Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.
[For reference, the 2013 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424575-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2013-flights.html ]

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536853-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2014-flights.html ]

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2013-2014] Flights ]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO aircraft yet?

The following mainline aircraft types allow passengers to listen to ATC. The legacy nomenclature is "Channel 9," but on many types it is accessed by selecting "From the Flight Deck" on the "Audio" menu of the seat-back entertainment, then pushing "Listen." Legacy pmCO FAs may not know what "Channel 9" is, as none of their a/c had it prior to the merger.

A319 - removed
A320 - removed
B737 - no
B747 - yes
B757 - only pmUA 757-200s operating p.s. flights (i.e. 28J seats)
B767 - yes, both pmUA 767-300s and pmCO 767-400s
B777 - yes, both pmUA and pmCO, except the new Hawaiian and domestic high-density configuration aircraft
B787 - no

UA management has said they are "studying" ways it can be made available over the streaming content-equipped planes (i.e. A319, A320, 737), but no schedule has been announced for a decision or implementation.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:14 am

I'm not entirely clear on the status of Ch 9 on the current fleet. The last plane I was able to listen on was IAD-EWR on an old domestic 752 back in January. All other flights this year have been on domestic 737's, which don't seem to have it
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by bizzarODog
I'm not entirely clear on the status of Ch 9 on the current fleet. The last plane I was able to listen on was IAD-EWR on an old domestic 752 back in January. All other flights this year have been on domestic 737's, which don't seem to have it
The only narrowbodies with Ch 9 are sUA 752s. Since the dom F config ones are on their way out, that will leave the 15 p.s. 752s as the only narrowbodies in the fleet w/ Ch 9.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
The only narrowbodies with Ch 9 are sUA 752s. Since the dom F config ones are on their way out, that will leave the 15 p.s. 752s as the only narrowbodies in the fleet w/ Ch 9.
On the widebody side, you'll find it on all sUA 747s, 777s (except HI configs), and 767s.

The sCO 767-400ERs and 777s have it under "Audio" then "From the Flight Deck" on the entertainment system. For what it's worth, this feature has been added since the merger.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Member of Everything
I was shockingly on 3 planes recently that had channel 9, but went 0/3 on availability.

6/16 SFO-DEN (752)
6/16 SFO-SYD (777)
7/6 SYD-SFO (777)
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
On United 869 (Boeing 747) on 7/9 from SFO to HKG - ^^

Pilot announced Channel 9 being available prior to aircraft push back!!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
7/9 UA 734 SFO to ORD (B752)
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM
7/18 UA 443 JFK to LAX and ^

Let me explain... this has never happened to me. We pushed back 5 minutes early, but no channel 9. There was a line of weather heading towards JFK. We taxied out to 13L taxiway (the first time I've ever taken off from 13L) and promptly shut down the engines and waited for the storm to pass. 13R was soon open for departures, but as they were also landing on 13L, we just sat there until the flight deck crew timed out - so back we went to the gate 2 hours after push back. Deplaned and then replaned with new flight deck crew who decided we should have channel 9 access! And it was very interesting especially as southern California was full of weather and we had lots of reroutings to hear. Made arriving 4 hours late not quite so bad for me.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:55 am

Ua820 sfo-ord 7/18 ^
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by dank0014
Not 100% true. There are now other airlines that offer the ability to listen to the cockpit so it is no longer exclusive and unique to just UA. In addition, most of the time I have noticed this feature isn't on now with UA and in some situations has been completely removed (A320s).
I'm curious what other airlines offer access to ATC? Ages ago (early 80's), I have a vague recollection of being on an AA flight from JFK to PHX which offered it but maybe I dreamt it.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA 882 NRT-ORD 16-Jul ^

Saw captain walking through upper deck and asked him to turn it on. He said "yes," and was very nice about it. After I thanked him, he shook my hand and said no problem.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Waldofriend
I'm curious what other airlines offer access to ATC? Ages ago (early 80's), I have a vague recollection of being on an AA flight from JFK to PHX which offered it but maybe I dreamt it.
Late 70s on AA for sure, including camera views on the movie screens for takeoff and landing. Discontinued after the AA191 crash in Chicago in 1979.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
7/2 UA 950 IAD-BRU 777-200: ^
7/5 UA 125 TXL-EWR 767-400:

Sad that so many of my UA mainline flights this year no longer have the ability to play it
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Waldofriend
B6 is planning to offer ATC, but the project was delayed by improper installation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...c-channel.html
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
7/12 NRT-SIN
7/18 SIN-NRT

1/7 on equipped flights this year (all 747/777 intl, my domestic all unequipped)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by asphaltman
Does anyone have any recent info on Ch 9 making a comeback? It's a domestic rareity anymore. I know they say they are working on it, but has that fire dwindled a bit?
Don't know anything about any comeback, but Channel 9 was turned on for UA845, ORD-GRU, a 777 on July 15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.