agent said he did it in about 2min - but nothing showed up.

Finally I cancelled this PNR and called to book two separate ones - BIG mistake. Agent first thought she could split it, then realized she couldnt.
She went to super and came back with theory that not splitting is better for my chances to clear two people. I said I will take my chances...
In the end she still booked it as one and after talking more to supervisor said, and I quote as close as possible:
"The supervisor told me that I could lose my commission if I book two reservations for two exact paths for exact same miles. I could lose my job."

No point in arguing... Its properly waitlisted since I could see the segment now in PNR, but there is no way my chances of clearing EWR-DEL are better with two ppl than one at a time... Are they? Am I crazy?
I think I will have to book it 3rd time with separate agents...
Old Jul 3, 13, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly View Post
I called and was told I cannot waitlist on non-UA metal for awards. Is this correct?
That is correct.

You can waitlist from non-UA metal to UA metal, but can't waitlist at all for non-UA metal.

Some poorly-trained/lazy/ill-informed/whatever agents will insist that having a non-UA segment at all on an itin means you can't waitlist for anything, UA or otherwise. I had one recently try to claim that "whoever did this" (waitlisting two UA metal segments in place of confirmed LH segments on an award) was "wrong and shouldn't have been allowed to do so." She even claimed that would "mess up" the whole ticket, but I managed to convince her to leave the waitlisted segments alone.

I am also watching the inventory via SBM12's tool and ANA so I should be able to spot it if it opens up, but I think that I should be able to WL for J>F.
All you can do is watch. If it's really important to you, use Expert Flyer and set up alerts. You will have to call in to get the segments switched when space is available.

2. Off topic, but I also asked for the e-ticket/record locator numbers for my NH/OZ/TG flights and the UA Award desk told me that the Eticket is the same for all of the flights, the 016 UA stock....I think that is wrong since 1. these are not code shares, 2. Its a ticket with stopovers that wont all be printed on day one of my journey, and 3. I have different Confirmation #'s from each individual airline...I want the eticket number in order to select my seats on each carriers www. Should I also call back for another agent willing to dig those e-ticket numbers out for me?
AFAIK, the agent was correct. It is a single tiicket, issued on UA stock. It doesn't matter that you have stopovers or non-UA-codeshares. You could actually have an itin on 016 stock which doesn't have any UA metal or UA codeshares at all on it, and no *A carriers, even.

The PNRs will differ between carriers, but the ticket # is all 016...
Old Jul 5, 13, 2:06 pm

I have a question about options if a waitlisted award flight does not open up. I've been waitlisted on a n/s flight from IAD > GVA on July 20th for many months. I am Premier Silver and confirmed with a Saver Award on the same flight on July 21st but would really like to fly on the 20th. Unfortunately, I have a meeting in WDC until noon on the 20th so none of the earlier flights are possible.

I've tried the Flyer Talk strategy of repeatedly calling the Premier desk until I finally got what I think is straight information on this. I am willing to go to the airport on the 20th to try to fly stand-by on the flight I want, but I was told that since the flight I want is 24 hours earlier than the flight I am confirmed on, it is very likely that I will be told I cannot get on the stand-by list. Does this sound correct? My impression is that my chance of finding someone from UA who would bend the rules a bit and put me on the stand-by list is very small. Has anyone else managed to get on the stand-by list in this type of situation?

Any suggestions? My impression is that my chances of getting off the waitlist at this point are very low. Agreed?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 5, 13, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mjsinch View Post
... I am willing to go to the airport on the 20th to try to fly stand-by on the flight I want, but I was told that since the flight I want is 24 hours earlier than the flight I am confirmed on, it is very likely that I will be told I cannot get on the stand-by list. Does this sound correct? ...
that is correct and the computer will no allowed SDC -- also the fare class needs to be available and that could be a problem at that point

... My impression is that my chance of finding someone from UA who would bend the rules a bit and put me on the stand-by list is very small. Has anyone else managed to get on the stand-by list in this type of situation? ...
this has happen but requires the agent to overrule (and be recorded as such) doing this.

... Any suggestions? My impression is that my chances of getting off the waitlist at this point are very low. Agreed? ...
not sure I would state this, but you best time for this will likely be in the last few hours prior to desired flight. But I would not give up hope -- watch the Y fare class and as long as it is Y9 or even a bit less as you get close the possibilities exist -- the available seats may not be the best, but keep watching....
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:23 am

Thanks for your help!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
not sure I would state this, but you best time for this will likely be in the last few hours prior to desired flight. But I would not give up hope -- watch the Y fare class and as long as it is Y9 or even a bit less as you get close the possibilities exist -- the available seats may not be the best, but keep watching....
What's the best way to watch the Y fare class? And does Y9 mean 9 seats are left? I assume I should be calling UA at that point to see if they will confirm me on the flight?
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your help!

What's the best way to watch the Y fare class? And does Y9 mean 9 seats are left? I assume I should be calling UA at that point to see if they will confirm me on the flight?
Y9 means there are least 9 seats (maybe more). For whatever reason, only a single digit is used to show availability.
Old Jul 7, 13, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Y9 means there are least 9 seats (maybe more). For whatever reason, only a single digit is used to show availability.
Remnants of COBOL programming days and the desire not to provide too much competitive information. Some airlines limit the max number visible to 4.
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Thanks, but where on the website can I find this information?
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Remnants of COBOL programming days and the desire not to provide too much competitive information.
More the latter.
Old Jul 8, 13, 12:09 am

Thanks, but where on the website can I find this information?
Need to sign-up for Expert Mode (read the T&Cs)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html
and then while booking click on fare class hyperlinks for the segments you are considering.
Old Jul 8, 13, 4:20 pm

Need to sign-up for Expert Mode (read the T&Cs)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html
and then while booking click on fare class hyperlinks for the segments you are considering.
Thanks again, WineCountryUA! The flight does show Y9 and lots of open seats in Economy Plus - and I'm Silver but not sure if I am eligible for Economy Plus on an Award Flight.

One more thing: One of the agents told me that they do not move people off the waitlist in the last 24 hours before the flight. Does that sound right?
Old Jul 8, 13, 4:41 pm

.... The flight does show Y9 and lots of open seats in Economy Plus - and I'm Silver but not sure if I am eligible for Economy Plus on an Award Flight. ...
access to E+ is the same regardless of paid or award ticket, Silvers can select open E+ seats at T-24

.... One of the agents told me that they do not move people off the waitlist in the last 24 hours before the flight. Does that sound right?
If they are stating that once T-24 occurs the alternative award flight waitlist disappears, i believe that is correct. At T-24 you change to SDC (Same Day Change).
Old Jul 10, 13, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Surprised that another segment cleared on its own (though with no note from UA--I got the EF alert, went in to .bomb, and saw the segment was now shown as "XN confirmed" but with the old segment also there and a message to contact reservations to have the ticket reissued).

Still no I/IN available, and when I asked the agent to waitlist for that now that I was at least on the right flight, she claimed it was impossible. "You can only waitlist in the same cabin of service." Well, time to HUACA and hope she hasn't annotated the PNR to that effect. Glad that the last agent--who on looking at the itin to clean it up after a schedule change said, "Whoever did this [waitlisted the XN segment] wasn't supposed to, and it isn't going to clear on its own. They shouldn't have done that, and it might mess up your entire reservation."

Why is it so hard to get the agents trained on this? I suppose it's not something they do that often, but sheesh, it's not like the training should need to be that involved, either.
Old Jul 12, 13, 8:46 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
only took two agents to add waitlist to all partner pnr..
first one who specifically highlighted he was at 1k desk in Chicago claimed you cant add waitlist on without any UA flights already there... "we need to see a lot of united flights to add waitlist"

second agent spend a whole of 15s to add waitlist in proper IN bucket...

I wish I could could back and ask for the first agent just to educate him, but even if it was possible I probably wouldnt do it for fear of retribution/annotation...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: