Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Baze
What new elite requirement are you referring to? Nothing has changed with regards to how you qualify for status or earn lifetime miles.
I would imagine that the comment is in regard to PQ$ and perhaps the 2015 increase over 2014 required levels, particularly with the comment about moving to the only mAAjor progrAAm without $$ requirement.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I would imagine that the comment is in regard to PQ$ and perhaps the 2015 increase over 2014 required levels, particularly with the comment about moving to the only mAAjor progrAAm without $$ requirement.
But PQD has nothing to do with MM. But yes, I forgot they raised the PQD requirement this year for each level.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But PQD has nothing to do with MM. But yes, I forgot they raised the PQD requirement this year for each level.
As someone who is now over 935,000 lifetime miles, but may have a tough time with the new 2015 PQD thresholds, the comment makes perfect sense to me. Especially since one of the key MM benefits is gifting current status to a partner. If, due to PQD requirements, that's only going to be Gold from here on out, then MM status is not nearly so valuable as if I were gifting 1K or Plat.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
As someone who is now over 935,000 lifetime miles, but may have a tough time with the new 2015 PQD thresholds, the comment makes perfect sense to me. Especially since one of the key MM benefits is gifting current status to a partner. If, due to PQD requirements, that's only going to be Gold from here on out, then MM status is not nearly so valuable as if I were gifting 1K or Plat.
But even Gold is not worthless. There is more to status than just upgrades and some fees waived. E+ at booking, *A lounge access, free bags among them. Yes, 1K or Platinum is better but I very much appreciated the benefits of Gold as a MM before I hit Platinum. And knowing I don't have to requalify for Gold is a little pressure off of attaining status.

But maybe I was just reading their comment in a way they didn't intend.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I haven't flown with UA in a long time, but I'm trying them out again twice this Summer. Having flown AA, B6, and US recently, I have found JetBlue my favorite, but their destinations are so limited.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But even Gold is not worthless.
I didn't say it's worthless. But there's no question that for many travelers, increasing PQD thresholds, combined with endless cuts in benefits, degrades the value proposition.

What I see here is quite a few longtime 1Ks saying "enough . . . it's not worth it anymore." Your calculation may be different from theirs. Personally I'm not there yet, but I definitely get it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to drop this as the OP I was answering to has not come back to answer my question or correct my understanding and discussing with others what the OP's intent was is a fruitless endeavor. Your understanding of what they meant is different from mine so I'm tagging out until they come back.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by RNE
Oh! Since you put it that way, I understand! In fact I'm in the same situation. For the last few years, I drove a Cadillac. But I can't afford it anymore. So instead I'm driving a Kia. Problem solved.
And probably have a much better car because of it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportbiz
And probably have a much better car because of it.
Actually, he bought his "kia" from some guy named Jeff Smisik. Its actually a used Yugo with a "kia" badge glued on it, and it was priced like a caddy.... (United can not command Mercedes of BMW prices, even if inflated. ).
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
We're in the same boat. I just crossed the 930000 lifetime miles mark yesterday, and I feel the same way.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by halls120
We're in the same boat. I just crossed the 930000 lifetime miles mark yesterday, and I feel the same way.
Well, by not making 1K as a million miler, the only person you are hurting is yourself!

Actually, hurting the person you were going to gift that 1K status to.

I'd be pissed if I were them, and you are only gifting me silver! Just because you want a more comfortable travel experience on some glitzy foreign airline!

Last edited by LarkSFO; Apr 30, 2015 at 11:53 am
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
But even Gold is not worthless. There is more to status than just upgrades and some fees waived. E+ at booking, *A lounge access, free bags among them. Yes, 1K or Platinum is better but I very much appreciated the benefits of Gold as a MM before I hit Platinum. And knowing I don't have to requalify for Gold is a little pressure off of attaining status.

But maybe I was just reading their comment in a way they didn't intend.
maybe I'm confused .. but isn't *G vis a vis MM attainment not real Gold as it relates to the *alliance benefits; lounge access, etc?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
maybe I'm confused .. but isn't *G vis a vis MM attainment not real Gold as it relates to the *alliance benefits; lounge access, etc?
MM Gold and MM Companion Gold are 100% full *G including lounge access.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
MM Gold and MM Companion Gold are 100% full *G including lounge access.
thanks! I knew I was missing something
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Well, by not making 1K as a million miler, the only person you are hurting is yourself!
Where did I say I wasn't going to try and reach 1MM? Oh, that's right, I didn't. All I said is that the allure of reaching it isn't what it once was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.