Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Using the Future United Flight Status Tool, I see F booked 5/12, and, on the standby tab, I see Y being "full." This flight is currently oversold in Y by at least three seats (7 - F4). They're willing to oversell it by two additional seats (Y2). There's an excellent chance that Y is oversold by even more than that -- the fact that they're blocking F inventory suggests to me that they're actually three seats beyond their sales target, which presumably includes a number of oversold seats already.

As to why UA hasn't gone ahead and opened up space proactively -- your guess is as good as mine. They know that they're going to have to move some people into F, and they have a list of people who are willing to pay extra for the privilege (I vs X). To me, that's a no-brainer.

Having said that, even if they don't clear the waitlist in advance, if you're right about the low elite load in Y, your kids should clear at the gate, as UA isn't going to op-up a no-status passenger before they clear the standby list. File this under 'Revenue Management is a black art," I guess.
THANKS

I had deduced the same final thoughts, although more gut and not as much "data"

In all reality this was a "FREE" IN upgrade, their IAD-HNL leg already friggin cleared.......kinda bizarre, but we are talking United here, so anything is possible

Originally Posted by findark
For whatever reason, when Y oversells into F it comes out of the "bottom" of the inventory ladder (i.e. F8 PN4 R4 I4, oversell by 4 more, F4 PN0 R0 I0). I suppose they consider the planned op-ups as "upgrades" and still want to sell some revenue seats.

To be fair, they absolutely run the gate list before doing op-ups, but I agree it is a little dicey with the I class waitlist. Definitely make sure they are listed on the upgrade standby list at check-in (in this case getting WDI priority is probably not necessary), and talk to the GA when they show up to make sure things are right.

Domestic op-ups are very rare but do happen. They tend to be concentrated on a few routes and times - I think the most I've ever seen was seven on an E75 LAX-MSP.
I am local, small airport. GA knows me well and I help her out and give up my seat when travel plans allow. I talked to the gate agent last week and she has no idea what any of this means - she also works the check in counter as well. I plan to talk to 1K desk after I check in, to make sure wait list is appropriate. I mean it isn't a big airport, so not surprising.

I mean it is a 2 hour flight and my wife thinks that my daughter needs a "Reality check" anyway LOL ROFL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 24, 2017 at 1:11 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am local, small airport. GA knows me well and I help her out and give up my seat when travel plans allow. I talked to the gate agent last week and she has no idea what any of this means - she also works the check in counter as well. I plan to talk to 1K desk after I check in, to make sure wait list is appropriate. I mean it isn't a big airport, so not surprising.

I mean it is a 2 hour flight and my wife thinks that my daughter needs a "Reality check" anyway LOL ROFL
Haha yeah, if you've cleared IAD-HNL then I think you've gotten your miles' worth

The GA should be the one manually clearing op-ups should they prove necessary. If you're on good terms, I would just make sure the 1K desk gets them on the waitlist at any priority and then you should be fine.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
For whatever reason, when Y oversells into F it comes out of the "bottom" of the inventory ladder (i.e. F8 PN4 R4 I4, oversell by 4 more, F4 PN0 R0 I0). I suppose they consider the planned op-ups as "upgrades" and still want to sell some revenue seats.
I have seen some absolutely ludicrous situations at the gate with regard to inventory and opups. I was in J on a 10+ overbooked SFO-LHR that had ~10 blocked in J: it went to F0 J3 C0 for the days before as a result of the block, then the agents announced it was overbooked at T-1:30 and I concurrently saw inventory go to J0 R7 for a short while before the opups happened. Haven't seen that disjointed J inventory before or since.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
I am booked on LAX-EWR-BOS with IN-requested. If EWR-BOS clears and LAX-EWR doesn't, will I get the 12.5K back?

Should I have them remove the EWR-BOS segment from IN-requested, since I don't care about UG on that one and would rather save those miles?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I am booked on LAX-EWR-BOS with IN-requested. If EWR-BOS clears and LAX-EWR doesn't, will I get the 12.5K back?

Should I have them remove the EWR-BOS segment from IN-requested, since I don't care about UG on that one and would rather save those miles?
I'd like to hear of recent experiencfes w/ similar situations like this (ie AAA--EWR/BOS-LAX/SFO).

With United re-designating p.s from "BusinessFirst" to just "Business", the language now seems to clearly suggest not:

"In most instances, the MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First or United Business on another segment".

The coast-to-coast routes are not Polaris. There labeled as "Business " on a ticket purchase and "Premium transcontinental service" elsewhere (vs Polaris Business). It was a lot less of a jump to ask a mileage or certificate redeposit when it was labeled BusinessFirst.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'd like to hear of recent experiencfes w/ similar situations like this (ie AAA--EWR/BOS-LAX/SFO).

With United re-designating p.s from "BusinessFirst" to just "Business", the language now seems to clearly suggest not:

"In most instances, the MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First or United Business on another segment".

The coast-to-coast routes are not Polaris. There labeled as "Business " on a ticket purchase and "Premium transcontinental service" elsewhere (vs Polaris Business). It was a lot less of a jump to ask a mileage or certificate redeposit when it was labeled BusinessFirst.
Same goes for flights to Canada and Caribbean labeled as Business and can be upgraded with RPU

If you fly any one segment, the RPU is burnt (mileage plus upgrades seem to fall in line with RPU for verbage on use etc)

GPU is the only instrument with caveat for Polaris business or Polaris First
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... GPU is the only instrument with caveat for Polaris business or Polaris First
and also miles supported upgrades -- but the key element is Polaris class upgrade request.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
You can certainly call and inquire about whether the correct code was applied. I am Gold, but half the time I get IN requested. The "request" is the waitlist.
When they waitlist you for IN even though you're Gold, does it still clear normally?

A friend of mine just called in to waitlist for business and the agent waitlisted them for IN, but they are only Silver status. Does the system check whether the waitlister is entitled to IN (which silvers are not) before processing?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by simmang
When they waitlist you for IN even though you're Gold, does it still clear normally?

A friend of mine just called in to waitlist for business and the agent waitlisted them for IN, but they are only Silver status. Does the system check whether the waitlister is entitled to IN (which silvers are not) before processing?
Never had a problem.

Knock on wood, I'm 100% on waitlist clearance, bur the next time, who knows?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by simmang

If it clears automatically, the system won't know that they should be waitlisted for I instead of IN. Of course, if there's any human interaction involved they might notice if a Gold/Silver is waitlisted for IN instead of I.

That being said, it's incredibly rare to see a flight at IN1 I0. In my experience, it's pretty much a nonexistent benefit for Plats and above. Nothing like the actual difference between expanded X inventory, where it's not uncommon to see XN9 X0.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:15 am

Haha yeah, if you've cleared IAD-HNL then I think you've gotten your miles' worth

The GA should be the one manually clearing op-ups should they prove necessary. If you're on good terms, I would just make sure the 1K desk gets them on the waitlist at any priority and then you should be fine.
Well, they cleared, but I got 40+ emails last night from United announcing this.......

Good old IT dept
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Chetstone
Hi I set up my waitlist according to the advice here. My flight leaves in 12 hours. I called the UA call center and they said there are a bunch of 1k and global services requests ahead of you. I said I should be p1 because I've already paid miles for business class. He said you paid for coach ( i paid 57.5 K for this MXP -> DEN leg ). He said I don't know anybody who has the pull to put you ahead of them. What should I say? What is the name of this booking procedure and how do I explain it? Unfortunately the explanations in the Wiki don't make much sense to me.

Thanks
Originally Posted by hughw
Tell them to read "gg onestandby" Lines 32-55....This instructions them to place you on the standby list after PR1 but before PR2....the important thing to insist on is that you are standing by for the waitlisted seat you've already paid for, not upgrading...be polite, if you don't get someone who understands, HUCA.

Here's an excerpt from those lines. As you can see the standby code should be XCS for a premier gold, for silver or no status, the standby code would be XDS. That's behind a gold or above doing the same waitlisting thing but still below PR1 but above PR2. Chances are the call center won't help and you'll have to try at the airport, but that's still no sure thing. Please report back.

SSR CODE
WLPB STAR GOLD
WLPC PREMIER GOLD
STANDBY CODE
WBX FOR WLPB SSR
WCX FOR WLPC SSR
CODE PLACES CUSTOMER ON STANBY LIST
AFTER PR1 and BEFORE PR2
Well, they cleared, but I got 40+ emails last night from United announcing this.......

Good old IT dept
My situation is similar to Chetstone. My family of four booked saver economy awards almost a year ago for a SFO to LON flight and used the "plan B" waitlist for business seats. The waitlist appears to show correctly on my ticket and the correct amount of miles was deducted $57k per ticket. The flight leaves next Friday.

About a month ago there were over 20 business seats still available according to a phone agent. Last week there were about 10 left. She assured me all of these were paid tickets and no upgrades had snuck in ahead of me. I'm skeptical, but whatever. We are about a week out and still have not cleared. There are still about 10 seats left, but I'm not feeling optimistic about this whole thing given the disappearance of all these business seats in the last few weeks.

I understand that if I still have not cleared 24 hours before departure I should call and try to get an agent to have the desk put me on the PR1 list if I can as a displaced business customer who has already paid in miles.

My question goes to the codes listed. I'm confused about where I rank vis-a-vis the 1k and global services people. Are these 1k/global "upgrades" or are they paying? I guess the question is who/what type of ticketed passenger would theoretically be ahead of us? Would they have to be paid as well or do the automatic upgrade type of people sneak in ahead of us? My booking says United Economy (XN)--I requested. I am a lowly silver with a mileage plus credit card.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by remaxmac
About a month ago there were over 20 business seats still available according to a phone agent. Last week there were about 10 left. She assured me all of these were paid tickets and no upgrades had snuck in ahead of me. I'm skeptical, but whatever. We are about a week out and still have not cleared. There are still about 10 seats left, but I'm not feeling optimistic about this whole thing given the disappearance of all these business seats in the last few weeks.
Most premium tickets sell in the two or three weeks before departure. Most people in the premium cabin are business travelers who book tickets on relatively short notice.

That being said, an I class waitlist does not place you ahead of elites with waitlisted instrument upgrades. I is a lower inventory class than both PN and R, so it is entirely possible for an advance upgrade to clear in front of you.

My question goes to the codes listed. I'm confused about where I rank vis-a-vis the 1k and global services people. Are these 1k/global "upgrades" or are they paying? I guess the question is who/what type of ticketed passenger would theoretically be ahead of us? Would they have to be paid as well or do the automatic upgrade type of people sneak in ahead of us? My booking says United Economy (XN)--I requested. I am a lowly silver with a mileage plus credit card.
The intent is that a WDI or WCI code would place you on the visible list ahead of anyone waiting for an upgrade. You would be considered a "displaced, paid" passenger rather than an upgrade.

Given, however, the illogical inversion of priority at the gate and also the incredibly low success rate of people clearing at the gate via this method, I think a lot of it is pretty speculative.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:41 pm

My situation is similar to Chetstone. My family of four booked saver economy awards almost a year ago for a SFO to LON flight and used the "plan B" waitlist for business seats. The waitlist appears to show correctly on my ticket and the correct amount of miles was deducted $57k per ticket. The flight leaves next Friday.

I understand that if I still have not cleared 24 hours before departure I should call and try to get an agent to have the desk put me on the PR1 list if I can as a displaced business customer who has already paid in miles.

OK, here is where it gets sticky.....

I/IN may have never come available, but P/PN and R/RN may have, so GS/1K instruments may have cleared and your I/IN didn't

Once you check in, you should go on the list as a "Displaced passenger" meaning you paid for business, but sitting in coach. Essentially the only people above you are someone who was sitting in business and missed a connection and got shoved onto your flight.

I was looking forward to see how the process works, but all mine cleared ahead of time....the GA is a good friend and she would have let me look and filled me in on how it looks....

I planned on checking in and calling 1K desk to have them make sure I am in the right place and letting GA know to look for my kids. After that, not much you can do....
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, Southwest
Thank you both for the quick responses and explanations. Okay, that (P/PN or R/RN clearing) makes more sense than 10 revenue flyers all of the sudden jumping on board. Thanks also of the explanation of the codes on the visible list. I guess I'll keep crossing my fingers that the waitlist clears before departure or that I get an amenable agent willing to put me on the PR1 list 24 hours before. I'll follow up with what happens...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.