Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weezl
I disagree. You are entitled to your GPU back if only the us leg clears. Same should be true for miles used. It may be a "fight" but you will win.
um, please cite us to the place where UA says that.

If you've ever searched for saver J or F awards, you have undoubtedly seen the website return "mixed" awards where less than all segments are in the premium cabin yet cost the full J or F price. UA offers no "discount" due to the mixed cabin.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Kacee
um, please cite us to the place where UA says that.

If you've ever searched for saver J or F awards, you have undoubtedly seen the website return "mixed" awards where less than all segments are in the premium cabin yet cost the full J or F price. UA offers no "discount" due to the mixed cabin.
Here's from their website regarding saver award waitlists. See bolded area....it's saying it a bit backward, but it has been clear from the old Plan B days that if you for instance booked ORD-EWR-CDG, and you cleared on ORD-EWR, but not EWR-CDG, you get all your miles refunded, and the ORD-EWR is a freebie.

You may redeem miles for travel in United PolarisSM first class, United First, United Business or United Polaris business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hughw
Here's from their website regarding saver award waitlists. See bolded area....it's saying it a bit backward, but it has been clear from the old Plan B days that if you for instance booked ORD-EWR-CDG, and you cleared on ORD-EWR, but not EWR-CDG, you get all your miles refunded, and the ORD-EWR is a freebie.

You may redeem miles for travel in United PolarisSM first class, United First, United Business or United Polaris business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Thank you for the correction.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
I disagree. You are entitled to your GPU back if only the us leg clears. Same should be true for miles used. It may be a "fight" but you will win.
This is always the way I've understood it to work. If the long-haul flight doesn't clear, you'll only be charged the economy saver price, even if you flew in First on a connection.

Dan over at DansDeals says as much: "Even if you do get a seat in First Class for the non-[businessfirst] portion but do not get the [businessfirst] seat you will get the mileage refund"

Technically, the rules say "For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed." The fact you had a connection in United First wouldn't change that statement, though I imagine it would be hard to hold an agent to it who doesn't want to issue a refund.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question waitlisting strategy for saver awards in premium cabins on IAD-FRA ?

Here is the context ...

I booked a saver economy award on IAD-FRA on a friday evening.
and requested to be put on waitlist for polaris business on the same flight .

on IAD-FRA on fridays I am thinking that there could be a lot of paid business class flyers ..diminishing my chances to see the business class waitlist clear ...

So here is the question :

-should I waitlist for Polaris first instead of Polaris business (on the account that paid first class demand is probably lower than paid business class) ( FWIW both first and business seem to have good availabilty at this point a month or so from travel)

-can I waitlist for Polaris first in addtion to waitlist for polaris business on that same flight ? -> that would be to maximise my chances of either clearing ...
what happens if/when one clears : does the other one gets removed too ?

-is there a timing aspect to this ? .. stick with the business waitlist until maybe a week before flying and then, if it is hasnt cleared, request a first class waitlist instead ?

Thanks !
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Has anyone ever cleared off the waitlist from X into I on an EWR - SFO flight? In the past I have never seen a PS flight release a business saver award.

I am thinking of booking EWR - SFO for a flight in 2 months to try out Polaris. They have economy saver available now. Just curious what my chances are clearing before T-24 hours, and then having to play the standby list game at the airport.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by adn232
Has anyone ever cleared off the waitlist from X into I on an EWR - SFO flight? In the past I have never seen a PS flight release a business saver award.

I am thinking of booking EWR - SFO for a flight in 2 months to try out Polaris. They have economy saver available now. Just curious what my chances are clearing before T-24 hours, and then having to play the standby list game at the airport.
Polaris is not on EWR-SFO it is marketed as P.S. business, you get the new blankets but no other amenities
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
Polaris is not on EWR-SFO it is marketed as P.S. business, you get the new blankets but no other amenities
They're doing a run on the new 777-300, EWR - SFO for a few months with full on Polaris. First flight starts Feb 16. Google search if you want.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by adn232
They're doing a run on the new 777-300, EWR - SFO for a few months with full on Polaris. First flight starts Feb 16. Google search if you want.
It is only the seats, it is not marketed as Polaris and the service will be the same as a 757 PS flight
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
It is only the seats, it is not marketed as Polaris and the service will be the same as a 757 PS flight
Oh good call. I didn't catch that. I got too excited when I saw the 1-2-1 configuration haha. That being said... anyone ever clear from X to I on a PS flight off the waitlist?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:53 pm

So good news, after a couple of weeks of waiting, my plan B worked, biz->F cleared about 10 days out. I have biz on a connecting partner segment, so the mileage is even them same FTW.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thank you for the correction.
As an Evangelist, you don't wanna retract you "Um,"?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:14 am

AMS-IAH on 9/3. Waitlisted for J, how likely will me and my companion clear?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:56 pm

Hi, I just booked a trip with (XN) outbound, (X) Excursionist perk, and (I) return. None of my flights are non-stop.

The only UA metal flights are the (XN) outbound, LAX-SFO-CDG. When I setup Plan B, I asked only to be waitlisted for the long-haul leg (SFO-CDG). I was charged 27,500 more points. Total was 127,500 points. Please see attachment.

1) Does everything look right in the attachment and was this the correct way to book?

2) If I asked to be put on the waitlist for LAX-SFO and this short flight got cleared but the SFO-CDG flight didn't, I wouldn't get the 27,500 points refunded?

3) Since I'm waitlisted on the 2nd half, if I don't get cleared before 24 hours, will I have to wait until I get to the SFO gate to be put on the stand-by list?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by kingkewl
Hi, I just booked a trip with (XN) outbound, (X) Excursionist perk, and (I) return. None of my flights are non-stop.

The only UA metal flights are the (XN) outbound, LAX-SFO-CDG. When I setup Plan B, I asked only to be waitlisted for the long-haul leg (SFO-CDG). I was charged 27,500 more points. Total was 127,500 points. Please see attachment.

1) Does everything look right in the attachment and was this the correct way to book?
'I' class requested SFO-CDG looks right, and they charged you the higher mileage fee, so the system knows you are Plan B

2) If I asked to be put on the waitlist for LAX-SFO and this short flight got cleared but the SFO-CDG flight didn't, I wouldn't get the 27,500 points refunded?
See previous posts, some believe that you are not going to get the miles, but UA is not supposed to charge you if only the short haul clears. Why not call an agent and request the short haul ask and then get the name/date of the call, and ask them to notate it in the record? If you you don't clear, and you do not get the miles refunded, you have some documentation. Of course if you don't want the hassle and the short haul is not a big deal, leave it alone.

3) Since I'm waitlisted on the 2nd half, if I don't get cleared before 24 hours, will I have to wait until I get to the SFO gate to be put on the stand-by list?
You should be Priority 1 at T-24. BUT...
Many others have been jilted out of an upgrade due to poor agents' understandings at the gate. Read up (as in, read the above posts), be prepared! Bring as much documentation as you can regarding P1 status, etc. If you can, get to the UC at T-24 (whenever you can of course, sooner is better) and ask those agents to help. Even if everything is looking ok at the gate, ask them to verify PR1 status, #1 on waitlist, etc. PR1 means you are a displaced pax, you have paid for a higher level of service (with miles) and DESERVE priority over all others.

Good news is that SFO agents are quite well-versed in UA upgrades (well, many agents there are; at least you are not dealing w "UA" staff in FRA where it gets dicey arguing w them).

GOOD LUCK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.