Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occasional Inflight iMessages Received (but didn't pay for access)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: United
Older wifi hot spots assumed that most people were using the Hotspot for Web based traffic which is routed through tcp port 80. Lazy programmers blocked port 80 without authenticated login (paid access) but left all other ports open. For example smtp email on port 23. Often messaging software and streaming services use different ports other than port 80 or the secure port 443 which would explain why you can access those services while being connected but without being authenticated. Try it at hotels too.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Sprint works fine throughout flight if you want to text
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It's not limited to TMobile phones. I have Verizon.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2017 at 5:19 pm Reason: repaired post
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:25 pm

This has happened to me several times while flying at cruising altitude ORD-HNL and ORD-SFO and vice-versa. I figured it was due to proximity to a tower near the continental divide.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:29 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Noticed this last year too!
Not sure if it works on all flights, but do remember having iMessages on some international flights like the discontinued flight from NRT-SIN and several domestic flights within the US.

I was even able to access google flights on a couple of flights.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1k DL Gold HH Diamond
Occasional texting in flight?

Once in a blue moon when connected the the inflight app for entertainment (unpaid access to WiFi), I can also send and receive iMessages. Any rhyme or reason to it? It seems to be random and not something done on demand. Tips? Tricks?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:47 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Been doing this for a while, myself! It's only iMessage. Frankly, I've found it to always work--it hasn't been random for me, as you describe...But I also don't take Gogo-serviced flights very often--so that might be the issue.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Yes, I've been doing this as well. Kind of goofy, also funny that it may be a gap in the wifi technology that allows iMessage. So instead of patching it, DL offers it "as a service"? May not be the same provider or technology, but funny to think that.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IMessage worked for me recently (without paying for wifi). I guess that UA has not announced it yet. They want to give flyers a small friendly surprise.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Once a captive wifi provider provides *some* access to the internet, particulaly for some "partner sites", access to the internet writ large is likely to be "leaky".

What you are seeing is a consequence of that. It may or may not be on purpose.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:14 am

I've never been so lucky. Wish I could recreate.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Yeah so they are obviously not blocking port 5223, https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202944 I wonder what else they don't block.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:22 am

I was with a buddy of mine on a 737-900 last week and he was able to iMessage during the flight without paying for WiFi.

Southwest's WiFi is pretty leaky too. I'm an Android user, and have received hockey score updates in Google Now without paying for WiFi. I've also noticed I can browse and search the Google Play Music library, but not actually stream anything - if I try to play a song I don't have downloaded for offline use, it will go as far as to get the album art and metadata, just no actual music. Which still renders it useless.

My theory is that phones detect whether or not they're on a captive portal by trying to access a page on either Apple or Google's server. If they get the expected page, it assumes you're on a regular network and it never asks you to sign into the portal, otherwise it displays the portal page for you to log in. So my guess is that they've opened up access to some domains or IPs belonging to Apple and Google to fool phones into thinking it's a regular WiFi network without a captive portal, so it won't keep prompting you to log in while watching movies via PDE. Some other Apple and Google services just happen to use those same servers or IPs so they still work and can't be blocked. United and Southwest keep it quiet, while Delta advertises this "bug" as a free service.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
iMessage has worked for quite some time
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
It's mainly the 737 fleet where this is possible. Mostly the -800s and -900s (It didn't work for me the last time I was on the -700).

I forget which (if any) widebodies it works on.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Seems to work for me on DirecTV-enabled planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.