Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.
[For reference, the 2013 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424575-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2013-flights.html ]

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536853-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2014-flights.html ]

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2013-2014] Flights ]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO aircraft yet?

The following mainline aircraft types allow passengers to listen to ATC. The legacy nomenclature is "Channel 9," but on many types it is accessed by selecting "From the Flight Deck" on the "Audio" menu of the seat-back entertainment, then pushing "Listen." Legacy pmCO FAs may not know what "Channel 9" is, as none of their a/c had it prior to the merger.

A319 - removed
A320 - removed
B737 - no
B747 - yes
B757 - only pmUA 757-200s operating p.s. flights (i.e. 28J seats)
B767 - yes, both pmUA 767-300s and pmCO 767-400s
B777 - yes, both pmUA and pmCO, except the new Hawaiian and domestic high-density configuration aircraft
B787 - no

UA management has said they are "studying" ways it can be made available over the streaming content-equipped planes (i.e. A319, A320, 737), but no schedule has been announced for a decision or implementation.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:44 pm

Available on 951 (BRU-IAD) on May 28 for most of the flight ^
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2015] Flights

7 jun 882 nrt to ord. Had to ask but got it gate to gate. First time got to hear over water "conversations" there seems to be a lot of multi-lingual rambling.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
7 jun 882 nrt to ord. Had to ask but got it gate to gate. First time got to hear over water "conversations" there seems to be a lot of multi-lingual rambling.
That's frequency 123.45, used for air-to-air communications for over-water or otherwise out-of-range of ground-based controllers. It's supposed to be used only for "operational" reasons, but in reality there's a lot of chit-chat.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:46 am

6/7 535 JFK-LAX on gate to gate with announcement. Glad to have it while trying to fly over weather in southern Kansas and Oklahoma.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
08 June, LAX-BOS, UA593, N537UA, B752 - Off
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:32 am

5/23 UA 875
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:25 pm

6/13 UA 576 SEA-DEN ^ gate to gate

Its been a long time since I've even been in a bird that was Ch 9 capable.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Sad to see so few reports of Channel 9 these days. Quite a change from 2-3 years ago..
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:08 pm

6/15 UA 968 EWR-MXP
6/18 US 969 MXP-EWR on at the gate until sometime after we entered the NAT. Some of the French ATC were extremely difficult to understand.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
6/19 169 VCE-EWR gate to gate on a refurbed 764. ^
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
6/14 UA881 ORD-NRT ^ (made request through Purser and it was turned on)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
SIN-HKG

6/17 UA896 SIN-HKG

Prior to departure, pilot announced that Ch 9 would be enabled. Nice.^^
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/Platinum Marriott Gold Elite, HHonors Blue, SA Gold
Ive never had Channel 9 on ANY LHR->IAD ever, and ive flown that route maybe 20 times
Channel 9 is NOT available or built into the Dreamliner.

Ive only ever heard it twice, despite being a massive aviation geek, which is unusual for a girl...
IAD->LAX on an old 757 had it ( no IFE, drop down tv's, )
IAD->DEN on another old 757
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:38 pm

Glad the purser was willing to follow up and that the captain accomodated eventually. I haven't had much luck with requests.

The worst was nearly 10 years ago, it was on a 9-equipped domestic 767. I asked an FA to ask the captain about turning it on, and she was happy to oblige. Came back a few minutes later looking a bit shaken. She said the capt had said no, and added that "the captain told me that he knows exactly how every single switch in the cockpit is set at all times and that we should assume he wants them that way". It was quite a demeanor change; I got the sense the capt was pretty harsh when she called up.

So instead of making a customer happy, he made me wonder if a UA pilot had slept through his CRM training....

As for flights in the last 12 months, haven't been on any UA planes even equipped for it anymore.

Originally Posted by wxguy
UA871 SFO-TPE 15-May-15 ^ but it took some doing.

Upon boarding I asked the purser if the captain was "Channel 9 friendly." She said she'd be pleased to ask and went up front. She returned and told me the captain said this plane (sUA 777) wasn't equipped with it.

I explained to her that all sUA 777s have it installed; that the UA APP "amenities" tab shows it as installed; and that as a former cockpit jumpseat-authorized flyer I knew where the switch was and how to turn it on. She laughed and said she'd go back to let him know.

The purser returned to me, and said the captain "discovered" it was installed and would put it on though it would cover one of the music channels that people like (another false statement on IPTE 777s). And it's been on from the departure gate all the way... now over the Bering Strait.

I'm glad I pushed back!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
7/3 UA950 IAD-BRU B777 ^ Asked the Purser after we had boarded and he walked up to check. Pilots came back with an enthusiastic 'of course!'. ^ Captain made special mention of Channel 9 during his announcements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.