Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA notified me, flight is delayed - can I delay going to the airport?

UA notified me, flight is delayed - can I delay going to the airport?

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 20, 17, 6:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 7, 15, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Ok thanks. I don't mind the delay as I can do in town check in and find something to do in town as long as I'm sure they won't change it.

I guess if it's still the same in the morning I can be pretty sure.
Old Dec 7, 15, 5:34 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
That is a weird delay. The inbound flight shows on schedule, but the continuation is a delay. Maybe they are subbing an aircraft and swapping something?

Anyway, this is the mirror image of my problem 2 weeks ago:

what is airport arrival best practice when intl flight delayed 2.5 hr?

(Hong Kong flight, but the other direction...) And yesterday's UA 180 was delayed a strange 18 minutes, notified the day before, despite the aircraft sitting on the ground since the previous evening.

At least you will be sure to qualify for delay compensation. Although from my 6 hour delay, it was a measly $200 coupon.
Old Dec 9, 15, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I got an email 30hr prior to my return flight on Ua180 departing 12/9 informing me that it's delayed 7hrs.

I've never gotten delayed that much that early. you would think they would be able to switch aircraft to make up the delay 30hr prior.

Anyways it says to still arrive at the original time. Do you think I really need to arrive this early? At what point do you think it would be safe for me to arrive later? Thanks
The plot thickens. Just before the flight they announce they need to divert to SFO due to crew time out. You would think they could plan this 30hr ahead.
Old Dec 9, 15, 3:56 am
TA

Odd, even suspicious. Is this an underhanded way of doing a schedule change or relocating an aircraft that they couldn't do otherwise? What kind of crew timeout would be valid for a fresh crew starting in HKG?

----

This HKG-EWR flight was supposed to have been the (FRA)-EWR-HKG from the night before (I recall flight status searching a day ago, it was linked as "where is this aircraft coming from"), 772 #3014, which is currently on its way there. But the new aircraft for this route is 772 #3017 (with "delayed inbound aircraft arrival"). Where did that plane come from, and where is #3014 going?

Last edited by TA; Dec 9, 15 at 4:08 am
Old Dec 9, 15, 4:33 am

Still on the ground waiting for push back. 3017 is from ewr. They say inbound was delayed. Fresh crew in hkg is maxed out at 17hrs (arrive 1.5hrs early then 15.5hr flight time which they can't accomplish ) due to late start due to "new faa rule " from 2yrs ago. They are basically telling us its the faas fault for having unreasonable rules. They really stressed that while glossing over the mx delay and other flights being able to accomplish this without issue

Last edited by eng3; Dec 9, 15 at 4:41 am
Old Feb 20, 17, 1:12 pm
TA

delayed departure time = delayed checked bag cutoff time?

Hi, quick question for you all --

If a domestic departure from EWR-SFO is officially displayed as delayed by 1 hour, for example, does that also move the required bag check cutoff time (45 min prior to departure) by 1 hour?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 17, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA View Post

If a domestic departure from EWR-SFO is officially displayed as delayed by 1 hour, for example, does that also move the required bag check cutoff time (45 min prior to departure) by 1 hour?

Thanks!
Not necessarily, because the fine print on flight delays always says to report to the gate for the originally scheduled departure time, in case the delay changes. And at EWR, there could always be a frame swap to SFO that could change the projected delay considerably.
Old Feb 20, 17, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Not necessarily, because the fine print on flight delays always says to report to the gate for the originally scheduled departure time, in case the delay changes. And at EWR, there could always be a frame swap to SFO that could change the projected delay considerably.
In practice, however, the answer is yes; if the updated time has been loaded into the computer, all of the deadlines move with it. However, as transportprof said, it could change back any time, so I wouldn't necessarily delay my trip to the airport by an hour, but I can tell you confidently that if the delay is still posted when you get to the check-in kiosk, you'll have no problems checking in a bag.
Old Feb 20, 17, 1:44 pm
TA

Understood - thank you both for the information!
Old Feb 20, 17, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM

Thanks!
Please don't rely on this.

My GF got denied boarding back in the day over the x-mas holidays for thinking this. US wouldn't accept their bags = 2 day delay in flying.

If I knew now what I know then, perhaps would not be an issue. Still...
Old Feb 20, 17, 2:08 pm
TA

Hah, it seems I asked a similar question for a different case a year ago. Apologies!
Old Feb 20, 17, 8:01 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I had this exact same situation occur on an eastbound PS red-eye a couple years ago. The flight showed several hour delay at first, but UA subbed in another bird and we ended up being (more or less) on time. The upside it that via FT I made a new friend, we met for drinks at the UC before departure... and we remain friends to this day.
Old Feb 20, 17, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist

Thanks!
Your safer bet is to call UA instead of getting advice here. Your judgment call.
Old Feb 21, 17, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flying a wide body EWR-DEN a while back, and UA had posted a 2+ hr delay. Announced at the gate as crew related, which always seems the most tenuous- especially at a hub. A few minutes before originally scheduled departure, GA announces they've swapped crews and due to incoming weather in DEN we were going to board and push back as soon as we could. Boarding too longer than usual, as they apparently started clearing the standby list as soon as they called the final group. We flew out maybe 80% full on what was originally a sold out flight.

I'm always at the airport by original time. Creates several long days every year, but preferable to missing the flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: