Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
Im on a round the world award ticket with MileagePlus. I haven't booked the last leg home yet from Rio, Brazil to St. Louis via wherever allows. My schedule is wide open but I need to be home no later than December 14.
There is Standard economy and standard business open at 70k and 150k. If I do the economy option I can waitlist for business saver cant I? The way I understand it I can.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kylebrewington
.... There is Standard economy and standard business open at 70k and 150k. If I do the economy option I can waitlist for business saver cant I? The way I understand it I can.
You can not waitlist for saver option if you have booked a standard award (now called EveryDay Award).

Confirming an Everyday Award and waitlisting for a Saver Award is not permitted.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not waitlist for saver option if you have booked a standard award (now called EveryDay Award).
I thought you could as long as its in a different class of service? like everyday economy to saver business?

If no then whats the point of this thread lol
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought you could as long as its in a different class of service? like everyday economy to saver business?

If no then whats the point of this thread lol
If you can book Economy Saver, you can waitlist Business Saver, or if you book a Saver award on a suboptimal day/time/route, you can waitlist for a better option.

I have seen one person report booking Economy Standard (now Everyday) and waitlisting Business Saver. You can always try it; you'd have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund if the agents won't do it.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you can book Economy Saver, you can waitlist Business Saver, or if you book a Saver award on a suboptimal day/time/route, you can waitlist for a better option.

I have seen one person report booking Economy Standard (now Everyday) and waitlisting Business Saver. You can always try it; you'd have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund if the agents won't do it.
Okay that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate it.
I guess I will hold out a little longer for saver award in economy then.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Okay that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate it.
I guess I will hold out a little longer for saver award in economy then.
I checked several dates and there are flights with economy saver (30K) almost every day.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hughw
I checked several dates and there are flights with economy saver (30K) almost every day.
And partial saver business (I) back for GIG-IAD with saver economy (X) to STL on many days that week
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Was booked on a partner business saver award and waitlisted for a direct UA flight. Logged in this morning and saw that business saver opened up on the UA flight. Interestingly, I had not gotten any notification from UA (still waitlisted) nor Expert Flyer. Called in and got rebooked on the UA flight without any hassle.

Agent said I would get 10,000 miles back (got charged the current 60,000 rather than the 57,500 that it would have cost on the original booking date.) But, according to my spreadsheet, my mileage balance only increased by 130 miles. Is it common for such mistakes? Can I expect it to self correct, or do I need to contact MP service center?

[Emily]Oh, never mind [\Emily]. Turns out the 130 was for a MP dining award I had missed. The 10K has now posted properly to my account.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2017 at 1:02 pm Reason: merging update post by same member
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:30 am

Thought I would post my data point (as when I was setting it up I was hungry for any good reports) from trying all this for the first time on our recent UA flight MSN->ORD->SFO->SYD and back on the same route.

Booking it was very easy, and I only had to call once. The rep I talked to was only slightly confused about how to book the I class waitlist on top of the X class ticket, but a quick chat with her supervisor and they got it sorted out. I was charged 280,000 miles for the two roundtrip tickets, and as soon as it showed up on united.com I saw that both the long leg (SFO->SYD on the 787) and the leg from ORD->SFO were waitlisted for I.

I checked the seatmap regularly for the next two months, at at T-14d I was really optimistic. I remember naively thinking 'who would pay $10k for a flight like this on such short notice, this is in the bag!' ..... yeah, turns out a lot of people do exactly that lol. I watched all the Polaris seats get booked one by one right up until T-40h when the last one filled. I was still a little hopeful for the gate upgrade, but there was only one no-show for the flight and someone else was ahead of us on the list. So complete swing and miss for the flight there, called UA from Sydney a couple days later to get the ball rolling on the 60k mile refund.

The return trip is where it gets interesting. So at about T-10d I got a notification from United that I had cleared into I class. I was ecstatic, but then noticed that it was only me that cleared; my wife had been split into a new confirmation number and was still only confirmed for X. I figured that if I cleared, she must be right behind so we waited... and waited... and nothing. She never cleared at all, and all but one of the remaining Polaris seats were purchased. Last seat vanished somehow at T-12h. I traded boarding passes with my wife so she could sit Polaris, but obviously we wouldn't even be able to talk during the flight and she was feeling cross about the whole thing at this point, saying that it felt like a sham and was only good for getting your hopes up before dashing them.

But then sitting at the gate in Sydney with an hour to go, I saw a cancellation get processed in Polaris, so now there was one seat open and my wife was listed as second on the waitlist. Without mentioning this to her (not wanting to raise hopes once again) I started furiously refreshing the status. Minutes ticked by and it still showed 48 total seats, 47 booked, and 46 checked in -- I was starting to feel good, because we were now at T-50m and at a lot of places that is straight up too late to even check in for an international flight. As they were nearing the end of boarding group 2 they finally paged her name to the gate desk, and I told her that we both got it. Seats were nowhere near each other, but a very nice solo traveler traded her seat for the 'better' of our two (front cabin of Polaris vs back of the rear cabin) so we could be next to each other.

No business class from SFO->ORD, but we didn't care too much about that leg anyway -- we got the amazing experience on the one that mattered.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmosinee
The return trip is where it gets interesting. So at about T-10d I got a notification from United that I had cleared into I class. I was ecstatic, but then noticed that it was only me that cleared; my wife had been split into a new confirmation number and was still only confirmed for X.
When you checked in for the outbound, your reservations were split, as only single-passenger PNRs are allowed on the gate upgrade list.

If they hadn't been split, you wouldn't have cleared the return at T-10, as only one seat became available and UA won't split a reservation in that case. You might still have both been upgraded at the gate, but it's also possible that somebody else would have snagged your seat and only one of you would have made it.

Glad to hear it worked out.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by dmosinee
Thought I would post my data point (as when I was setting it up I was hungry for any good reports) from trying all this for the first time on our recent UA flight MSN->ORD->SFO->SYD and back on the same route.

Booking it was very easy, and I only had to call once. The rep I talked to was only slightly confused about how to book the I class waitlist on top of the X class ticket, but a quick chat with her supervisor and they got it sorted out. I was charged 280,000 miles for the two roundtrip tickets, and as soon as it showed up on united.com I saw that both the long leg (SFO->SYD on the 787) and the leg from ORD->SFO were waitlisted for I.

I checked the seatmap regularly for the next two months, at at T-14d I was really optimistic. I remember naively thinking 'who would pay $10k for a flight like this on such short notice, this is in the bag!' ..... yeah, turns out a lot of people do exactly that lol. I watched all the Polaris seats get booked one by one right up until T-40h when the last one filled. I was still a little hopeful for the gate upgrade, but there was only one no-show for the flight and someone else was ahead of us on the list. So complete swing and miss for the flight there, called UA from Sydney a couple days later to get the ball rolling on the 60k mile refund.

The return trip is where it gets interesting. So at about T-10d I got a notification from United that I had cleared into I class. I was ecstatic, but then noticed that it was only me that cleared; my wife had been split into a new confirmation number and was still only confirmed for X. I figured that if I cleared, she must be right behind so we waited... and waited... and nothing. She never cleared at all, and all but one of the remaining Polaris seats were purchased. Last seat vanished somehow at T-12h. I traded boarding passes with my wife so she could sit Polaris, but obviously we wouldn't even be able to talk during the flight and she was feeling cross about the whole thing at this point, saying that it felt like a sham and was only good for getting your hopes up before dashing them.

But then sitting at the gate in Sydney with an hour to go, I saw a cancellation get processed in Polaris, so now there was one seat open and my wife was listed as second on the waitlist. Without mentioning this to her (not wanting to raise hopes once again) I started furiously refreshing the status. Minutes ticked by and it still showed 48 total seats, 47 booked, and 46 checked in -- I was starting to feel good, because we were now at T-50m and at a lot of places that is straight up too late to even check in for an international flight. As they were nearing the end of boarding group 2 they finally paged her name to the gate desk, and I told her that we both got it. Seats were nowhere near each other, but a very nice solo traveler traded her seat for the 'better' of our two (front cabin of Polaris vs back of the rear cabin) so we could be next to each other.

No business class from SFO->ORD, but we didn't care too much about that leg anyway -- we got the amazing experience on the one that mattered.

Further data points: approx. how many were behind you on the outbound and inbound upgrade lists? and what is your premier status?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:33 am

Hi Everyone... long time reader here... apologies if this question has already been answered, I wasn't able to find it anywhere else.

We are planning a trip to Germany for a relatives wedding (unfortunately for award space it happens to be during Oktoberfest). Anyway there will be 4 adults and 1 child under 2 flying. My plan is to book LAX->FRA (Lufthansa) confirm economy savers, but wait list for the LAX->SFO->FRA (on United Metal)... from everything I gather waitlisting the alternative route is totally doable... and it would cost me 70,000 pts (Business Saver on the Partner), but if space opens up on SFO->FRA then I would get 10,000 pts back since UA Business is 60,000.
We want to book 5 Economy Savers (4 adults and the infant), but only waitlist 4 Business Savers. If we get the Business Savers then we would have the infant as a lap child and pay the 10%.

So the question... from what I've read I can book and split to multiple PNR's, but is it possible to have the 4 adults on one PNR and the infant on a separate PNR that doesn't have a waitlist?

Or do all infants have to be on a record with an adult?

The last thing we want to end up with is 5 people but only 4 economy seats... looking for feedback on how best to book this getting us 4 on waitlist for saver business, but securing a 5th economy seat if the waitlist doesn't pan out.

Lastly - what do you all think the better odds of waitlist going thru would be SFO->FRA, ORD->FRA or IAH->FRA...traveling last week of September 2018.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
"I class requested" when booked (X) versus (XN)

I just booked an award flight from WAW->ORD->SEA. I booked it on united.com. Flight is about 7 months out.

Business class space was available on the WAW-ORD leg (Lot 787), but the connecting domestic leg ORD-SEA on UA metal only showed coach availability.

Me: No status (other than holding their MP Explorer card).

Having done this a few times before I figured I'd book online, then call in to be waitlisted for the domestic First seats. Called in, got overseas call center, explained what I wanted, used the same phraseology that worked before - that I had booked online and paid the miles for the business class award, but there was no award space in first shown as available for the domestic leg, and as displaced business class passenger, wanted to waitlist for first for that second leg. I told the agent that I believe the request was for waitlisting "PR-1". Long pause, agent was courteous and cooperative but clearly had no idea what I was looking for. I repeated my request, thanked her for her help, told here that she should take all the time she needed, I'll gladly hold, and she put me on hold to ask her supervisor.

After about 10 minutes on hold she comes back and says it's all done, she worked with her supervisor and we're good, I confirm she waitlisted us for First the correct leg, both tickets, she says yes, it's all good. She adds, "By the way, for future reference, the code to request is "PD-1" not "PR-1". Hmm. OK, thanks, I made a note of it.

Going online now to check how the reservation looks, I note one (perhaps minor?) item that differs from previous experience...

I see that the fare class for that domestic/waitlisted leg now shows:
Fare Class: United Economy (X) - (I class requested)

Looking at another reservation I have, which similarly had the long TATL leg booked in business but the connecting domestic leg booked in coach-waitlsited-for-first, that one shows as:
Fare Class: United Economy (XN) (I class requested)

In both cases it shows "I class requested". However one of them shows the Fare Class as X while the other shows as XN.
Is this significant? (ie, would it have any impact on where we land in the various priority stacks)?

Also, should I pay any heed to her proactively informing me that she used "PD-1" to book this rather than "PR-1"? I don't particularly care what their code is as long as it works (but if there are two, and one is "better" than the other, I'd like to know that).

FWIW we will be checking in for this flight in WAW, via partner airline LOT. I'm assuming we will have online access to check in via their (LOT's) system anytime prior to heading to the airport, so we could time that to optimize our chances, or we can check in at the airport. I'm assuming we can check-in for the connecting ORD-SEA flight when we check in for the TATL on LOT.

Thanks for the guidance.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
In both cases it shows "I class requested". However one of them shows the Fare Class as X while the other shows as XN.
Is this significant? (ie, would it have any impact on where we land in the various priority stacks)? ...
I is the correct fare class unless you are a Plat or higher elite. A difference in availability between I and IN is rare.
X is regular saver economy
XN is extra saver economy saver for elites and credit card holders. It will have no impact on the waitlisting.

Also, should I pay any heed to her proactively informing me that she used "PD-1" to book this rather than "PR-1"? I don't particularly care what their code is as long as it works (but if there are two, and one is "better" than the other, I'd like to know that). ....
PR-1 was long a mistaken rumor on how this was handled. The agent is correct, for more see link

There is nothing more you need to do, unfortunately, it may or may not be processed correctly.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
used the same phraseology that worked before - that I had booked online and paid the miles for the business class award, but there was no award space in first shown as available for the domestic leg, and as displaced business class passenger, wanted to waitlist for first for that second leg. I told the agent that I believe the request was for waitlisting "PR-1".
Glad to hear it worked out for you, but the recommended phraseology is "I'd like to waitlist for I class please."

PR-1 is a waitlist priority code. You're likely to confuse the agent if you use that term when asking to be added to the waitlist. The appropriate priority code would be assigned automatically based on your status.

Is this significant? (ie, would it have any impact on where we land in the various priority stacks)?
No. XN is expanded saver economy inventory for elites and credit card holders. X vs. XN has no impact on waitlist priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.