Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA455 AUS-SFO Pilot Removed After Rant About Divorce & Election 11 Feb 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA455 AUS-SFO Pilot Removed After Rant About Divorce & Election 11 Feb 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by spainflyer
The updated Washington Post story based on interviews with several passengers strongly indicates that, from UA’s standpoint, this plane, this flight, and this pilot were good to go even after the ranting started. If passengers had not started to bail out, nothing would have been done.

Even after passengers began to bail – many of them in tears -- a flight attendant insisted: “She’s been cleared to fly…” If UA has a policy for these kinds of cases, I hope it was NOT being followed. But it looks more like the crew were making it up as they went.

As others have said here, a good thing the plane was still at the gate. What would have been UA’s “policy” if it were already on the runway? In the air?
I found that comment by the flight attendant -- admittedly as reported by a passenger, but still very believable -- especially unfortunate. Just as flight attendants have been trained to stand up to potentially disruptive passengers (and sometimes go overboard doing so), FAs need to keep in mind that they have an obligation to intervene when a colleague, especially in a security-sensitive position, behaves inappropriately.

I think most of this is a feeling of powerlessness -- "company" says she's good to fly; she's the boss of the flight; FAs don't have much pull; etc. From an FA's perspective, attempting to challenge a captain could seem deeply risky or even mutinous. I'm sure some would, but a less confident or experienced FA might think it wasn't his/her place to speak up. I hope, in the wake of this incident, the airline or union reiterates this.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
What a nut job. Did this just happen recently? I'm surprised it hasn't been on the news. Someone who obviously has no business behind a yoke/joystick. Her career with United is obviously over.
Yes it happened on Feb 11. Obviously this captain isn't running on all six cylinders. Hopefully the ink has already dried on the dismissal papers and FAA revocation of certificate.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes it happened on Feb 11. Obviously this captain isn't running on all six cylinders. Hopefully the ink has already dried on the dismissal papers and FAA revocation of certificate.
How much you want to bet lawsuits will start flowing in at UA citing "emotional distress"?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am surprised no one mentioned the JetBlue Pilot Meltdown which happened just 5 years ago. A much more dramatic situation where they were already in the air.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I would caution regarding speculation over what was happening behind the scenes.

One of the articles included a flight status display showing the flight departed--with the replacement Captain--slightly more than two hours late (2:06?). Considering that Austin is not a pilot base, the decision to replace the Captain must have been made very early in the process.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The lady's career likely just went down the toilet. We should be thankful for our own mental stability and feel empathy for her.

Hope none of you ever has to go through so much stress it sends you over the edge.

Safe travels,

Doc

(ETA: This was a response in a merged thread where there were some harsh statements.)

Last edited by Doc Savage; Feb 13, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA
I came to this article here after seeing it on another website.
Seems to have been buried and not publicized very much.

One of the better comments I read over on the other website mentions that there was a time that all pilots had some sort of military training and they were stress tested and now there not as many of the pilots with military backgrounds and we see a stress episode such as losing your girlfriend or Trump winning an election being enough to trigger a career ending melt down.

.......retired Navy aircraft mechanic
That cuts both ways. Lots of former military people had trouble with the concept of CRM. They were used to calling the shots themselves in the military. You must work as a crew at an airline. We are much safer these days than the era of "Sky Gods" that we saw in the early days.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
We really don't know a lot here and speculation doesn't help, but hey, armchair quarterback. I've been on flights where everyone but the Captain (PIC) is onboard. Briefings happening in the cockpit. Pilot arrived on another flight just in time to board an aircraft to operate it. The crew (FAs) were there, boarding commenced, etc.

This pilot may have arrived late, breezed past the gate agent or told some convincing story - the GA may have already been in the process of notifying authorities, when the pilot got on the PA. There may have been no interaction between the pilot and the crew. We don't know. Let's not assume everyone else failed to act.
Good points. Before the video started (which probably triggered someone filming the meltdown), she allegedly made disparraging remarks over the PA calling Clinton & Trump A holes & insulted an interracial couple sitting in F.

I read an FB account of what happened from one of the fa's working the flight.(I am a FA) Apparently the Capt got her van time mixed up & thats why she showed up late to the plane in civvies, asked the crew over the PA if they wanted her to change or just go as is & leave on time. The FO was doing his duties in the pit & didn't hear the pa's & a pass riding pilot went up front & got on the horn to ops. A replacement pilot was flown up from IAH, resulting in a 2 hr delay.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by featheroleather
Good points. Before the video started (which probably triggered someone filming the meltdown), she allegedly made disparraging remarks over the PA calling Clinton & Trump A holes & insulted an interracial couple sitting in F.

I read an FB account of what happened from one of the fa's working the flight.(I am a FA) Apparently the Capt got her van time mixed up & thats why she showed up late to the plane in civvies, asked the crew over the PA if they wanted her to change or just go as is & leave on time. The FO was doing his duties in the pit & didn't hear the pa's & a pass riding pilot went up front & got on the horn to ops. A replacement pilot was flown up from IAH, resulting in a 2 hr delay.
thanks for the further detail. I had wondered where FO was, but this explains it. Again, I see nothing that UA did wrong here. Again, I feel sorry for the pilot and hope she gets the help she needs.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88
I see nothing that UA did wrong here.
Other than tell passengers its ok to fly because "She's been cleared to fly."
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Hopefully her co-pilot would have handled things.
In the Germanwings situation, the co-pilot got locked out of the cockpit.

I'm glad this happened on the ground, and yes I would have deplaned as soon as it was clear that the pilot was not of right mind. I'm shocked that the FAs were so willing to fly with her.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
First off, glad everyone is safe and nobody was hurt. Echo the statements made in that I hope the pilot gets the help they need to get better, but probably shouldn't be flying again after this. Very sad situation, indeed...

So, out of morbid curiosity, what do you all think the compensation United offers in a case like this? 30,000 miles? Travel cert? Really just curious what something like this would entail.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uchuuace
what do you all think the compensation United offers in a case like this? 30,000 miles? Travel cert? Really just curious what something like this would entail.
And do you get more if you stayed on the plane than if you demanded to get off?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by uchuuace

So, out of morbid curiosity, what do you all think the compensation United offers in a case like this? 30,000 miles? Travel cert? Really just curious what something like this would entail.
According to this lady in the video (skip to 2:00) UA offered a 50$ voucher to every pax for their time and trouble.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-bizarre-rant/
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Grouchy
According to this lady in the video (skip to 2:00) UA offered a 50$ voucher to every pax for their time and trouble.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-bizarre-rant/
Wow. That isn't very much. DL gave everyone (regardless of status) a $100 voucher at the gate for a very delayed CVG-MCO flight I was on. And that didn't involve any rant from the crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.