Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Booked

3F seats but the short haul IAH-LAX I was booked into XN due to I being unavail.

Agent waitlisted me into I. 13 seats avail but UA did not open any I Space.
11 seats gone, now #5 on the Upg list.

Did the Agent waitlist the right fare class because she wasn't sure about this process.

Thanks in advanced.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Booked 3F seats but the short haul IAH-LAX I was booked into XN due to I being unavail.

Agent waitlisted me into I. 13 seats avail but UA did not open any I Space.
11 seats gone, now #5 on the Upg list.

Did the Agent waitlist the right fare class because she wasn't sure about this process. ...
As a Plat you should have been waitlisted for IN but it probably would have not matter. I/IN opening close to departure is rare. R availability would have not helped.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:23 am

I have a question, if I'm looking to book a business saver award seat one way to Spain from EWR next June, but there is no availability right now, should I call the number on the back of my explorer card and ask them to "book economy saver at the business saver level and waitlist me"?

What exactly should I say? I'm not even sure if this is the right thread for this. Right now the only availability is nonstop economy for 65k, and partner flights with stops at 30k (economy saver). I'd probably want to book the partner flight, business saver for 70k since I have other accompanying me and if there is no availability at the time of departure I wouldn't mind having spent 30k miles vs 65k if the 65k doesn't change to 30k itself.

What should I do? Thanks.

Last edited by Dom624; Nov 25, 2015 at 10:36 am
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dom624
I have a question, if I'm looking to book a business saver award seat one way to Spain from EWR next June, but there is no availability right now, should I call the number on the back of my explorer card and ask them to "book economy saver at the business saver level and waitlist me"?

What exactly should I say? ...
what you said -- some agents may resist if no part of the trip will book into the higher cabin. They may be will to waitlist for business even on an economy ticket.

I'm not even sure if this is the right thread for this. ...
it is

... Right now the only availability is nonstop economy for 65k, and partner flights with stops at 30k (economy saver). I'd probably want to book the partner flight, business saver for 70k since I have other accompanying me and if there is no availability at the time of departure I wouldn't mind having spent 30k miles vs 65k if the 65k doesn't change to 30k itself.... .
A caution no waitlisting on partner flights, only on UA operated flights.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A caution no waitlisting on partner flights, only on UA operated flights.
I thought you could, you'd just be waitlisted on the United leg of the flight, but not the second which would be a partner airline.

Thanks for the clarification also!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:32 pm

I have a question, if I were to book an economy saver award that involves a stop and a partner flight (EWR - ZRH on UA metal, ZRH - BCN on Swiss Airlines), would I be able to call and ask to be charged the business saver award and be waitlisted for at least the UA metal flight?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I have a question, if I were to book an economy saver award that involves a stop and a partner flight (EWR - ZRH on UA metal, ZRH - BCN on Swiss Airlines), would I be able to call and ask to be charged the business saver award and be waitlisted for at least the UA metal flight?
Yes. But you would need to continue to look yourself for the availability on Swiss.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Yes. But you would need to continue to look yourself for the availability on Swiss.
Oh okay.

Two more questions, do I book the economy saver award online then call asking them to book it at business saver level and waitlist, or call and have them book it all.

And lastly, once I'm waitlisted how does this work? Let's say I get successfully waitlisted, and in say a month at like 2am while I'm sleeping and the business saver award becomes available. Does it automatically confirm me in business class and I would get to choose my seat in the morning, when I wake up?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:41 pm

Oh okay.

Two more questions, do I book the economy saver award online then call asking them to book it at business saver level and waitlist, or call and have them book it all.

And lastly, once I'm waitlisted how does this work? Let's say I get successfully waitlisted, and in say a month at like 2am while I'm sleeping and the business saver award becomes available. Does it automatically confirm me in business class and I would get to choose my seat in the morning, when I wake up?
I usually call in and have them handle everything for me. In my mind, it is worth the booking fee.

If you waitlist clears, you are then automatically confirmed. However, to get the seat you want, you either call in or do it online.

Good luck!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I usually call in and have them handle everything for me. In my mind, it is worth the booking fee.

If you waitlist clears, you are then automatically confirmed. However, to get the seat you want, you either call in or do it online.

Good luck!
By waitlist clearing do you mean having the business saver award open up online at any time and I automatically getting one of those available saver awards?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:44 pm

By waitlist clearing do you mean having the business saver award open up online at any time and I automatically getting one of those available saver awards?

Thanks!
yes. just make you have miles for J or F seat deducted when you make your reservation, and after it is made, that the online reservation shows "I Class Requested" (for Business) or "O Class Requested" (For First).
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I have itinerary booked IAD-HDN-DEN in I, and then I'm waitlisted for IAD-DEN I class, it's been like this for months. HDN-DEN is completely sold out over a month out, the flight doesn't show up in a flight search. Do they ever load balance in these situations - not just on the day when I class on IAD-DEN will be unavailable?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:33 pm

Anyone have a recent report of being able to waitlist X/XN into I/IN? I just spoke with a very adamant CSR who claimed he was well aware of the procedure but had been told not to perform it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreenmen
Anyone have a recent report of being able to waitlist X/XN into I/IN? I just spoke with a very adamant CSR who claimed he was well aware of the procedure but had been told not to perform it.
Just did it the other day.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by littlegreenmen
i did it and cleared a few months back. call back and speak to someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.