Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.
[For reference, the 2013 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424575-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2013-flights.html ]

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536853-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2014-flights.html ]

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2013-2014] Flights ]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO aircraft yet?

The following mainline aircraft types allow passengers to listen to ATC. The legacy nomenclature is "Channel 9," but on many types it is accessed by selecting "From the Flight Deck" on the "Audio" menu of the seat-back entertainment, then pushing "Listen." Legacy pmCO FAs may not know what "Channel 9" is, as none of their a/c had it prior to the merger.

A319 - removed
A320 - removed
B737 - no
B747 - yes
B757 - only pmUA 757-200s operating p.s. flights (i.e. 28J seats)
B767 - yes, both pmUA 767-300s and pmCO 767-400s
B777 - yes, both pmUA and pmCO, except the new Hawaiian and domestic high-density configuration aircraft
B787 - no

UA management has said they are "studying" ways it can be made available over the streaming content-equipped planes (i.e. A319, A320, 737), but no schedule has been announced for a decision or implementation.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Typically it's a pilot who lacks confidence in his/her radio skills or wants to "make a statement" to management by screwing the passengers (which makes more of a statement about the pilot than about management).
This could also be stated less cynically as, "Channel 9 is at the pilot's discretion." We're always a bit disappointed when Channel 9 is not available, and I always make a point of requesting it when it's turned off. I have about an 80% hit rate, although your mileage may vary.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm Reason: removed off-topic content [due to moderator action]
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Or they just want it off.
For one of the two reasons I listed, as all others "reasons" are just excuses to mask one of these two.

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
This could also be stated less cynically as, "Channel 9 is at the pilot's discretion."
See above.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
For one of the two reasons I listed, as all others "reasons" are just excuses to mask one of these two.

See above.
So which of those to cockamamie reasons would you say when there is some type of inflight emergency when it would be in the best interests of the passengers to not be informed?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Perhaps rather that beating the glue jar someone could point the OP to one of the many closed threads debating ch9 rather than adding this one to the list@:-)
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
So which of those to cockamamie reasons would you say when there is some type of inflight emergency when it would be in the best interests of the passengers to not be informed?
Like when the pilot dies (granted CO doesn't do ch9).... http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts...2.1049850.html

"All we heard was that they needed a doctor on board the plane, the doctor went to the front of the plane, and that's the last we heard," said Staten Island resident Rich Eskew who was on board the flight. "Very professional crew, everything was very calm."

Those who spoke to CBS 2 all agreed the crew did the right thing by not alerting passengers as to what happened.

"There was no point in telling people, it would have created a lot of panic and stress, and for what? We were in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean," said passenger Steven Weitz, who learned the pilot died after his son called him when the plane landed.
Or when there are monor/common inflight mechanical problems. No need to cause a panic onboard.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't believe that denying information is ever in the "best interests" of the passengers.

But if they do make that decision, it should only be to disable it for the duration of the emergency, not to deny it forthwith.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ck8
Channel 9 is pretty cool. However, it only worked on the MSP-ORD and ORD-MSP leg. Neither the flight into or out of DCA had it activated. Is this for security or did they just forget to turn it on?

I was happy with the service and courtesy of the crews on all the legs. I got to ORD on the afternoon of 7/2 and it looked like they had recovered from the computer problems. Good experience overall and UA may be my new home.
Glad you enjoyed your flights and are looking at United as your new carrier. Please try us again, we'd like your business.

As for CH 9, it is a United marketing tool. It is at Captain's discretion, so sometimes it won't be on, or it might just be broken on that jet. If in the future you're on a flight and CH 9 isn't on, just ask the FA to see if the Captain will turn it on. Sometimes the Captain before your flight had it off, and your captain doesn't know it's off until a FA asks. You might get it on that way. If you look at the CH 9 thread, I think you'll see that it is on a lot more than off, and has nothing to do with radio skills as one poster ridiculously said.

Thanks for flying United and hope to see you again.

AD

I don't believe that denying information is ever in the "best interests" of the passengers.

But if they do make that decision, it should only be to disable it for the duration of the emergency, not to deny it forthwith.
Well, that is up to the Captain to decide. Since every other carrier doesn't have CH 9, are they denying you information on all your flights?

Ryan182 had the right post, there are other threads talking about CH 9, no reason taking over the OP's thread with that issue.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm Reason: removed off-topic content [due to moderator action] and multi-quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

I'm in agreement.

Bad argument, guys - if there's some sort of emergency on board, that's fine, but the mere possibility that an emergency may arise is not sufficient cause for pre-emptive disabling of Channel 9.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, UA 1P
Am I wrong or is ch 9 usually off on the Hawaii flights? Not enough action?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
It was on my flights this past weekend. However, it only works so far from land. Someone here will probably know the exact distance.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mybutthurts
Am I wrong or is ch 9 usually off on the Hawaii flights? Not enough action?
Sadly my list of data points for Hawaii flights is no where near as large as I'd like but I do know for TPAC/TATL flights they usually turn it off over the water as there's nothing there and then back on about an hour, hour and half, before landing. I'd presume Hawaii flights are probably similar.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Since every other carrier doesn't have CH 9, are they denying you information on all your flights?
If they don't announce the information over the intercom, yes.

there are other threads talking about CH 9, no reason taking over the OP's thread with that issue.
Except that the OP specifically asked about it.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
As for CH 9, it is a United marketing tool.
It's much more than that... for those of us who go through periods of being extremely nervous about flying, it goes a long way toward letting us know that everything is still ok when the engines throttle back or when there is turbulence.

To my mind it's an important market differentiator, and a big part of why I fly 100k with UA every year instead of their competitors.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
In the interests of sharing information with the rest of the community, I'm going to (with somewhat great reservation) allow discussion to continue. Why am I nervous? Last, year, we had a similar thread and sadly, discussion reached a point where it was no longer compliant with any minimal interpretation of FlyerTalk's Rules and Guidelines.

If discussion is going to continue in this thread, I'd encourage posters to review the other thread and use it as a guide as to what to try and avoid.

Thanks for your understanding,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:01 pm

If they don't announce the information over the intercom, yes.

Your original post made it sound like having CH 9 off was denying you information. I'm glad you have clarified that as long as the pilots try to keep you informed over the PA, you are happy, and that CH 9 has nothing to do with it. Got it now.

Originally Posted by hbyerly
It's much more than that... for those of us who go through periods of being extremely nervous about flying, it goes a long way toward letting us know that everything is still ok when the engines throttle back or when there is turbulence.

To my mind it's an important market differentiator, and a big part of why I fly 100k with UA every year instead of their competitors.
I'm glad CH 9 helps you with your flying, but it is a double edged sword. While you get reassurance by listening, I also get calls from the back about a scared passenger that hears there is severe turbulence around (even though it's hundreds of miles away) or windshear reports (at another airport) and jumping to the wrong conclusion. I have it on for the most part, but I understand why pilots also have it off. Thanks for flying United.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Jul 6, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.