Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award mile upgrade when switching flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: United

I'm booked on a nonstop international flight tomorrow. I had submitted a request for upgrade using miles for my original flight but I'm waitlisted and currently there are no available seats in business. When I checked in, I was given the option to change my flight to a later one at $0 cost. When I called United, I was told the upgrade request will not roll over to a new flight if I change and it's too late to put in for an upgrade now because I'm within 24 hours.

Anyone run into this before and have success? The agent said there are no complimentary upgrades for international flights so I'm not sure if/how I can even get on the list at this point. If there are 10 empty first/business class seats, who gets them? Is there an option to upgrade using miles or low cost at check-in or at the airport?

I am UA gold if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:05 am

That is correct. Within 24 hours you cannot waitlist upgrades like that.

If you are lucky, you might be able to get an agent to move over the request, but that would be an exception. See more here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...7-forward.html
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
There are no complimentary upgrades on international flights. Priority goes to revenue customers (with a complicated system of prioritization based upon status, fare paid, etc.). After all of those requests are fulfilled, non-revenue passengers (i.e. employees on personal travel, etc.) may stand-by and be cleared into premium seats.

Within 24 hours of flight, you can get on the list for a mileage upgrade at the check-in counter as described here.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The general rule is that while you can confirm a new upgrade request into open upgrade inventory at any time, you cannot waitlist within 24 hours of departure:

New waitlist requests for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades, and Global Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
Upgrades

UA agents are able to bypass this rule if they feel like being helpful.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
The general rule is that while you can confirm a new upgrade request into open upgrade inventory at any time, you cannot waitlist within 24 hours of departure:

Upgrades

UA agents are able to bypass this rule if they feel like being helpful.
Is this for any reason other than poor IT that can't put someone on the airport control waitlist?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on international flights.
Sorry, this statement is badly worded, and as you've written it, not true at all.

There are are no CPUs on most of the international flights, yes, but many routes do have them. Generally, anything considered long-haul - essentially those with premium cabins marketed as Polaris don't have CPUs, but those marketed simply as Business or First do get CPUs. Such as routes to/from Canada, Mexico, the Carribean, (and I believe some destinations in Northern S. America).

Given the agents instruction to the OP, they are not on one of those routes, but saying blanket CPUs arent available on international flights simply like that isnt true. .
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
those marketed simply as Business or First do get CPUs. Such as routes to/from Canada, Mexico, the Carribean, (and I believe some destinations in Northern S. America).
Not any longer. Anything south of PTY requires a GPU.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
So to summarize to SDC and preserve an upgrade requested with a GPU/miles&Cash you could:

1) Call up an agent and politely ask to SDC to an available flight and ask the agent to preserve the upgrade, if refused HUACA.

2) Review all SDC options for available R inventory, SDC to a flight with R, and then rush to your local airport to upgrade in person by applying a new GPU/Miles&cash.

Did I get this correct? I didn't know the 24 hour in person rule linked above.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
2) Review all SDC options for available R inventory, SDC to a flight with R, and then rush to your local airport to upgrade in person by applying a new GPU/Miles&cash.
If R is open you upgrade inside the 24 hour window on the phone, not at the airport.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:42 am

1) Call up an agent and politely ask to SDC to an available flight and ask the agent to preserve the upgrade, if refused HUACA.
Don't know where you got that. "Preserving an upgrade" on an SDC is not an option. You could HUACA 100 times and the answer will be "not possible" 100 times.

If there is open R on the new flight, you can just call and clear into it. No need to go to the airport.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Talking

Originally Posted by wxguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on international flights. Priority goes to revenue customers (with a complicated system of prioritization based upon status, fare paid, etc.). After all of those requests are fulfilled, non-revenue passengers (i.e. employees on personal travel, etc.) may stand-by and be cleared into premium seats.

Within 24 hours of flight, you can get on the list for a mileage upgrade at the check-in counter as described here.
Minor point of correction. CPU's are available on flugs to Canada and as far south as PTY.

ETC: Beaten.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Feb 17, 2017 at 7:54 am Reason: Error
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't know where you got that. "Preserving an upgrade" on an SDC is not an option. You could HUACA 100 times and the answer will be "not possible" 100 times.

If there is open R on the new flight, you can just call and clear into it. No need to go to the airport.
To your second point, I was asking for clarification from the link to UA provided upthread, where it states: "After you’ve purchased your ticket, you can request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award by calling the United Customer Contact Center, going to the Manage Reservations page, or talking to a United check-in counter representative or gate agent at the airport within 24 hours of departure." (italics added). Since a SDC would, as noted here, wipe out the waitlisted upgrade, I thought you had to be at the airport within 24 hours, but it seems that qualifier from the UA page is redundant and/or unnecessary.

To your first point, you can always ask. Much stranger things have happened.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:36 pm

To your first point, you can always ask.
You could also call and ask for an SDC from UA Y into LH F. Or for free Super Bowl tickets. The answer will be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.