Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 22, 17, 4:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 17, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
Dumb question probably.

I am looking on booking a trip to italy that has multiple legs/one ways. All my segments are available in saver business except the very last one back to the US.

In order to do the plan b properly do I book everything online, booking all the saver business class legs and then the last segment in saver economy and THEN call in to ask the extra miles be taken and waitlist us for that last segment....OR....do I need to call and book the entire trip over the phone (afraid this would incur a booking charge)

This is for a trip months away so im pretty sure saver business will open as there are currently only two seats taken looking on EF. i just dont want to have to check every single day or lose any of my other legs waiting for this space to open up.

Last edited by air360; Feb 7, 17 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 7, 17, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by air360 View Post
In order to do the plan b properly do I book everything online, booking all the saver business class legs and then the last segment in saver economy and THEN call in to ask the extra miles be taken and waitlist us for that last segment....OR....do I need to call and book the entire trip over the phone (afraid this would incur a booking charge)
Both should work.. booking something online and then calling within 24 hours to straighten everything out is a pretty reliable way to not worry about the phone fee.
Old Feb 7, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Both should work.. booking something online and then calling within 24 hours to straighten everything out is a pretty reliable way to not worry about the phone fee.
Thanks!!
Old Feb 8, 17, 12:03 am

I did a decent search of this thread for the answer to these questions but couldn't find anything:

1/ I successfully booked into X and waitlisted for I - I assume XN and IN are for elites and cardholders?

2/ It is for SEA-LAX-MEL and they waitilisted both segments - do I have a greater chance of getting LAX-MEL in J if I only waitlist that leg? Do both have to clear? Don't care about F on the SEA-LAX leg, Y would be fine.

3/ Flight is for this Sunday (Feb 12th) and currently 10 seats open in J - anyone have a guestimate on whether it will clear prior to 24hrs? I booked it for my dad and will be his first experience in J - he's not the most savvy of travellers so doing the airport waitlist thing is likely beyond him and I wont be there to help.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 17, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by AussieInSeattle View Post
1/ I successfully booked into X and waitlisted for I - I assume XN and IN are for elites and cardholders?
XN is for any elite or someone with any Chase card. IN is for Plat or above.

2/ It is for SEA-LAX-MEL and they waitilisted both segments - do I have a greater chance of getting LAX-MEL in J if I only waitlist that leg? Do both have to clear? Don't care about F on the SEA-LAX leg, Y would be fine.
The legs should clear independently of each other, but it doesn't hurt to keep watching LAX-MEL for I space just in case.

3/ Flight is for this Sunday (Feb 12th) and currently 10 seats open in J - anyone have a guestimate on whether it will clear prior to 24hrs? I booked it for my dad and will be his first experience in J - he's not the most savvy of travellers so doing the airport waitlist thing is likely beyond him and I wont be there to help.
The odds of clearing a waitlist into I are poor, I would say. RM has the flight blocked up to Z (J9 C8 Z6 P0), and you only have 10 seats left for every business flyer who learns they need to be in MEL next week.
Old Feb 8, 17, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I would remove that waitlist request for SEA-LAX. They'll charge the full business saver price if it clears, even if LAX-MEL is in economy, and you'll have to fight with them to get miles back.
Old Feb 8, 17, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I would remove that waitlist request for SEA-LAX. They'll charge the full business saver price if it clears, even if LAX-MEL is in economy, and you'll have to fight with them to get miles back.
I actually asked that specific question when booking and the agent said that the miles would be refunded if only the SEA-LAX leg clears. I got the agents "agent code" in case I need to call back when/if that doesnt happen, so am assuming I'm fine apart from some potential time on the phone.
Old Feb 8, 17, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I actually asked that specific question when booking and the agent said that the miles would be refunded if only the SEA-LAX leg clears.
There is no published rule that supports the agent's statement. It is the rule for upgrades, perhaps the agent was confused.

I got the agents "agent code" in case I need to call back when/if that doesnt happen, so am assuming I'm fine apart from some potential time on the phone.
Agents are not permitted to vary the published rules, and an agent representation will not be binding on UA.
Old Feb 8, 17, 9:56 am

There is no published rule that supports the agent's statement. It is the rule for upgrades, perhaps the agent was confused.

Agents are not permitted to vary the published rules, and an agent representation will not be binding on UA.
Thanks Kacee - appreciate it - I'll call them back and ask that the SEA-LAX leg be removed from I request.
Old Feb 8, 17, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K & MM, HH Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I disagree. You are entitled to your GPU back if only the us leg clears. Same should be true for miles used. It may be a "fight" but you will win.
Old Feb 8, 17, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by weezl View Post
I disagree. You are entitled to your GPU back if only the us leg clears. Same should be true for miles used. It may be a "fight" but you will win.
um, please cite us to the place where UA says that.

If you've ever searched for saver J or F awards, you have undoubtedly seen the website return "mixed" awards where less than all segments are in the premium cabin yet cost the full J or F price. UA offers no "discount" due to the mixed cabin.
Old Feb 8, 17, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
um, please cite us to the place where UA says that.

If you've ever searched for saver J or F awards, you have undoubtedly seen the website return "mixed" awards where less than all segments are in the premium cabin yet cost the full J or F price. UA offers no "discount" due to the mixed cabin.
Here's from their website regarding saver award waitlists. See bolded area....it's saying it a bit backward, but it has been clear from the old Plan B days that if you for instance booked ORD-EWR-CDG, and you cleared on ORD-EWR, but not EWR-CDG, you get all your miles refunded, and the ORD-EWR is a freebie.

You may redeem miles for travel in United PolarisSM first class, United First, United Business or United Polaris business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Old Feb 8, 17, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
Here's from their website regarding saver award waitlists. See bolded area....it's saying it a bit backward, but it has been clear from the old Plan B days that if you for instance booked ORD-EWR-CDG, and you cleared on ORD-EWR, but not EWR-CDG, you get all your miles refunded, and the ORD-EWR is a freebie.

You may redeem miles for travel in United PolarisSM first class, United First, United Business or United Polaris business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Thank you for the correction.
Old Feb 8, 17, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by weezl View Post
This is always the way I've understood it to work. If the long-haul flight doesn't clear, you'll only be charged the economy saver price, even if you flew in First on a connection.

Dan over at DansDeals says as much: "Even if you do get a seat in First Class for the non-[businessfirst] portion but do not get the [businessfirst] seat you will get the mileage refund"

Technically, the rules say "For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed." The fact you had a connection in United First wouldn't change that statement, though I imagine it would be hard to hold an agent to it who doesn't want to issue a refund.
Old Feb 9, 17, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K2MM, Marriott PP PLT
Question waitlisting strategy for saver awards in premium cabins on IAD-FRA ?

Here is the context ...

I booked a saver economy award on IAD-FRA on a friday evening.
and requested to be put on waitlist for polaris business on the same flight .

on IAD-FRA on fridays I am thinking that there could be a lot of paid business class flyers ..diminishing my chances to see the business class waitlist clear ...

So here is the question :

-should I waitlist for Polaris first instead of Polaris business (on the account that paid first class demand is probably lower than paid business class) ( FWIW both first and business seem to have good availabilty at this point a month or so from travel)

-can I waitlist for Polaris first in addtion to waitlist for polaris business on that same flight ? -> that would be to maximise my chances of either clearing ...
what happens if/when one clears : does the other one gets removed too ?

-is there a timing aspect to this ? .. stick with the business waitlist until maybe a week before flying and then, if it is hasnt cleared, request a first class waitlist instead ?

Thanks !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: