Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver Issued: All California Airports for Feb 17-20

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt

And the weather waiver has been issued for all California airports due to the storm tomorrow:

Arcata/Eureka, CA (ACV)
Bakersfield, CA (BFL)
Burbank, CA (BUR)
Fresno, CA (FAT)
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Mammoth Lakes, CA (MMH)
Monterey, CA (MRY)
Ontario , CA (ONT)
Palm Springs, CA (PSP)
Redding, CA (RDD)
Sacramento, CA (SMF)
San Diego, CA (SAN)
San Francisco, CA (SFO)
San Jose, CA (SJC)
San Luis Obispo, CA (SBP)
Santa Ana - Orange County, CA (SNA)
Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)

Rebooking: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing on or before February 21, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​

Current WX forecast is: Southerly winds, 40-60 mi/h, 5-10in of rain expected.

I'm wondering if I should bail on my LAX-LHR tomorrow, because it is a 4:50pm departure.

Last edited by fgirard; Feb 16, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
5-10 inches of rain! Wow!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm supposed to officiate at a wedding in LA Sunday on a boat in the marina. Yikes.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm supposed to officiate at a wedding in LA Sunday on a boat in the marina. Yikes.
Sounds like a blast!

... ok I'll see myself out...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:19 pm
O62

Originally Posted by fgirard

Current WX forecast is: Southerly winds, 40-60 mi/h, 5-10in of rain expected.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
5-10 inches of rain! Wow!
Well...not in all of California. The state is 163,696 square miles. The only areas getting the upper end of that estimate will be the mountainous areas. Lowland areas will be considerably lower. Still, a good chunk of rain for California - glad I'm on tonight's redeye to Chicago. For once I'm on the right side of a storm.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just used this as an opportunity to change my EWR-LAX flight on the 18th to EWR-SFO-LAX on the 19th so I can try out the 777-300 and the Polaris seat.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JoseVerde
Well...not in all of California. The state is 163,696 square miles. The only areas getting the upper end of that estimate will be the mountainous areas. Lowland areas will be considerably lower. Still, a good chunk of rain for California - glad I'm on tonight's redeye to Chicago. For once I'm on the right side of a storm.
Looking at the Weather Channel's website - has LA getting 3-5 inches during the daytime tomorrow. That's insane! I don't ever recall it raining that hard the few years I lived out in SoCal...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Looking at the Weather Channel's website - has LA getting 3-5 inches during the daytime tomorrow. That's insane! I don't ever recall it raining that hard the few years I lived out in SoCal...
We got 3 inches on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago and that was pretty crazy. I'm glad I'm in New York right now because 4 inches of rain on a Friday is going to be an absolutely insane commute.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Yikes. Anyone have any thoughts about a 10AM departure to Chicago? Should I move it up? I believe forecast has the 'brunt' of the rain starting in the afternoon and the heaviest in the evening commute
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
First thing to learn about California weather is it is very cyclical and varied from year to year.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Yikes. Anyone have any thoughts about a 10AM departure to Chicago? Should I move it up? I believe forecast has the 'brunt' of the rain starting in the afternoon and the heaviest in the evening commute
I'm in Palo Alto and the brunt is to begin when I wake up at 5a, and then only intensify...best of luck!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by FL390
I just used this as an opportunity to change my EWR-LAX flight on the 18th to EWR-SFO-LAX on the 19th so I can try out the 777-300 and the Polaris seat.
Making lemonade. ^
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First thing to learn about California weather is it is very cyclical and varied from year to year.
A couple years of drought... and then a normal winter and everyone loses their minds

LA looks rather bad though, all the storms this year have been coming up from the south so they're warmer and wetter and it looks like LA is right in the path. NWS is only forecasting about an inch during the day for the Bay Area though.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yikes. Wonder how bad it will be in the evening to the north. I'm scheduled on IAD-SFO tomorrow (with inbound scheduled on an early morning flight from SFO). Guess we'll see how this works out.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
A couple years of drought... and then a normal winter and everyone loses their minds
Well to be fair I think it's been one of the wettest Februarys on record . . . .

Originally Posted by findark
LA looks rather bad though
Yeah looks like the Southland will get hit much harder than SFO.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First thing to learn about California weather is it is very cyclical
Just like the real estate market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.