Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Happened just now on SJC-IAH and it did it last month on DEN-SFO but I forgot to make a post.

I connect to UA wifi (on DEN was just for flight info/map) and on today's for PDE. I don't log in with my MP #, I don't pay for the browsing service.

But, my phone received 5 texts (iMessage) in flight, my Instagram notifications came up as well as things from the Thumbtack app. If I try to refresh Facebook or IG or respond to a text nothing goes out.
Is this UA trying to tempt us into buying wifi so we can respond to people, see what a IG comment was etc?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I've had the same thing happen to me. I was streaming a movie (did not buy wifi) and had texts (both sms & imessage) come through while watching movie in airplane mode.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
This is a known 'bug' on only Boeing aircraft I believe.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I've had it happen intermittently on flights; most recently DEN-IAH on a 789.

I couldn't use web browser, but Gmail and Hangouts app worked perfectly fine.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wooglin
I've had it happen intermittently on flights; most recently DEN-IAH on a 789.

I couldn't use web browser, but Gmail and Hangouts app worked perfectly fine.
Generally behind most of these types of portals (airlines, cruise ships, etc), you can gain access to the companies site (aka, united.com / aa.com / whatever).

For those pages to not stop to a crawl, they also whitelist script references on the pages. For instance, for certain scripts and analytics, google is whitelisted.

There are ways to utilize this to tunnel data, but it is generally very slow and not worth it (except on a boat!).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've seen this occasionally as well. Haven't noticed it throughout a flight, just at one point. I know for sure the last time was on a 739. I'm pretty sure it happened once on a Gogo equipped UAX flight.

I always figured it was during a transition phase for the wifi, where it lets you get access beyond the paywall for a limited time so you can complete the authentication or sign up so you can pay, and shutsboff after. Im pretty sure I've seen this on other systems - for example, systems that want you to download an app first.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I've seen this occasionally as well. Haven't noticed it throughout a flight, just at one point. I know for sure the last time was on a 739. I'm pretty sure it happened once on a Gogo equipped UAX flight.

I always figured it was during a transition phase for the wifi, where it lets you get access beyond the paywall for a limited time so you can complete the authentication or sign up so you can pay, and shutsboff after. Im pretty sure I've seen this on other systems - for example, systems that want you to download an app first.
I thought that too because it happened once I connected. But this was most certainly through the whole flight.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I noticed this as well. I suspect it's to allow push notifications for the UA app to work (since the rest of the app works) and since all push notifications come from the same pool of Apple servers they couldn't whitelist only their app's notifications.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i'm consistently able to use google services (hangouts, maps, gmail and google now) with limited functionality. images generally won't load, but i have full functionality within google maps.

i run lineageOS on a samsung galaxy.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

Are you using TMobile by any chance?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by br2k
Are you using TMobile by any chance?
It's not limited to TMobile phones. I have Verizon.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:52 pm

Was just curious. Most likely lax UDP filtering to "make things work".
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'm consistently able to use google services (hangouts, maps, gmail and google now) with limited functionality. images generally won't load, but i have full functionality within google maps.
I forgot to mention I noticed this too on my most recent flight. Even got google.com search results on a laptop.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS
Sending text messages with imessenger worked for me as well as receiving on my last two 739 flights
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:46 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
For months now, have been able to send and receive text messages via my iPhone and iPad, using the iMessage system (Apple-to-Apple texting).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.