Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International Destination will the check in agent need my passport for the US leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Destination will the check in agent need my passport for the US leg?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As OP says that he scheduled a stopover, not a connection, there is no question but that his bag will only be checked to EWR. On a connection, the agent ought to decline to short-check, but may do so.

Just as a future tip, there are many situations where you would be denied boarding at your domestic origin. Always start your travel with your passport in hand.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
As OP says that he scheduled a stopover, not a connection,
The OP can say that, but it is not what is booked. Under 24 hours on an international itinerary is a connection, even if it is overnight.

That said, UA generally avoids tagging bags through with more than 12 hours or overnight connections, but that doesn't mean it is a stopover from a fare/ticketing perspective.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by sbm12
The OP can say that, but it is not what is booked. Under 24 hours on an international itinerary is a connection, even if it is overnight.

That said, UA generally avoids tagging bags through with more than 12 hours or overnight connections, but that doesn't mean it is a stopover from a fare/ticketing perspective.
It actually can be either a stopover or a connection. If a stopover, then UA owes getting him to EWR, a connection they do not. So a seriously different ticket.

Alas, it is hard to know nowadays which one has w/o looking closely.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:13 am

FYI, it is a connection. It's a single ticket booked as CVG origin and LHR destination. Apologies for any bad terminology used on my part.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It actually can be either a stopover or a connection. If a stopover, then UA owes getting him to EWR, a connection they do not. So a seriously different ticket.

Alas, it is hard to know nowadays which one has w/o looking closely.
​​​​​​​Nope, just a connection if under 24 hours on an int'l itinerary.

OP, you can enter your passport manually on the app, check-in for both legs, and you will not be asked to furnish passport in CVG despite the INTL designation on top of your boarding pass.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:35 pm

Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do you have a checked bag?

Good chance an agent will want to see the passport at bag checkin.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:26 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
if you get a boarding pass electronically, your passport won't be checked on a domestic flight. id checks on domestics are done by tsa at security only.

if you have to see agent, explain and i'd imagine they would short check you and your bag at the origin to ewr. but let us know.

but ya, just keep your passport in your laptop bag at all times.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
For what it’s worth, I recently had a client in a similar situation. She had a long connection in SFO with plenty of time to go home and retrieve her passport before the international segment. She hadn’t flown UA before and couldn’t get a boarding pass via OLCI, and the airport agent refused to issue any boarding passes associated with the ticket without the passport (despite my best efforts to assist).

I suspect that is very much a YMMV situation. Another station with a different length of layover may yield different results, but it isn’t safe to assume that you can get a boarding pass for the domestic segment on an international connection without a passport.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:41 pm

Carry-on only. It's a short leisure trip. Thanks for the example story. Now I'm back to being worried. I'm hoping the overnight nature of my connection will help my case.

And FYI it was definitely not intentional that I left my passport at home. I swapped bags at the last minute before coming here and my passport didn't make the switch. This is the first time in years that I don't have it in my immediate possession (despite being a very infrequent int'l traveler)
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sykes
For what it’s worth, I recently had a client in a similar situation. She had a long connection in SFO with plenty of time to go home and retrieve her passport before the international segment. She hadn’t flown UA before and couldn’t get a boarding pass via OLCI, and the airport agent refused to issue any boarding passes associated with the ticket without the passport (despite my best efforts to assist).

I suspect that is very much a YMMV situation. Another station with a different length of layover may yield different results, but it isn’t safe to assume that you can get a boarding pass for the domestic segment on an international connection without a passport.
Yeah, thanks for sharing this experience -- I was wondering whether anyone would have had this happen to them (UA applying intl check-in requirements to every sector, including the domestic sector).
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by markraby
Carry-on only. It's a short leisure trip. Thanks for the example story. Now I'm back to being worried. I'm hoping the overnight nature of my connection will help my case.

And FYI it was definitely not intentional that I left my passport at home. I swapped bags at the last minute before coming here and my passport didn't make the switch. This is the first time in years that I don't have it in my immediate possession (despite being a very infrequent int'l traveler)
I don’t think it will be a problem. If everything goes bad, however, (again, I really don’t think it will be; CVG has kiosks, and airport staff really don’t like to interact/interograte) than a back up plan could be making a Same Day Change to a later flight, which would make it a stopover, not a connection. EWR to LHR has many later flights, and if you can get one at least 24 hours after the CVG Flight, then it will be a stopover and not a connection, which will remove all problems.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, I do these types of trips frequently and when I check in for my domestic flight I usually only get a BP for that segment and have to check in again for the next day's INTL flight. One trip to ALG did require a visa document check and that was performed at check in for INTL segment.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
In my experience, if I'm going to a destination that needs a visa they want to see my passport before boarding my connecting flight in my departure city and they will force me to do the check-in at the airport. If I'm going to Europe, I can print my boarding pass at home and they don't check my passport in my departure city. To the point that one time we were going to EDI and my wife asked the gate agent in our departure city if he needed to see our passports. He said no.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:58 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by markraby

stop worrying you are fine. everything works out in the end. us flyertalkers are glorified moms who love to lecture others.

domestic flights: tsa checks your id only>boarding process of GO GO GO GO GOG O SCAN SCAN SCAN GO GO GO
intl flights: tsa checks any id>boarding process of LEME SEE YOUR PICTURE PAGE NOW GOGOGOGOGO

you're fine just relax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.