Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I few EWR-LAS last week on a 738/739 and for once chose not to do any work on the plane. My phone automatically connects to the wifi and to my surprise text messages (iMessage) are streaming in the whole flight. Is this new?
I forgot to add that if someone sent me a URL via iMessage that also worked
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got iMessages today on a 738 (with DirecTV). Now I have to try on other aircraft types
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA
I was able to send and receive text/SMS messages via Google Hangouts on an E175 a couple of weeks ago without paying for internet.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Was able to use WhatsApp without paying for internet on a 737 about a month ago.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:57 pm

Why was I able to text during a flight?

On a UA flight last night I was surprised to receive a text message mid-flight from a friend. Shortly after that, I received another one from someone else. I was able to respond to the texts and continued to exchange messages. This was the first time that I experienced being able to do this. I was on a 738, my phone was on airplane mode and I did not pay for wi-fi. How was this possible?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Free iMessage over UA wifi.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The port for push notifications is open on some of the 737s and A319/20 planes, which means you can get (and send) iMessages as well as push alerts so long as you are connected to the plane's wifi, even just the free version.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
... because Delta enabled this first.
Catbert10 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I sometimes can get/send Gmail on my Android when connected to WiFi (the free version that allows for connections to United-related sites).

My Weather Channel App also keeps changing its "current location" to whatever city/town that we're over on some flights, but not on others.

Google Maps (the map itself, not the blue location dot, which is almost always accurate) updates on some flights but not on others.

Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Free iMessage over UA wifi.
That's great! When did this start ???
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chavala
That's great! When did this start ???
As noted above by others, it's not deliberate on UA's part. Some apps will have connectivity even if you haven't purchased wifi, iMessage being one of them.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by belynch
... because Delta enabled this first.
Delta has it on all wifi-equipped airplanes, while United's iteration is more of a "bug" than a "feature", insofar as it's not a deliberate decision to offer free inflight texting.

AA backed off its plan to do the same as DL.

My fear is the more we discuss it, the more likely it is UA implements a fix to eliminate this loophole, which would be a shame.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I was surprised that this happened. Interestingly, a UA FA on my previous international flight told me that I should use Google’s Allo app because you can text while in flight. I wonder if it works on international flights?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Delta has it on all wifi-equipped airplanes, while United's iteration is more of a "bug" than a "feature", insofar as it's not a deliberate decision to offer free inflight texting.

AA backed off its plan to do the same as DL.

My fear is the more we discuss it, the more likely it is UA implements a fix to eliminate this loophole, which would be a shame.
No doubt UA knows this loophole is there and it's hard to believe they haven't decided not to close it. Who knows but maybe they can't close it (at least not easily) as their flight crews might need the access for all they do?

The craziest access I had was on a UAX flight a year or two ago where Apple Maps was in constant update mode for the flight. It's weird to see the map moving underneath the current location at 500 mph or whatever. I think I only saw this on one flight.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:45 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Thanks for the info. I was surprised that this happened. Interestingly, a UA FA on my previous international flight told me that I should use Googles Allo app because you can text while in flight. I wonder if it works on international flights?
Sure the hell does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.