Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old May 1, 12, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American
Per United Website under saver award rules:

Waitlisting for travel awards is permitted on flights operated by United, and will be automatically confirmed, if the waitlisted cabin is available, based on the status of the account holder. Courtesy waitlists may be requested and held up to 24 hours before itinerary departure. Confirming a Standard Award and waitlisting for a Saver Award is not permitted.

BUT... as I have read and experienced... being put on a waitlist (that even showed on the website itinerary) does not mean it is automatically confirmed. I was waitlisted for a flight, saw it open, saw I was still "waitlist", called UA and the agent confirmed me in 5 min or less.
Old May 27, 12, 8:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
On United, there is a separate extra process where if there is availability for a coach award but not a business-class award, you can book the coach award, pay the business-class price, and "waitlist" for the business-class award; in that case you'll end up ranked very high on the departure-management upgrade list and are very likely to get a seat in the cabin you asked for. CO has a similar setup, described as "plan b" in the FAQ. There are some subtleties so you'll wan to be careful before you do this.
I assume that now with the merger complete and all of UA on CO's ticketing systems, that the "Plan B" as described in the pmCO FAQ now applies to all UA flights. On pmCO, it was only ever an issue for economy-to-BF flights, as pmCO had only 2-cabin aircraft. Now with pmUA aircraft in the mix, the question is: how does Plan B apply, if at all, to the J-to-F situation?

I am in a position where I can confirm flights in Saver J, but it's on a crappy pmUA 777-200 with 2-3-2 seating and the old 55" cradle seat pitch in J. I'd much rather be in F, especially because the price differential in miles is so little. I called the 1K line and explained what I wanted to do, and they told me what I should do is ticket what's available, then waitlist for the F seats. The problem with this is that if Saver F award inventory never opens up, an F seat might go out empty (or with a UA employee in it) while I'm sitting in J wanting to spend more miles to get it. What I'd rather do is the "Plan B" approach, where I redeem an F Saver award but confirm in J. Then, if award inventory doesn't open up by 24 hours before departure, I would become a ticketed but displaced F passenger, and be ahead of any upgrade waitlisted passenger or passrider and would be guaranteed the F seat assuming one was available (and that the airport personnel do their jobs properly, which is a separate issue).

I tried to explain this to the 1K agent, but he acted as if he didn't know what I was talking about. After the call, I did find this on the website:

Premier members who have used miles for award travel in United Global FirstSM, United First® or United Business®, but can only confirm seats on some segments in United Economy®, may stand by for the higher cabin at the airport within two hours of departure. Premier members should simply notify the airport agent upon check-in. For unused United Global First or United Business awards, the mileage difference between United Economy and the higher cabin may be re-deposited free of charge. This benefit only applies to United Airlines and Copa Airlines flights.
That precisely describes Plan B, in Y-to-J mode or Y-to-F mode, but not J-to-F. One could assume that the wording disallows J-to-F Plan B. If that were the case, it would be nice if it simply said "Not available for BF-to-F standby" as that would confirm it. As it stands, I think it's at least possible that it's just the old pmCO wording with Global First and First added to it, and that they really didn't mean to exclude BF-to-F standby.

So, does anyone know for sure? I tried to search for an answer and could not find one, so apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before.
Old Jun 13, 12, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Ok, so I am utterly confused now. UA states:
Priority waitlisting for award travel

Premier members may ask to be placed on a waitlist if award seating is unavailable on United at the time of booking. As additional award seats become available, they will be allocated to Premier members first according to Premier status.

On most United Global First and United BusinessFirst flights, waitlists for premium cabin upgrades are not permitted within 24 hours prior to departure. Waitlisted segments not confirmed on these flights 24 hours prior to departure are automatically added to the airport standby list at check-in.
Does this mean I book the entire award at C price but get confirmed all segments in Y, and the automatically get moved up to C if space become available? If so, how is this different from standby as below:

Standby for international awards

Premier members who have used miles for award travel in United Global FirstSM, United First® or United Business®, but can only confirm seats on some segments in United Economy®, may stand by for the higher cabin at the airport within two hours of departure. Premier members should simply notify the airport agent upon check-in. For unused United Global First or United Business awards, the mileage difference between United Economy and the higher cabin may be re-deposited free of charge. This benefit only applies to United Airlines and Copa Airlines flights.
The latter implies to be applicable on multi-segment trips with connections where some legs are confirmed in C/F and some in Y. However, if they don't clear, how would UA refund the mileage difference if some legs are flown in C/F and some in Y?

Am I the only one that doesn't have clarity on the entire new current process?
Old Jun 20, 12, 5:53 pm

1K Line Agent:"No waitlists. If Award space is not avail today it never will be"

Hot on the heels of my "Sorry Sir, you can't use a GPU to upgrade a ps flight" thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...light-sir.html) came this doozy just now.

Me: "Hello, I have an award booking GVA to LAX in August. I would like to change the routing and 2 of the 3 legs I want are avail but not the final 3rd leg. How do go about waitlisting that leg?"

Agent: "You can't"

Me: "I can't confirm another flight, and waitlist the one I want?"

Agent: "No"

Me (genuinely confused) "Um, I've done this a million times before, including since 3/3. Are you certain I cannot confirm an alternate flight and waitlist the oine I want in same cabin same saver rate and when the space is released, as a 1K, hopefully I clear?"

Agent "No. No such thing as award waitlist. If the space is not avail today it never will be"

Me: "Thanks, I am going to call back and try another agent because I'm not sure you are right there"

Agent "Go right ahead"

I called back - and can you believe I got an agent that said the same thing. No such thing as waitlisting. "You can't do it Sir" she said.

I thought I was going crazy so I checked United.com it says:

Waitlisting for travel awards is permitted on flights operated by United, and will be automatically confirmed, if the waitlisted cabin is available, based on the status of the account holder. Courtesy waitlists may be requested and held up to 24 hours before itinerary departure. Confirming a Standard Award and waitlisting for a Saver Award is not permitted.
You can waitlist right?! BTW the flight I want to waitlist is a United JFK-LAX nonstop ps

These agents on the premier line know nothing!!!

Last edited by TIMOS; Jun 20, 12 at 5:59 pm
Old Jun 20, 12, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When practicing Hang up And Try Again, the most important rule is to be polite and concise.

Usually better not to waste 30 minutes trying to convince someone that a rule exists when the next agent will know it immediately (and when the initial agent's supervisor will happily back them up, compounding the problems). Also best to make as little of an impression as possible so you don't end up with an inaccurate annotation on your record.

Most tricky operations have some kind of HATA Constant (the number of times you times you need to hang up and try again). It would be interesting to hear what that number is for waitlisting awards.
Old Jun 20, 12, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
When practicing Hang up And Try Again, the most important rule is to be polite and concise.

Usually better not to waste 30 minutes trying to convince someone that a rule exists
I typed up the exact conversation which went for about 45 seconds. Not 30 minutes.
Old Jun 20, 12, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yes, you can waitlist awards, both for a different cabin of service (typically this happens on mixed-class awards, when one of the flights has only lower-cabin inventory, and you want to waitlist for the booked cabin), as well as for changes in routing. I've done both several times since 3/3.

The agent was wrong and was an idiot, but what can you say other than, "Thanks," and hang up and try again.
Old Jun 20, 12, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
It's never a good idea to tell them you'll call back. Some will put a note into the PNR that they told you they couldn't do XYZ, and other agents may just parrot that line back.
Old Aug 13, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Any post 3/3 experience with plan B?

We're currently in I on 931 on the 16th. We are wait listed for O. The flight looks increasingly likely to be a B777, rather than the usual 77Q.

Plan B worked out for us last August, when we returned to SFO via EWR. Originally in E+ for the EWR-SFO leg, but brought up to First after boarding.

Wondering if anyone has any Plan B experience post the merger. Any glitches or roadblocks? Will the wait list work automatically, or do I need to monitor for O and call in? If it takes until I get to the airport, sense of where it places you vis a vis upgraders? There has been a trickle of ON availability in the past week, but no O.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 13, 12 at 1:16 pm
Old Aug 15, 12, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Answering my on question.

For the benefit of others in the same position.

Originally Posted by lexdevil View Post
Wondering if anyone has any Plan B experience post the merger. Any glitches or roadblocks? Will the wait list work automatically, or do I need to monitor for O and call in? If it takes until I get to the airport, sense of where it places you vis a vis upgraders? There has been a trickle of ON availability in the past week, but no O.
Received an email that my husband and son cleared into O roughly 46 hours prior to our flight. I remained wait-listed. Priority was unclear. I am the only one with status, but because the miles were all from my account, I believe my MP# is on their reservations. I'm guessing that their upgrade request was placed a minute or two before mine, but I'm not sure.

As an aside, I had to call in to have their tickets reissued before I could check them in.

I did not clear the wait-list at T-24. About 15 minutes later the flight went to O4. My upgrade did not clear automatically. I called in and was upgraded. It was very simple. It is, however, frustrating, that one can sit on the wait-list for months, but if the upgrade does not clear before T-24, anyone else can swoop in and purchase the seats with miles. The lesson is that "Plan B" functions just the same as other upgrade wait-lists. From T-24 on you must be vigilant. Your "place in line" will not be protected.
Old Sep 25, 12, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Update?

Anyone have an update or recent experience with this issue? I have an award booked that shows up as follows:

When I called to book the award, the story I was told regarding what happens at T-24 if IN doesn't open up prior to this was that the passenger would be automatically added to the airport upgrade list, with the priority of an instrument-supported upgrade and the status of the traveler (not the booker, as in the past). I called back to see if I could get a consistent answer, and (surprise) was told a different story: waitlist at the airport on the day of departure is not possible, and the system will continue to search for IN inventory in the background until the airport is given control; IN inventory is given to those requesting it in order of the status of the traveler. Unfortunately, the latter explanation was offered by an agent in HNL who was aware of the (former?) FFCC system. She didn't directly say that FFCC was gone, but I didn't ask directly either.

My passenger has no status so I doubt either explanation offers much hope in this situation (discounting the not-unrealistic chance that IN could open up in the next 3 months), but it would be useful to know for the future.
Old Oct 7, 12, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Just got off the phone with 3 "elite" desk reps. First one (pmUA) said you absolutely cannot waitlist award flights if there is a * partner in the res. After checking with a supervisor for 10 minutes comes back and says the same thing. I wonder if she just went to the bathroom and came back without checking with anyone else. I say thank you for nothing I'll call back and have someone else do it. Second person does it no problem and says I'm waitlisted. I hang up before confirming it. Check the res a few times and still no WL. Call a third time and ask the rep if she's pmUA or pmCO because if she's pmUA I want to speak to a supervisor. Asks for the PNR and says the WL is on there. I explain what happened with the first two and she reiterates that the first rep was right and it was done for me as a courtesy because I'm a 1k. I wish we could get rep #s for these people who clearly do not know the rules and report them. I know I violated a few of the hang up and call back rules, but that was pretty annoying.
Old Oct 7, 12, 3:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm about to book an award that has a leg BKK-NRT on 3/25/2012, on TG using UA MP. The website shows no availability in J cabin, and will allow a 'mixed cabin' saver award for Business.

I checked out that flight on Expert Flyer and it looks almost empty, perhaps they are blocking/restricting inventory for now, but wondering about this waitlisting option.

If I book it in Y Cabin, and don't waitlist or check back I assume i'll be sitting in the back, regardless of the amount of miles I redeem? There wouldn't be an auto upgrade on this?

Wondering if I can book it with the waitlist (I have no status with UA) option, or if I book it as is and call back when seats open up, will they be OK with putting me into the J seat on this award?

Guess I am asking, if I accept mixed cabin, will they force me to stick with it, and if not can I use this WL option?
Old Oct 7, 12, 9:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
.... If I book it in Y Cabin, and don't waitlist or check back I assume i'll be sitting in the back, regardless of the amount of miles I redeem? There wouldn't be an auto upgrade on this?

Wondering if I can book it with the waitlist (I have no status with UA) option, or if I book it as is and call back when seats open up, will they be OK with putting me into the J seat on this award?

Guess I am asking, if I accept mixed cabin, will they force me to stick with it, and if not can I use this WL option?
No waitlisting on non-UA metal. To change if space opens is considered a ticket change.
Old Oct 8, 12, 7:07 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No waitlisting on non-UA metal. To change if space opens is considered a ticket change.
Thanks for clarifying.

Now, to decide if I should book now to lock in Y, or wait for J...

Does UA charge a fee for the ticket change to go up from Y to J? I believe if it was just a routing change but on the same date it wouldn't have a fee (other than the 90 day fee).

So if I lock in Y and check back for J what sort of fees do you think I would be looking at to bump it up?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: