Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:27 am

I just want to thank everyone for these great tips! Booked a business saver (Swiss) on UA with the first segment from ATL - EWR on UA metal in X. Called and was asked to be added to waitlist for I. Was put on hold, and less than ten minutes later I'm on the waitlist! Amazing! Hope it clears
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:49 pm

If Waitlist Clears Is Change Fee Incurred

I booked an international business award with United domestic segment in coach. I have no status with UA. If I waitlist for first class on the United segment and it clears, will I be charged the $125 change fee per passenger to reissue the ticket with the first class segment?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:48 pm

International award ticket in first. FRA-EWR-MIA

FRA-EWR - Confirmed in First
EWR-MIA - Economy confirmed. After calling back (twice), now says "I class requested"

Is that the correct code for PR-1 status?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
EWR-MIA - Economy confirmed. After calling back (twice), now says "I class requested"

Is that the correct code ...
That is correct for a waitlisted award

....for PR-1 status?
PR-1 is not what happens for waitlisted award. See explanation in wiki
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is correct for a waitlisted award

PR-1 is not what happens for waitlisted award. See explanation in wiki
Thanks for confirming.

Of course, I read the wiki. I guess I was confused by the "The agent should give you “PR-1 status”" - I am guessing that refers to within 24 hours?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
. I guess I was confused by the "The agent should give you “PR-1 status”" - I am guessing that refers to within 24 hours? ....!
The wiki needs some clean up but
Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.
and
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section
are believed to be more accurate
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:22 am

Yesterday morning, my first Waitlist I segment cleared. I was able to select my first class seat. However, sometime during the day the following message appeared on my reservation "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

No other changes have been made to the reservation other than I class clearing so it's not a schedule change.

Will this likely clear on it's own in a few days? I'm nervous to contact United because my return segment is still waitlisted and I don't want to have to go through the ordeal of getting it re-waitlisted if they reissue the ticket. Also a little nervous that I will get someone that doesn't know what they are doing and they will remove the upgrade and put me back in economy on the flight that cleared.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Does this waitlist work segment by segment? Asking because X/XN is available on a through-itinerary I’m interested in, DTW-ORD-FRA-STR. I/IN is not. However, if I look at individual segments, I/IN is available on ORD-FRA (but not DTW-ORD). The website is not even offering a mixed class fare.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by sannmann
Does this waitlist work segment by segment? Asking because X/XN is available on a through-itinerary I’m interested in, DTW-ORD-FRA-STR. I/IN is not. However, if I look at individual segments, I/IN is available on ORD-FRA (but not DTW-ORD). The website is not even offering a mixed class fare.
it should work by segment. but in this case, I gather, you're not waitlisted at present...you're just looking at availability...if that's the case, you should probably call and book the itinerary as a Saver Business with the ORD-FRA in I/IN (essentially as a mixed class booking) and then waitlist the other segments.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hughw
it should work by segment. but in this case, I gather, you're not waitlisted at present...you're just looking at availability...if that's the case, you should probably call and book the itinerary as a Saver Business with the ORD-FRA in I/IN (essentially as a mixed class booking) and then waitlist the other segments.
But, wouldn’t that then price out as 80,000 instead of 70,000 miles?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
ORD-FRA is UA metal? If so, you should book X/XN and then call to waitlist. Presumably ORD-FRA will clear immediately. If it doesn't work you can always cancel for free within 24 hours.

(And I would be calling rather than debating on FT. The space is going to disappear.)
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by refox3488
Yesterday morning, my first Waitlist I segment cleared. I was able to select my first class seat. However, sometime during the day the following message appeared on my reservation "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

No other changes have been made to the reservation other than I class clearing so it's not a schedule change.

Will this likely clear on it's own in a few days? I'm nervous to contact United because my return segment is still waitlisted and I don't want to have to go through the ordeal of getting it re-waitlisted if they reissue the ticket. Also a little nervous that I will get someone that doesn't know what they are doing and they will remove the upgrade and put me back in economy on the flight that cleared.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
The ticket will need to be resynced at some point, but this will not impact other segments clearing. If you don't have the ticket resynced prior to check-in, you will probably not be able to check in and will need to give the agent 5-10 extra minutes to check you in.

I would just ignore the message until you actually need to check in.

Yes, the waitlist should clear on a per-segment basis.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Award Travel - Mixed Cabin - remedies?

I have booked award travel from CTG to ORD returning from a vacation with my wife in Colombia in February. I am using a United MP Business Saver award on this itinerary CTG-PTY-MCO-ORD (with the first two legs on CM and the final leg on UA-- because 1) there are no direct flights, 2) other options were not available in BUSSAVER or required a much longer layover. Some of the ECON awards were more expensive than the BUSSAVER.

However, the MCO-ORD leg on UA metal was booked in Economy rather than I. ( I class was new to me, but I see that it is "Non-Elite and Low Elite SaverPass Business or 2-cabin First Award".) Looking at ExpertFlyer (non-member), I see there is only 1 seat booked in the business cabin at this time. Any thoughts on what might be done to get the Business seats that a am paying for?

Thanks,

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2017 at 12:07 pm Reason: merged into master thread
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by echoch
....I see there is only 1 seat booked in the business cabin at this time. Any thoughts on what might be done to get the Business seats that a am paying for? ....,
The most straightforward approach is to waitlist for the I inventory. You will need to call to do this -- the wiki has more, but it is a simple request If on a single PNR, you will need all seats to become available, so you may want to consider breaking / splitting the PNR up into smaller groups.

Note until UA opens up more I (not sure how common that is for MCO-ORD, a major leisure route), there is little else can be done. If the I does not clear in advance, you then will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Standby list.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Smile Thank you!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The most straightforward approach is to waitlist for the I inventory. You will need to call to do this -- the wiki has more, but it is a simple request If on a single PNR, you will need all seats to become available, so you may want to consider breaking / splitting the PNR up into smaller groups.

Note until UA opens up more I (not sure how common that is for MCO-ORD, a major leisure route), there is little else can be done. If the I does not clear in advance, you then will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Standby list.
Thanks, WC, for pointing me to this approach. I called and had to reject the agent's earnest attempt to tell me that because I was not an elite, I was not eligible for a waitlist, and another attempt to tell me that there was no such thing as a wait list. But using the information posted here, I was able to get us on the waitlist and I have confirmed on the website that I am on the correct waitlist- the record now says "Fare Class: United Economy (XN) - (I class requested)". At this time, about 5 weeks from the flight, there are 15 of 16 seats available in the first class cabin, which gives me some hope that we may end up in there.

Otherwise, I was able to ask the first agent I spoke to - before I knew of the waitlist - to put us in economy plus rather than regular economy without the upcharge - so, at the minimum, we have a little more room on the plane.

Again, thanks for the guidance on the waitlist.

(So, what do you think the odds are for a non-elite to get the upgrade?)

Eric

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.