Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 10, 13, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I have an INTL award ticket booked with US miles. The first segment (domestic) is on United. Can I stand-by for the earlier UA flight on the same day? I'll put my 1K number on the award reservation.

Would this be SDC eligible? What fare class needs to be available?

Or do I just do standby at the airport?

And lastly, this is probably a stupid question, but it hasn't affected me for a while -- if I want to standby at the gate, but check a bag, do I tell them at the counter and they tag it such that if I get on, the bag goes on the earlier flight? Or does the need to check a bag eliminate the gate standby possibility?
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
I have an INTL award ticket booked with US miles. The first segment (domestic) is on United. Can I stand-by for the earlier UA flight on the same day? I'll put my 1K number on the award reservation.

Would this be SDC eligible? What fare class needs to be available?
Yes, X(N).
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yes, X(N).
Given that it's booked via US, it would assume it has to be X....
Old Aug 10, 13, 9:51 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by stanscan View Post
"If space was available I have always been upgraded in the past," I pleaded.
It's not an upgrade. As you said, you paid for the seat with miles, but it wasn't available. So you're not asking for an upgrade, but for the seat you're entitled to if it's available. I would never use the word "upgrade" when talking to an agent about a waitlisted award seat. The last thing you want to do is confuse them into thinking you're trying to upgrade, because award waitlists have priority over all forms of upgrades. (At least that's the way it was on pmUA - not sure about now.)
Old Aug 27, 13, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Can you only waitlist if you already have a confirmed reservation?
Old Aug 27, 13, 9:17 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
Can you only waitlist if you already have a confirmed reservation?
yes, must have booked/confirm pnr
Old Nov 13, 13, 7:04 pm

Saver Award WL gone?

Talked today to an agent stateside, who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable, and she stated that WL for Saver Awards are not allowed anymore.

I sure hope she is wrong!
Old Nov 13, 13, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Talked today to an agent stateside, who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable, and she stated that WL for Saver Awards are not allowed anymore.

HUACA

(but note you can only WL UA metal)
Old Nov 13, 13, 11:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post

What do you presently have and what do you want to WL for? There have always been some award WL limits.
WL only on UA metal.
Can't WL for Saver if on Standard
Old Nov 15, 13, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
What do you presently have and what do you want to WL for? There have always been some award WL limits.
WL only on UA metal.
Can't WL for Saver if on Standard
Don't have anything right now for first pax, but was going to make a Saver res as a place holder and then WL for the desired date, all on UA metal at this point.

For second pax/res, I have a Y-Saver confirmed on the desired flight and WL for business - IN/I class.
Old Nov 22, 13, 9:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus GM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hertz
It's my understanding from reading this thread that you can still WL a saver award N/S, if and only if you are following these items...

1) New route must be United Metal and match origin and destination
In other words FRA-VIE-ORD can waitlist for FRA-ORD on UA
2) Must hold existing Saver PNR

Is my understanding correct?
Old Jan 9, 14, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Quick waitlist question for the experts...

If I want to fly XXX-YYY on say April 1 but there is no Saver inventory available. Can I book a Saver award XXX-YYY (or even XXX-ZZZ-YYY) on say April 10th and waitlist for April 1st?
Old Jan 20, 14, 9:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I think I have it right but here goes.....

3 days ago, I booked 2 saver business award tix for goalie-parents MIA-ZRH-CDG/CDG-FRA-EWR-FLL departing today (21, Jan) and returning 28, Jan (it's for a family emergency so I grabbed the first thing I could) and from what I've read here, I can waitlist them CDG-EWR-FLL for the return as even tho the trip has commenced (or will in about 5 hours) the CDG-EWR flight will be on UA metal

Existing Itin:
CDG-FRA (LH)
FRA-EWR (LH)
EWR-FLL (UA)

Waitlist to:
CDG-EWR (UA) and only std award is available as of now
EWR-FLL (UA and currently on this flight)

So if yes, any "special words" to mention to the agent when I call in?

Thanks as always
Old Jan 20, 14, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by goalie View Post

Waitlist to:

Thanks as always
Yesterday, I was able to achieve wl status for flights on UA that had not saver award space available. No special words needed - maybe I just got a helpful and competent agent - but truly most are.

Changes were listed on my reservation.
Old Jan 22, 14, 11:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ozflier View Post
Originally Posted by goalie

Waitlist to:

Thanks as always
Yesterday, I was able to achieve wl status for flights on UA that had not saver award space available. No special words needed - maybe I just got a helpful and competent agent - but truly most are.

Changes were listed on my reservation.
Thank you ^ and it's done-took all of two minutes but one more question....

How late could the wailtist for the n/s CDG-EWR clear as the reason I ask is that their scheduled flight departs CDG to FRA at 10:45am and the waitlisted UA flight CDG-EWR departs at 9:25am and I'm wondering if it might be advisable that if after checking in on-line with LH to stop at the UA counter at CDG "just in case" (or not check-in on-line with LH and then stop by UA before heading over to the LH counter to check-in)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: