Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
Read the wiki, and tell them what to reference if they have questions, also if I have an agent who doesn't know the rule U just HUCA when they say no Biz Saver is available.

I have also had more luck when I use the "Have United Call you feature" as I usually get US based agents or supervisors

http://as00.estara.com/UI/gui.php?do...amp=1201839058
Thanks!

If I book online economy can I then call in to waitlist for business saver or is that just a bad idea and keep huca?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by vtbobf
Thanks!

If I book online economy can I then call in to waitlist for business saver or is that just a bad idea and keep huca?
Yes. Last time I did this the agent knew exactly what to do to waitlist IN on the flights I was already confirmed in X. Actually took longer to withdraw the extra miles, but only a few minutes. If it's within 24 hours of booking, you can always cancel anyway so nothing to lose with this method.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:15 pm

Chance of waitlist vs. paying for Economy Plus?

I have a flight in X from SFO-LHR coming up on May 4th, and the availability looks like this:

Available fare classes:F2 FN2 A0 ON0 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N0 XN 9X9

I haven't waitlisted yet since I was waiting to see if a work trip was going to interfere with this trip, but it's final now. At this point I'm debating whether it's worth the hour plus of being on the phone to get waitlisted vs. just sucking it up and spending the $189 for Economy Plus. I have no status on UA. Given the PN0 R0 etc. is there any decent chance of I actually opening up for this flight? 26/40 seats look available on the map but we still have 2 weeks to go. The success rate of getting PR-1 status at the gate seems pretty dicey and I would hate to get stuck in regular Economy for 11 hours when I could have at least had the extra leg room. (Obviously I would MUCH rather be in business class if I can make it happen...)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Why not both?

You don't have a great shot but I think it's worth the time on the phone to get waitlisted.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by westofhere03
26/40 seats look available on the map but we still have 2 weeks to go. The success rate of getting PR-1 status at the gate seems pretty dicey and I would hate to get stuck in regular Economy for 11 hours when I could have at least had the extra leg room. (Obviously I would MUCH rather be in business class if I can make it happen...)
The seat map isn't normally a good indicator of the load. However, in this case, it's only off by one -- the advance flight status tool shows that it's booked 15/40.

I agree with findark; I'd waitlist and then buy E+ if you want a backup plan. The money will be refunded (likely after the flight) if the waitlist clears.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
It shouldn't take an hour to waitlist but even if it does I agree with above.

Can the OP just wait til T-25 and buy up to E+ then, assuming there's still availability? Sort of play it by ear approach? Or since the E+ fee will get refunded if the waitlist clears, no need to do that?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by weezl
Or since the E+ fee will get refunded if the waitlist clears, no need to do that?
This. The only exception to E+ refund is CPU.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: united
First time poster here - trying to book my first waitlisted business saver ticket. I think I have done everything but wanted your expert opinions since I think the agent may have made one mistake.

I requested booking unavailable business saver award tickets for two international flights on United flown planes. I was debited 57,500 miles for each of the two flights and my tickets show I am confirmed in economy and waitlisted for class I. So I think I did that part correctly.

There are only two things that concern me.

1) One of my tickets says I am in XN class and the other says X. Should they both be XN? Does this make a difference?

2) Is there any way to confirm I'm "PR1" for the waitlist? Should I call an agent back?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joedonuts
1) One of my tickets says I am in XN class and the other says X. Should they both be XN? Does this make a difference? ...
No, X is saver economy, XN is elite saver economy -- only difference is who has access to invetory space.

2) Is there any way to confirm I'm "PR1" for the waitlist? Should I call an agent back? ....
For now, you are waitlisted for I/IN . the "PR1" does not become a factor until the gate and all the separate waitlists are merged.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First time poster here - trying to book my first waitlisted business saver ticket. I think I have done everything but wanted your expert opinions since I think the agent may have made one mistake.

1) One of my tickets says I am in XN class and the other says X. Should they both be XN? Does this make a difference?

2) Is there any way to confirm I'm "PR1" for the waitlist? Should I call an agent back?
Welcome to FlyerTalk! :-)

It looks like your waitlists are in fine shape.

1) X and XN are both saver economy inventory buckets. XN >= X, and is only available for elites and certain United credit card holders. UA's systems appear to prefer to book X space when it exists, and only to book XN when X is unavailable -- but it doesn't make any practical difference. Your waitlist won't be affected.

2) The PR-1 waitlist is for clearing at the gate. Up until about 3 hours before departure, your waitlist can be cleared anytime if I space becomes available. That's handled via a separate waitlist that we can't see. If the waitlist doesn't clear, you will be added to the upgrade list; that's where PR-1 would be important. You can ask about that when you check in and/or at the gate.

FYI: AFAIK, UA has never actually published the prioritization order of waitlisted business class awards vs. upgrades. While some people on this thread have had success getting onto one of the PR- lists, others haven't; YMMV.

Good luck!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
FYI: AFAIK, UA has never actually published the prioritization order of waitlisted business class awards vs. upgrades. While some people on this thread have had success getting onto one of the PR- lists, others haven't; YMMV.
Yes this has been a subject of some debate. Though recent reports are that waitlisted awards have automatically gone to the top of the list.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The seat map isn't normally a good indicator of the load.
The seat map is typically a very good indicator of load on long-haul J. The exception being China departures, where pax tend not to get seats assigned until check-in.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Waitlisted flight arrives wrong day. Problem?

I waitlisted an alternate date for an international award flight sfo-xxx. The waitlisted flight segment shows up in the reservation with the correct waitlisted departure date and time but the wistlisted arrival day shows as the same day as the departure when it should show the following day. Is this a problem or a UA feature? Has anyone else had something like this happen and did your waitlist clear OK?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:00 am

Int'l Business Saver Awards - Mixed Class

Yesterday I was able to book two one way award tickets tickets, CLT/IAH/SCL, for 55,000 miles each. The IAH/SCL segment is in Polaris, which was what I was seeking, but the domestic segment booked into Y. (There is no Saver award availability in F for this flight, but F seats are available for sale.) Is this normal?

If so, should I periodically check to see if any award space opens up, hoping for upgrades, or just live with what we have. Our departure is in early '18
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Yesterday I was able to book two one way award tickets tickets, CLT/IAH/SCL, for 55,000 miles each. The IAH/SCL segment is in Polaris, which was what I was seeking, but the domestic segment booked into Y. (There is no Saver award availability in F for this flight, but F seats are available for sale.) Is this normal?

If so, should I periodically check to see if any award space opens up, hoping for upgrades, or just live with what we have. Our departure is in early '18
You can call in and "waitlist for I class" for the CLT-IAH segment. Domestic saver availability is typically very rare but you are entitled to the seat because you paid for a Polaris itinerary.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:57 am

I just called UA and was put on the upgrade wait list.

Thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.