How many are REALLY leaving UA? [ARCHIVE]

Old Apr 28, 15, 9:25 am

Welcome to FT, ColoBlueGS!
It's always good to hear the experience of a new FTer, as it adds relevance to many issues discussed here.
Old Apr 28, 15, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I moved on from UA about 2 and 1/2 years ago. Went from 1K down to silver (still have a UA business card.) I live on the east coast and my travel now is concentrated east of the Mississippi. United is just all about the RJ's and turboprops where I am going - OH, NC, SC, FL, even Texas. And the fares are sometimes twice as expensive as the "business select" on Southwest.

Tonight, for example I booked travel to RDU for the week of 5/18 and 5/25. IT was $484 on Southwest for each RT. UA was $1,084 and I had my choice of connections on Q200, Q400, or RJ's.

For my travel profile--and the reduction or elimination of non-stops to LAX, SFO, etc out of BWI, I don't miss UA at all.
Old Apr 28, 15, 10:38 pm

Programs: RC Plat
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71 View Post
I moved on from UA about 2 and 1/2 years ago. Went from 1K down to silver (still have a UA business card.) I live on the east coast and my travel now is concentrated east of the Mississippi. United is just all about the RJ's and turboprops where I am going - OH, NC, SC, FL, even Texas. And the fares are sometimes twice as expensive as the "business select" on Southwest.

Tonight, for example I booked travel to RDU for the week of 5/18 and 5/25. IT was $484 on Southwest for each RT. UA was $1,084 and I had my choice of connections on Q200, Q400, or RJ's.

For my travel profile--and the reduction or elimination of non-stops to LAX, SFO, etc out of BWI, I don't miss UA at all.
Sorry buddy, past the statute of limitations.

You needed to post in the 'How many are really leaving UA' 2013 edition...

PS As a 1K today, that little flight would earn you ~12,000 RDM"s!
Old Apr 29, 15, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG AMB, Marriott Gold
After devoting my loyalty to UA for 7 years, I have decided to leave this year. AA matched my 1K status and I have been enjoying Emerald privileges right now. I thought I could reach my 1M miles with UA but the new Elite requirement just doesn't justify it anymore.
Old Apr 29, 15, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kdreamer View Post
After devoting my loyalty to UA for 7 years, I have decided to leave this year. AA matched my 1K status and I have been enjoying Emerald privileges right now. I thought I could reach my 1M miles with UA but the new Elite requirement just doesn't justify it anymore.
What new elite requirement are you referring to? Nothing has changed with regards to how you qualify for status or earn lifetime miles.
Old Apr 29, 15, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
What new elite requirement are you referring to? Nothing has changed with regards to how you qualify for status or earn lifetime miles.
I would imagine that the comment is in regard to PQ$ and perhaps the 2015 increase over 2014 required levels, particularly with the comment about moving to the only mAAjor progrAAm without $$ requirement.
Old Apr 29, 15, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
I would imagine that the comment is in regard to PQ$ and perhaps the 2015 increase over 2014 required levels, particularly with the comment about moving to the only mAAjor progrAAm without $$ requirement.
But PQD has nothing to do with MM. But yes, I forgot they raised the PQD requirement this year for each level.
Old Apr 29, 15, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
But PQD has nothing to do with MM. But yes, I forgot they raised the PQD requirement this year for each level.
As someone who is now over 935,000 lifetime miles, but may have a tough time with the new 2015 PQD thresholds, the comment makes perfect sense to me. Especially since one of the key MM benefits is gifting current status to a partner. If, due to PQD requirements, that's only going to be Gold from here on out, then MM status is not nearly so valuable as if I were gifting 1K or Plat.
Old Apr 29, 15, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
As someone who is now over 935,000 lifetime miles, but may have a tough time with the new 2015 PQD thresholds, the comment makes perfect sense to me. Especially since one of the key MM benefits is gifting current status to a partner. If, due to PQD requirements, that's only going to be Gold from here on out, then MM status is not nearly so valuable as if I were gifting 1K or Plat.
But even Gold is not worthless. There is more to status than just upgrades and some fees waived. E+ at booking, *A lounge access, free bags among them. Yes, 1K or Platinum is better but I very much appreciated the benefits of Gold as a MM before I hit Platinum. And knowing I don't have to requalify for Gold is a little pressure off of attaining status.

But maybe I was just reading their comment in a way they didn't intend.
Old Apr 29, 15, 6:17 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I haven't flown with UA in a long time, but I'm trying them out again twice this Summer. Having flown AA, B6, and US recently, I have found JetBlue my favorite, but their destinations are so limited.
Old Apr 29, 15, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
But even Gold is not worthless.
I didn't say it's worthless. But there's no question that for many travelers, increasing PQD thresholds, combined with endless cuts in benefits, degrades the value proposition.

What I see here is quite a few longtime 1Ks saying "enough . . . it's not worth it anymore." Your calculation may be different from theirs. Personally I'm not there yet, but I definitely get it.
Old Apr 29, 15, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to drop this as the OP I was answering to has not come back to answer my question or correct my understanding and discussing with others what the OP's intent was is a fruitless endeavor. Your understanding of what they meant is different from mine so I'm tagging out until they come back.
Old Apr 29, 15, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Oh! Since you put it that way, I understand! In fact I'm in the same situation. For the last few years, I drove a Cadillac. But I can't afford it anymore. So instead I'm driving a Kia. Problem solved.
And probably have a much better car because of it.
Old Apr 29, 15, 11:48 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
And probably have a much better car because of it.
Actually, he bought his "kia" from some guy named Jeff Smisik. Its actually a used Yugo with a "kia" badge glued on it, and it was priced like a caddy.... (United can not command Mercedes of BMW prices, even if inflated. ).
Old Apr 30, 15, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
We're in the same boat. I just crossed the 930000 lifetime miles mark yesterday, and I feel the same way.

Search this Thread