Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 31, 12, 12:33 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by bamboola View Post
I am in the same situation. According to both agents, the new CO system does NOT allow wait lists. Both told me to check online daily. Very frustrating and waste of time.
I just called to waitlist an XN segment into IN (a domestic two-class flight connecting to a global first ON award)... and heard the same story... The agent told me that waitlist is not allowed. She seemed a bit lost, so I will call back again tomorrow...

Btw, does the PMUA FFCC still exist in SHARES? And would this instance qualify if no award seats are released into IN before checkin?
Old Mar 31, 12, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by bamboola View Post
I am in the same situation. According to both agents, the new CO system does NOT allow wait lists. Both told me to check online daily. Very frustrating and waste of time.
Hang up and call again?
(the question mark because I'm still not convinced that anyone at the new UA really knows what the answer is....although I believe it's supposed to be 'yes, that's possible'...as it was with the old CO system.)
Old Mar 31, 12, 1:12 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer View Post
I just called to waitlist an XN segment into IN (a domestic two-class flight connecting to a global first ON award)... and heard the same story... The agent told me that waitlist is not allowed. She seemed a bit lost, so I will call back again tomorrow...

Btw, does the PMUA FFCC still exist in SHARES? And would this instance qualify if no award seats are released into IN before checkin?
I have one PMCO Saver reservation in C on UA with a connection in C on CA, and my reservation on ua.com still shows me as wait listed in C on the n/s from EWR-HKG. For the companion reservation I could only book X on CA and cannot waitlist with CA for C, but the reservation also shows waitlist for n/s on UA in C.
Old Apr 3, 12, 6:36 pm

Hello,

Some more questions on this waitlisting deal with SHARES. I booked a really nice combo C/F award that includes *A partners. Took four calls and two hours. The two connecting domestic UA flights only had Y award seats. Originally, these flights showed up twice in the ua.com itin, once for confirmed 'X' and another waitlisted for 'O'. It never ticketed for several days and I had to call back, agent said the waitlisting screwed up the ticket. Ua.com changed to not show the waitlisted segments and this agent got me in the right queue and it ticketed shortly thereafter. He said I would still be waitlisted. So here are the questions :

1) If I am really waitlisted for F, should this show on the ua.com itin?
2) If it were to show, I assume it should be for 'ON' since I'm 1K? Is 'ON' always >= 'O'?
3) Lets say it doesn't clear, at T-24 where should I be on the upgrade list? Old UA you were on the separate FFCC list, which pretty much put you at the top. No idea with SHARES?

Thanks for any input.

---Lawnboy
Old Apr 3, 12, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
Hang up and call again?
(the question mark because I'm still not convinced that anyone at the new UA really knows what the answer is....although I believe it's supposed to be 'yes, that's possible'...as it was with the old CO system.)
And we have posters who have done so post-3/3, too (UA-NYC's reassuring voice comes to mind ).

I'm about to do so myself, so will report back in some time tomorrow. Booked my wife's tickets for a December vacation, and need to waitlist her for the same TPAC as my paid ticket (she's currently on IAD-NRT; I want her on IAD-SFO-NRT). I expect to have to try a few agents and have also already set up ExpertFlyer alerts for I/IN and O/ON inventory on said flights (wish I could set up one alert for any of the above instead of four alerts per flight!).
Old Apr 3, 12, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
I am a non-elite on UA. I'm on LH-UA-UA metal on an F award. The last segment (domestic on UA) is in Y. Thanks to some good advice, I called in and was able to wait list for F - two of us - and it does show up on the itinerary.

Ya, I held for a good long time but finally got an agent who knew what they were doing. It was recommended to ask for a PMCO agent to get it done, but I lucked out and got one on the second try.
Old Apr 3, 12, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.6 MM
I'll relate my own experience in mid-March trying to waitlist one segment of an IN award that was booked in X.

I called in and supposedly got added to the waitlist not once but twice. It showed up on my itinerary as an extra line labeled waitlisted. Both times I was somehow bounced off of the waitlist, the second time the evening before the flight. The mobile app never showed me on any waitlist either.

When I checked in at LAS I was told by the TA that I was not on any waitlist and she had been told that generally if you accept the X booking that was it. She also said that she thought she had seen a memo recently saying there was now (all this 2-3 weeks ago) an exception to this rule for GS and 1K and that if she could find the memo and if she could figure out how to do it she would add me to the waitlist. (The waitlisted segment was DEN-PHL, LAS-DEN was already in I.

I asked at the gate at DEN and was told I was not on any waitlist and anyway they had already CPUed first class full. I flew in economy. I wrote this up in a feedback message to UA but I have heard nothing back.

So I'd recommend keeping an eye on any saver awards waitlisted from X to I. They may have changed the way the system is working by now but...
Old Apr 10, 12, 7:53 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Can I only waitlist for one flight - for a given segment, that is.

Use case: I am currently booked in a saver award SAN-IAD-EWR. Do I have to waitlist for one specific SAN-EWR nonstop or can I waitlist for either of the 2 SAN-EWR nonstops?
Old Apr 10, 12, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by lensman View Post
Do I have to waitlist for one specific SAN-EWR nonstop or can I waitlist for either of the 2 SAN-EWR nonstops?
I believe it is only one on an award flight. Revenue is different.
Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
1) If I am really waitlisted for F, should this show on the ua.com itin?
Yes, it should. If the extra segment isn't there then you aren't properly listed.
2) If it were to show, I assume it should be for 'ON' since I'm 1K? Is 'ON' always >= 'O'?
That's the way it is supposed to be. That said, if they are the connecting domestic flights then you will actually be listed for I or IN, not O/ON, unless it is a 3-cabin plane.
3) Lets say it doesn't clear, at T-24 where should I be on the upgrade list? Old UA you were on the separate FFCC list, which pretty much put you at the top. No idea with SHARES?
You should be at the top as a displaced F passenger since you paid for F but are seated in Y.
Old Apr 24, 12, 12:38 pm

Is there supposed to be some automated sweep for clearing waitlisted segments?

For example, my wife's December itin just opened up several F seats (IN3) on an award res for one of the domestic segments, for which she's currently confirmed in Y but waitlisted for F. Her itin still shows the segment as waitlisted for F (IN).

I can't call until later this evening, but so far, it's been IN3 for several hours with no clearing of the waitlisted segment.
Old Apr 24, 12, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Is there supposed to be some automated sweep for clearing waitlisted segments?

For example, my wife's December itin just opened up several F seats (IN3) on an award res for one of the domestic segments, for which she's currently confirmed in Y but waitlisted for F. Her itin still shows the segment as waitlisted for F (IN).

I can't call until later this evening, but so far, it's been IN3 for several hours with no clearing of the waitlisted segment.
There should be - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You're probably fine holding off until tonight to force it, if it's not til Dec, your call though.
Old Apr 24, 12, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
There should be - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You're probably fine holding off until tonight to force it, if it's not til Dec, your call though.
I called just to be safe since it is an A319, and there aren't that many F seats to be had.

Took the agent a while--she kept saying something about "married segments" (no, the itin has 3 flights, all different #s; in fact, two of the 3 flights are there due to waitlisting from another routing originally, now waitlisted for a different cabin) possibly meaning she couldn't process just that one segment.

After about 5-7 minutes, she came back and said, "Well, the system let me do it, so you should be set."

Down to one segment left to clear (from ON down to IN)... but it did remind me that I should call to waitlist an ON-to-IN downgrade on the return, too, which oddly enough being a mixed cabin itin priced out as a C award (the outbound priced as F--don't know if it will be worth my time if the final segment clears to C to ask for 10k RDM back).
Old Apr 24, 12, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I'm in the same bucket with one itin; I can find ON inventory but not IN, and though you'd think she'd be happy of the chance for international F, my wife has said she wants to travel in the same cabin as me (C). Given that at the moment the ON on that route is only 10k RDM more one-way than IN, I'm leaning toward booking the F seats for her anyway.

I figure if I book it in saver F, the worst thing is that she asks my seatmate if he/she would like to fly in F instead of C, and they swap seats.
Did this with my wife when we were wait-listed for C to HKG on W-fares recently. Well, about 3 weeks before our flight, she got offered a W-A buy-up for cheap, so I immediately took it thinking that a bird in the hand was a smart move, and that we could trade the F seat for a C seat if my upgrade came through. My upgrade to C came through at about 1 week prior, but she decided to stay up in F by herself and enjoyed it immensely.
Old May 1, 12, 3:36 pm

Sorry to bump this post back up, but reading this thread, I don't have a solid grasp on the following:

I have a flight booked ON in a couple of weeks on a flight that's mostly UA metal with 1 LH flight. I just called GS to waitlist a direct flight replacement for a segment that includes a connection (all UA). I got a "you can't do that even though that segment is all UA, because of that one totally unrelated LH flight on this ticket" response. Has anybody had any success with waitlisting a direct flight replacement on a mixed airline ticket (since 3/3)?

I'm just trying to figure out whether to, and how long to, play agent roulette.
Old May 1, 12, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kateem View Post
Sorry to bump this post back up, but reading this thread, I don't have a solid grasp on the following:

I have a flight booked ON in a couple of weeks on a flight that's mostly UA metal with 1 LH flight. I just called GS to waitlist a direct flight replacement for a segment that includes a connection (all UA). I got a "you can't do that even though that segment is all UA, because of that one totally unrelated LH flight on this ticket" response. Has anybody had any success with waitlisting a direct flight replacement on a mixed airline ticket (since 3/3)?

I'm just trying to figure out whether to, and how long to, play agent roulette.
Hang up and call again - who already is on the ticket should be irrelevant

Search this Thread
Search Engine: