Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA455 AUS-SFO Pilot Removed After Rant About Divorce & Election 11 Feb 2017

UA455 AUS-SFO Pilot Removed After Rant About Divorce & Election 11 Feb 2017

Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Ugh. Terrible all around. She probably just took two of whatever she was on for anxiety instead of one, and it led to this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You would have been okay? What about the Germanwings pilot who flew the plane into the side of the mountain?
^
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Feel bad for her but she was definitely not okay to fly.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
A old coworker was on the flight. She was one of the people that actually got off the plane initially. She said she was going to miss her connection and just didn't feel safe with the pilot's interactions.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I just saw this story and here are my thoughts. A pilot holds a special position of trust to all passengers, especially folks who are afraid of flying, and yes they exist even today. If a pilot varies from the expected norm of attire or professional confidence passengers are going to get very nervous very quickly. There is a hyper sensitivity in this era of social media as we're bombarded daily with stories of seemingly typical people doing horrible things. So when a pilot starts going off script, yes, passengers get frightened quickly. If ever there were a job where zero tolerance is justified it's an airplane pilot. I have zero willingness to ride in back with someone less than perfect sitting up front.
I agree with this, but I'd take it further. Airlines have been an area of sensitivity since the 1970's, and even more so with recent events.

But anytime someone has the lives of this many people in their hands, odd behavior isn't tolerable in my opinion. No different than a bus driver who decides to drive off a bridge.

Many reasonable people would distance themselves from someone dressed inappropriately giving a nonsensical rant on a street corner because you don't know what their next unstable action might be. Makes even more sense to exercise caution when you're trapped in a metal tube and can't just walk away on your own.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You would have been okay? What about the Germanwings pilot who flew the plane into the side of the mountain?
This. There absolutely must be zero tolerance for aberrant behavior in pilots. UA used to know this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This. There absolutely must be zero tolerance for aberrant behavior in pilots. UA used to know this.
As a United pilot I can say unequivocally UA 'knows this'. This individual needed help. Unfortunately rather then seeking it through the employee assistance program, this event was the breaking point. There are over 12,000+ United pilots that are shocked and saddened by this incident, but we are well aware of the trust placed upon us every flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Wow! I plead some ignorance as to this process but how was she cleared to fly?

Had she not gone on the rant who knows what would have happened in the cockpit... Hopefully her co-pilot would have handled things.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS
She better be put on the no fly list, like UA staff would have called the cops on a passenger for a lot less than that.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cv11nyc
As a United pilot I can say unequivocally UA 'knows this'. This individual needed help. Unfortunately rather then seeking it through the employee assistance program, this event was the breaking point. There are over 12,000+ United pilots that are shocked and saddened by this incident, but we are well aware of the trust placed upon us every flight.
This was terrible and sad to watch. My heartfelt sympathies go out to her.

My opinion: as we've been shown time and time again, there is major action that needs to [allowed] to be taken for distressed pilots undergoing psychological trauma and/or events. Too many are afraid to get the help they may vey well need because of the unfortunate obvious reasons.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The number of people who failed to act before this got to the rambling onboard PA announcement is incredible. Is any of the flight or ground crew at KAUS paying attention?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
"Security risk" under the category of someone who might not appear to have it together.
I certainly would have been among the passengers deplaning. I would have had no idea whether it was alcohol, drugs or some kind of emotional crisis, but obviously the pilot was not fit for duty at that moment.

I hope she had a chance to get the appropriate care and treatment, and I also hope that she is one day fit to fly again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
We really don't know a lot here and speculation doesn't help, but hey, armchair quarterback. I've been on flights where everyone but the Captain (PIC) is onboard. Briefings happening in the cockpit. Pilot arrived on another flight just in time to board an aircraft to operate it. The crew (FAs) were there, boarding commenced, etc.

This pilot may have arrived late, breezed past the gate agent or told some convincing story - the GA may have already been in the process of notifying authorities, when the pilot got on the PA. There may have been no interaction between the pilot and the crew. We don't know. Let's not assume everyone else failed to act.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Video: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bfc53831db69

ETA: they took down the passenger's video onboard. Looks like that passenger, out of sympathy for the pilot, is demanding that it be taken down everywhere.

Last edited by dhuey; Feb 12, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:53 am

If the UA staff were willing to let her fly, there should be some re-training. I thought one of the reasons behind CRM training was to be prepared for a situation where one crew member goes off the reservation so that others can intervene regardless of rank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.