FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   FAs with attitude even before the flight starts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1820538-fas-attitude-even-before-flight-starts.html)

MostlyUA Feb 8, 2017 11:23 am

FAs with attitude even before the flight starts

sitting 9B on a flight to ICN. FA have their bags above. I asked if I can move them and the FA said No. it's our bags!

the toilet stinks from seat 9.

Why did i say I fly United? It sucks

laxmillenial Feb 8, 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MostlyUA (Post 27882534)
sitting 9B on a flight to ICN. FA have their bags above. I asked if I can move them and the FA said No. it's our bags!

...If anyone had their bags above your seat, I would expect a similar response. You'd def get a "No" from me too if my bag was there and you wanted to move it.

That being said, it's not the end of the world if your bag is a bin ahead of you if the bin above you isn't available. I find it's easier to watch your stuff if it's ahead of you by a bin.

As for the toilet stinking before a flight, can't help you there. Pick a different seat next time?

MostlyUA Feb 8, 2017 11:52 am

I am transiting through ICN so the seat near the door seemed like a good bet. I was prepared for the horde of people coming through, but as one of the first ones to board, I did not expect my bin to be full. Plus, they all seem to have attitude.

qukslvr619 Feb 8, 2017 12:07 pm

So you asked to move crew bags and they said no. Unless they screamed at you or skipped over you for PDB, meals, etc....not exactly sure how that qualifies having an attitude.

You do realize why FA's are territorial about their bags right? For one thing, on some aircraft there are no locked bins for them to put there stuff. Secondly there are issues where theft has occurred. So I would chalk this up to them wanting visibility into where they left their luggage and making sure it stays there and is not gone through.

As for the toilet...well I can't say that an unserviced lav wouldn't bother me but did you mention this to any of the crew so perhaps they could spray it or get it cleaned?

tuolumne Feb 8, 2017 12:50 pm

I guess it depends on if you had an attitude when you asked or not. Not that it should matter, but hey, in the real world...

Ber2dca Feb 8, 2017 12:58 pm

I assume 9B in this case is in J? I think it's fair to expect to be able to store your luggage in the bin above your seat if you're in J.

Tizzette Feb 8, 2017 1:00 pm

I read it that FA did not like even being asked if OP could move her bag and answered NO with attitude. No just a simple no. But not a big deal either way.

restlessinRNO Feb 8, 2017 1:01 pm

sitting 9B on a flight to ICN. FA have their bags above. I asked if I can move them and the FA said No. it's our bags! ...

MostlyUA - Are you on UA893 SFO-ICN? I note 9B on this B747 is in the back of business class, downstairs, beside the stairs. Are you saying that even that far back, the overhead bins are used by the FAs?

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 27882747)
So you asked to move crew bags and they said no. Unless they screamed at you or skipped over you for PDB, meals, etc....not exactly sure how that qualifies having an attitude.

You do realize why FA's are territorial about their bags right? For one thing, on some aircraft there are no locked bins for them to put there stuff. Secondly there are issues where theft has occurred. So I would chalk this up to them wanting visibility into where they left their luggage and making sure it stays there and is not gone through.

As a paying passenger, there are no locked bins for me. I am also concerned about theft. :)

JBord Feb 8, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 27882971)
I assume 9B in this case is in J? I think it's fair to expect to be able to store your luggage in the bin above your seat if you're in J.

Since when? Several times I've boarded a 777 further back in the J line and had to put my bag up a few bins away, or even in the other aisle. I wouldn't say I loved it, but that's just the way it goes. There are no reserved bins, except as marked for equipment.

euslaner Feb 8, 2017 1:28 pm

I once had the opposite happen to me. I was in C on an international flight and put my bag in the bin across from me since it was easier to access the bag. A pilot was in the seat across from me and demanded that I take my bag down and let him put his bag in. I refused. The FAs tried to convince me to yield to him and I refused. Ultimately they took his bag and put it somewhere up front and in time he moved away too. He had no right to claim the space and ultimately he had to realize that, regardless of who he is.

restlessinRNO Feb 8, 2017 1:33 pm

I think the bigger issue here is, each plane should have a designated area for the flight crew to store their luggage, especially on international flights. The flight crew travel with several bags, and I do not think they check any of their bags. :)

mgobluetex Feb 8, 2017 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by euslaner (Post 27883102)
I once had the opposite happen to me. I was in C on an international flight and put my bag in the bin across from me since it was easier to access the bag. A pilot was in the seat across from me and demanded that I take my bag down and let him put his bag in. I refused. The FAs tried to convince me to yield to him and I refused. Ultimately they took his bag and put it somewhere up front and in time he moved away too. He had no right to claim the space and ultimately he had to realize that, regardless of who he is.

You've got bigger stones than me. If I were on an intl. flight, or domestic flight for that matter, I would never get into an "argument" with a crew member. They could have easily thrown you off the flight justified or not. Since it was an intl. flight you probably would not have reached your destination without a major delay. In my opinion it's not worth risking all of that just to keep my bag where I originally stowed it.

LordHamster Feb 8, 2017 1:45 pm

Crew bags hogging bin space in F or J is one of my all time pet peeves. My favorite is when the bin above the $12,000 Global First 1A or 1K seat is full of crew bags.

qukslvr619 Feb 8, 2017 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 27882983)
As a paying passenger, there are no locked bins for me. I am also concerned about theft. :)

There is a fundamental difference here though. You put your bag in the bin in your immediate seating area and have it for the most part in your view. FA stows bag/purse/etc in overhead and could be working in the galley, 15 rows back, etc.

That being said I can see the frustration with someone arriving at their row and finding a bunch of crew bags stowed overhead and perhaps they could find a better spot. But that would have to be the least of my concerns when I am on a plane but that's just me.

sammyindc Feb 8, 2017 2:18 pm

Why not move to a different seat? Looking at the flight today, middle seats in 6, 7 and 8 only had 3 people. You could have had 4 seats to yourself in row 6.