Mainline in BUR

Old Feb 3, 17, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Mainline in BUR

Looking at some SFO-BUR RT flights and .bomb is showing A319 mainline service for the next two weeks. I've been flying this route on and off for four years for work and the best I've seen is a ERJ175 or CRJ700.

Is this is new norm?
Old Feb 3, 17, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Looking at some SFO-BUR RT flights and .bomb is showing A319 mainline service for the next two weeks. I've been flying this route on and off for four years for work and the best I've seen is a ERJ175 or CRJ700.

Is this is new norm?
DEN getting mainline too in spring. I thought I posted that somewhere else here, but cannot find it.

The Southwest Effect at work. Great to see mainline back. Would be lovely to see the legacy United agents back at BUR again (they moved to SNA/LAX around 2011-2012 when mainline stopped at BUR...).
Old Feb 3, 17, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post

Is this is new norm?
Certainly a good way to beef up the L.A. area service w/ LAX constraints. Hopefully UA is reaching out to L.A.-area customers and promoting that option.
Old Feb 3, 17, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
DEN getting mainline too in spring. I thought I posted that somewhere else here, but cannot find it.

The Southwest Effect at work. Great to see mainline back. Would be lovely to see the legacy United agents back at BUR again (they moved to SNA/LAX around 2011-2012 when mainline stopped at BUR...).
The SNA staff are awesome!

It seems like one flight in each direction (at least the days i'm looking at), hopefully it works out!
Old Feb 3, 17, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It's been a very long time since I've seen mainline at BUR, so this is good!

For some historical perspective, UA once flew 767's BUR-ORD. Must have been an interesting landing in BUR!!!
Old Feb 3, 17, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I wonder if they can assign UA1187 for a mainline SFO-BUR flight. This was used for many years (BUR's tower frequency is 118.700).
Old Feb 3, 17, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
It's been a very long time since I've seen mainline at BUR, so this is good!

For some historical perspective, UA once flew 767's BUR-ORD. Must have been an interesting landing in BUR!!!
That's for sure. I know Delta's 757 was troublesome when there used to be the BUR-ATL flight.
Old Feb 3, 17, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great news!!
Sometimes flying into BUR is much easier than LAX and this will add another incentive.
Old Feb 3, 17, 1:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
NO WAY!

Used to commute out of BUR all the time, including the BUR-OAK shuttle ($19 fares!) and UA1492 BUR-DEN-CMH.

Does this mean they are bringing in UA employees back to BUR (as opposed to UAX outsourced agents)?
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador
This is great news. I live 10 minutes away from BUR but I've been driving down to LAX because I hated the CRJ-200s. However, UA will still have to give some priority to the BUR flights. Out of 5 flights BUR-SFO today, two are on time, two severely delayed, and one cancelled. Really tough to make international connections with any certainty.
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilp888 View Post
This is great news. I live 10 minutes away from BUR but I've been driving down to LAX because I hated the CRJ-200s. However, UA will still have to give some priority to the BUR flights. Out of 5 flights BUR-SFO today, two are on time, two severely delayed, and one cancelled. Really tough to make international connections with any certainty.
I'm living that nightmare. I'm on the 5:55 PM BUR-SFO most Thursday's. Delayed 2 hours yesterday. I'm 2/11 with on time flights this year
Old Feb 3, 17, 3:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
BUR DEN on a 319 my first ever UA flight in 2005 (I think?). Glad to see it back!
Old Feb 3, 17, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I was on it once, but don't recall the landing pulling any heavier "g's" than what is normal at the airport. The issue was the plane could not pull up to the terminal due to wing length (this was the days when UA was in the long trailer like section that was replaced stretching out toward Hollywood Way). We parked on a ramp just northwest of where the runways cross, and were bussed about 400 hundred yards to the terminal door.

My recollection was there may have been all of 40 people on the plane.

As to 757's, over the years probably landed there a couple of dozen times. Again, no landing ever struck me with panicky braking.
Old Feb 3, 17, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I wonder if they can assign UA1187 for a mainline SFO-BUR flight. This was used for many years (BUR's tower frequency is 118.700).
LGA's tower is also 118.7, that's a lot of flights deserving the honorary number!

Actually looking it up, looks like UA1187 is often an Airbus doing the ORD - LGA run. Does UA give flights honorary numbers by frequencies?
Old Feb 4, 17, 1:07 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by wilp888 View Post
Well if you can get 30 people with <2-hour connections to Asia and/or Europe, I'm sure they'll prioritize that flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: