Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Really annoyed at how long the Polaris lounge at EWR is taking to get done. By rights, there are 3 trips (2 of which are TATL redeyes) I have booked where having access to eat a meal before getting on the plane would be really, really nice. Fingers crossed that the one trip in late December will actually be ready, but I have my doubts.

As for LAX, I did notice when I was walking through T7 a couple weeks back that the area where the old GFL used to be was boarded up and under construction - so I would venture to guess they are doing something with the space with regards to a lounge there. I just have zero idea on what the actual progress is.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:02 pm

Late December for EWR ?!!! I thought it would be open this summer, although not in time for my travels early June and early July (which I booked last year for both the new plane Polaris experience AND new Lounge). At least the flight has been operating on the new plane for a while now. I liked the shower facilities at the old UC Lounge on layovers but understand there'll be none until the Polaris Lounge opens. Anyone have an update on the state of construction at EWR?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by freestay
Anyone have an update on the state of construction at EWR?
There's a tiny bit of info here.
I predict (without any further knowledge than what I posted in that link) that they should meet Summer 2018 target. That gives them until what, September 22?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
As for LAX, I did notice when I was walking through T7 a couple weeks back that the area where the old GFL used to be was boarded up and under construction - so I would venture to guess they are doing something with the space with regards to a lounge there. I just have zero idea on what the actual progress is.
The Polaris lounge is expected to be above the rotunda, where the former GFL turned into temporary UA Club used to be.
As to opening date - who knows?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by cesco.g
The Polaris lounge is expected to be above the rotunda, where the former GFL turned into temporary UA Club used to be.
As to opening date - who knows?
I was at LA United Club a couple of weeks ago and I asked the agents there about the status of Polaris Lounge, and was told “once they start working on it, we will know when it will likely to be ready”.

I am guessing no work has been done.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I was at LA United Club a couple of weeks ago and I asked the agents there about the status of Polaris Lounge, and was told “once they start working on it, we will know when it will likely to be ready”.

According to the tracker, construction has not yet started at LAX. Opening still promoted as "Opening in fall 2018".
SFO, EWR, and IAH are all still listed as "Opening in summer 2018".
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

That space has been vacant since December, 2016. Shameful.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SS255
That space has been vacant since December, 2016. Shameful.
But Kirby says they are going to compete in LA! Pretty much think that he’s a pathological liar at this point. I wouldn’t trust a single thing he says is actually a positive development.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

But Kirby says they are going to compete in LA! Pretty much think that he’s a pathological liar at this point. I wouldn’t trust a single thing he says is actually a positive development.
If there were an airside shuttle to the TBIT, UA wouldn't even need a Polaris lounge.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If there were an airside shuttle to the TBIT, UA wouldn't even need a Polaris lounge.
It's a long walk to the *A lounge, but is doable airside... I usually figure I need a layover of at least 90 minutes to make it worthwhile.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Imagine the economic decision on that one?

Run a shuttle service that costs something like $500 per day, to be largely underutilized and even then mostly used by passengers who visit a lounge that gets charged to UA at another $50 per visit. I'm sure they're incentivized to offer this great feature! Hah.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by TA
Imagine the economic decision on that one?

Run a shuttle service that costs something like $500 per day, to be largely underutilized and even then mostly used by passengers who visit a lounge that gets charged to UA at another $50 per visit. I'm sure they're incentivized to offer this great feature! Hah.
Well the other options are 1. Pay millions in capex to actually open a polaris lounge. 2. Don't open a lounge, just say it's coming soon or in planning, save millions!

Right now there is no incentive to open the LAX lounge. I am being facetious but anyone can play devils advocate all day. If UA really cared about their image they would have planned contingencies and one might have included an airside transfer.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Halo117
Well the other options are 1. Pay millions in capex to actually open a polaris lounge. 2. Don't open a lounge, just say it's coming soon or in planning, save millions!

Right now there is no incentive to open the LAX lounge. I am being facetious but anyone can play devils advocate all day. If UA really cared about their image they would have planned contingencies and one might have included an airside transfer.
The same logic applies systemwide. Think of how many tens of millions United has saved in opex: salary, food, and booze by not adding any more lounges since they opened the Potemkin Polaris at ORD.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
The same logic applies systemwide. Think of how many tens of millions United has saved in opex: salary, food, and booze by not adding any more lounges since they opened the Potemkin Polaris at ORD.
And I bet Kirby knows how to put that in a spreadsheet.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:46 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
To contrast this renovation with another, I was in ZRH and the main Swiss lounge renovation actually has pictures on the outside, month-by-month, showing how far along they are in the renovation. Not only does this help provide transparency in the renovation, it was really interesting to look at and helps show how complex that type of construction is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.