Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 15, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
If you have the miles to ask for ON requested, have those deducted and hope for the best.
ON is upgrade class.

OP needs O class availability.
Old Sep 14, 15, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
yes very standard as long as the flight is UA operated
I'll be darned. I did not know this! After all these years [sigh]

And sure enough, it's on the itinerary now.

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 14, 15, 12:42 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
ON is upgrade class.

Oops. Too early where I am. Thanks for correction.
Old Sep 14, 15, 3:00 pm

ON is upgrade class.

Thanks Kacee. I logged into my account, i have both XN (economy) and then on the bottom, it says O waitlisted.

Is this adequate? If the space doesn't get purchased, do I get upgraded then?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 15 at 4:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 16, 15, 2:14 am

I booked a saver award for my mother on September 24 from HNL-NRT in business and from NRT-ICN in economy and waitlisted for businessfirst.

It looks like availability might be tight for the upgrade as united.com's showing no seats even if paying for a business class ticket.

If businessfirst is not available, would my mother be eligible for economy plus even if she's not an elite member with United? Also, at NRT, would she be eligible for lounge access at the NH lounge if she's in on an incoming business ticket but booked on economy departing NRT?

Last edited by vprp; Sep 16, 15 at 2:22 am
Old Sep 16, 15, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by vprp View Post
If businessfirst is not available, would my mother be eligible for economy plus even if she's not an elite member with United?
Not technically, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Originally Posted by vprp View Post
Also, at NRT, would she be eligible for lounge access at the NH lounge if she's in on an incoming business ticket but booked on economy departing NRT?
Eligible for the United Club, but not the NH lounge (assuming she's not *G).

btw, the UC is probably the place to ask for a free E+ seat.
Old Sep 17, 15, 3:42 pm

Hi all-

It is T-24 now. Nothing has been cleared (booked XN economy saver SFO-LHR). Should I check in now or wait till I get to airport and request PR-1 (or is it PR-2, I'm 1K)? Confused of when I can ask to be put on the upgrade list. I'm really nervous because even after reading this whole thread, I'm still really confused. Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 15, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
It is T-24 now. Nothing has been cleared (booked XN economy saver SFO-LHR). Should I check in now or wait till I get to airport and request PR-1 (or is it PR-2, I'm 1K)? Confused of when I can ask to be put on the upgrade list. I'm really nervous because even after reading this whole thread, I'm still really confused. Thanks!
There is good reason to be confused.
There is nothing more that can be done until you get to the gate and then there is a high chance the GA will be unaware of the process or will not be interested in doing anything. But maybe you will get lucky and get a GA that will handle the request if any space still exists.

This is a process that does not work well unless it clears prior to T-24.
Old Sep 18, 15, 12:01 am

Indeed. I sure miss FFCC!
Old Sep 18, 15, 5:35 am

Not technically, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Eligible for the United Club, but not the NH lounge (assuming she's not *G).

btw, the UC is probably the place to ask for a free E+ seat.
Thank you for the answers. She just cleared the waitlist for the business seat. She always enjoys using the NH lounge during layovers in NRT so happy to hear she will be able to use it now that she's confirmed in business.
Old Sep 18, 15, 11:13 am

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Hi all-

let us know how it works out.
Old Sep 20, 15, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Hi all-

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago, and make sure you pay attention to the upgrade list at the gate. I was on the PR1 list, and was number one on the upgrade list. However, once the GA started clearing the upgrades, I noticed that the people below me cleared before me. I had to go up and ask the GA to clear me, which he did eventually.
Old Sep 22, 15, 3:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
I have a mixed O award booked for my parents from BRU-ORD-SFO tomorrow - the BRU-ORD segment is in GF, but the ORD-SFO is in X. I requested I for the ORD-SFO segment, checked them in for the flight, and their names aren't appearing on the standby-upgrade first class list in the flight status.

The booking still shows that I class is requested, and I received an email from United stating, "Rest assured that your position on the upgrade standby list will be preserved, even during the period before you check in and are added to the lists shown online and at the airport. After checking in, use the United mobile app or go to united.com/info to view real-time upgrade standby lists."

So, there names should be appearing online, correct? Should they go to the Global First Lounge in ORD and talk to the agent there about the ORD-SFO upgrade? Lastly, if they haven't been upgraded by the time they are in ORD, their names should be on the list at the gate, correct? Thanks in advance & sorry for the multitude of questions.

UPDATE: switched to O award from BRU-FRA-SFO, please disregard question above, unless you think it would be helpful for others to see an answer to.

Last edited by kthpence; Sep 22, 15 at 4:38 am
Old Sep 22, 15, 3:41 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I have a very simple domestic one-way, one segment award ticket. There was only 1 saver F ticket, so booked the missus on that, and then myself on Standard Award Economy (HN) on a different PNR.

(Both saver F, and Standard Economy are 25K miles one-way)

I am having no luck getting any of the phone agents to waitlist me for I class.

Is this a HUACA thing, or do I need to call and book it as a First class saver ticket in economy class or something?
Old Sep 22, 15, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow View Post
I am having no luck getting any of the phone agents to waitlist me for I class.
That's because confirming standard and waitlisting for saver is expressly forbidden.

Yes, you can book economy saver and waitlist for first saver.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: