Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If confirmed in economy and waitlisted for first on a three-cabin flight, is it possible to be put on the standby list for both first and business, or would it only be first?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mjg59
If confirmed in economy and waitlisted for first on a three-cabin flight, is it possible to be put on the standby list for both first and business, or would it only be first?
My understanding is that you have to choose one cabin for your waitlist. So, if you have chosen F, C is not a default position....
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 747FC
My understanding is that you have to choose one cabin for your waitlist. So, if you have chosen F, C is not a default position....
That makes sense for the waitlist, but it seems strange to have a confirmed seat in economy and an entry on the first class upgrade list, but no chance to sit in C if that doesn't clear. How's it handled for the case where a full-fare F ticket holder has ended up in Y?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
XN into IN successful (IAD-LHR)

I booked an saver award earlier this year with segment IAD-LHR. Thanks to the advice in this thread, I called the 1K line and booked XN, though charged at the BusinessFirst Saver price and requested IN class.

Well this morning, one week before the flight, I checked and IN class had opened up! I was able to use the United app to select a seat in BusinessFirst. No email notification though.

Just glad that the system works as expected sometimes.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Urgent: Who gets priority for upgrade?

We paid for Biz Saver Award but confirmed in Economy.
We were the first on the waitlist and suddenly 2 people went ahead of us.
20 minutes before the online check in, I was told that it is only 2 of us on the waitlist.

So... the 2 people that got in front of us, today paid $500/each and 25K miles/each from L fare.

My question is: who gets priority first in this case?
paid for 2 biz saver awards 55k each one way and confirmed in economy VS
passengers who within 24 hrs of flight paid 25k and $500/each from L fare
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Awards and Upgrades clear from different buckets. There could have been R buckets for upgrade but no I buckets for Awards.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You *should* have priority at the gate, coded PR-1 as a displaced passenger, but reported success rates of getting agents to do this correctly at the gate are extremely low.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2016 at 5:02 pm Reason: cleanup after merge

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If there is extra cash on the table, you can count on United's IT to grab it first. So a miles plus cash upgrade will trump miles alone.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:04 pm

I am confused (( They get the priority under the rules? Is there a clear list of rules for such situations?
Should I go to the airport today - or it is useless? Flight is tomorrow

Originally Posted by findark
You *should* have priority at the gate, coded PR-1 as a displaced passenger, but reported success rates of getting agents to do this correctly at the gate are extremely low.
[/URL]
The agent on the phone stated - yes, your are on our piority list 3 and 4! Who should I talk to? ((

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2016 at 4:57 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ellylex
I am confused (( They get the priority under the rules?
PR-1, where your case gets displaced passenger treatment,I think applies at the gate. Now you have to wait for an I bucket.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
BTW, how do you know that the two pax ahead of you on the wait list bought an L fare, and then paid miles and cash to get ahead of you?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:12 pm

Already asked
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
You may have been jumped by a GS passenger.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ellylex
I am confused (( They get the priority under the rules?
Let me see if I can provide a longer explanation:

There are two upgrade windows which are very different. There is an upgrade window which runs from booking until your flight goes to gate control, roughly 3 hours before departure. During this first window, you require open I space in order to clear your waitlisted award sector. People with instrument supported upgrades (such as miles+cash) only need R space, which is higher up the totem pole. Therefore, while there isn't technically an order, you effectively have lower priority.

Close to departure, the flight will go under gate control. The gate will use the Upgrade Standby List, which is the one you can see on the Flight Status page. Generally speaking, you will not get added to this list automatically with a sector waitlisted for I class. FT reports (per the thread I linked) that you can call an agent and asked to be placed on this list with highest priority (called PR-1), but many people have said that it is very rare to get an agent who is willing to do this.

So, I would ask:

*How do you know where you are in the list (an agent told you)?
*Have you checked in for your flight?
*Do you appear on the Upgrade Standby List when you look at your Flight Status?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:20 pm

IT department disclosed that passengers that got ahead of us are on L fare and an hour ago purchased upgrades with miles and copay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.