Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by cos999
Hull 2796 flew ua2735 on 6/23 XMN-SFO, and scheduled for UA990 SFO-CDG on 6/25 and CDG-IAD on 6/26 which I am on in C. So nice to get the legit POLARIS vs the 2-4-2.
Also note this plane has PE: the first 3 rows of coach are 2-4-2 but no info on width or pitch.
Me too! Hooray!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
They should just move one section of the IPTE seats back behind the new J and call it premium economy. It would be light years ahead of anyone premium economy and they would save on cost by using existing seats.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by mike2003242
They should just move one section of the IPTE seats back behind the new J and call it premium economy. It would be light years ahead of anyone premium economy and they would save on cost by using existing seats.
i was thinking about the same. however, i think due to space issues, they will have to make it angled lie flat (or a variation) to be cost effective, still miles ahead of everyone else.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That doesn't pencil out. While 2-4-2 is same space across, the IPTE seat is nearly twice as long as a P+ seat. You can get at least three rows of P+ for every two rows of IPTE (and it may be more like 5:3). That extra space is extremely costly in terms of revenue loss.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Have a cruise planned next July . Will be going sfo-lhr.When I look at the seat map for next May it still shows the old configuration. Any idea when it might reflect what will actually be there next summer? Am considering Virgin Atlantic as they have isle access. Also would like to try the product. Seems like the best J fare is $4100, no matter what airline I check. Is there a possibility I could see a J fare for less for travell next July? Seems like J fares only go up, not down the closer one gets to travel.

Have pretty much given up trying to get a saver seat on this route in J in July. Too bad since I have alot of United miles.

Not considering miles earned, what airline would you pick for this route?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That doesn't pencil out. While 2-4-2 is same space across, the IPTE seat is nearly twice as long as a P+ seat. You can get at least three rows of P+ for every two rows of IPTE (and it may be more like 5:3). That extra space is extremely costly in terms of revenue loss.
Makes sense, my biggest deal is I just want a lay flat on long flights. The food and service to me are expendable. P+ is going to be way better than Y but on a 10+ hour flight it's still not going to be great. I dont sleep good sitting up.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes sense, my biggest deal is I just want a lay flat on long flights. The food and service to me are expendable. P+ is going to be way better than Y but on a 10+ hour flight it's still not going to be great. I dont sleep good sitting up.
UA understands that, which is why providing the IPTE seat at PE prices would be an absolute non-starter. It'd cut way too much into J sales.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Fortunately UA isn't currently adding PE at the expense of J, which DL and AA have (in the case of DL, J and all of E+).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA understands that, which is why providing the IPTE seat at PE prices would be an absolute non-starter. It'd cut way too much into J sales.
if there were a segment priced truly in the middle seems like it could make business sense. When you go from 800-1000 in Y to 1200-1500 in P+ to 6000+ in J theres such a big gap in pricing. I could get my company to pay 2,500 for a flight but they ain't paying 6K.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
For business travel patterns (at least TATL), PE is much more like the 2,500 price point (and J is 2500 for the discerning booker). Meanwhile, NZ tries to squeeze upwards of 4k on SFO-AKL.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Fortunately UA isn't currently adding PE at the expense of J, which DL and AA have (in the case of DL, J and all of E+).
And in fact they are adding J seats on the 772 and 763 P+.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by findark
For business travel patterns (at least TATL), PE is much more like the 2,500 price point (and J is 2500 for the discerning booker). Meanwhile, NZ tries to squeeze upwards of 4k on SFO-AKL.
I can do PE TATL, TPAC is where PE is still going to be tough!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Have a cruise planned next July . Will be going sfo-lhr.When I look at the seat map for next May it still shows the old configuration. Any idea when it might reflect what will actually be there next summer? Am considering Virgin Atlantic as they have isle access. Also would like to try the product. Seems like the best J fare is $4100, no matter what airline I check. Is there a possibility I could see a J fare for less for travell next July? Seems like J fares only go up, not down the closer one gets to travel.

Have pretty much given up trying to get a saver seat on this route in J in July. Too bad since I have alot of United miles.

Not considering miles earned, what airline would you pick for this route?

Thanks
UA. Particularly if it operates a Polaris-ized 777 on at least one nonstop, as they have recently. I might even take the UA 787 over the VS version. I found the Upper Class suite simultaneously confining and not particularly private (on the A side without a facing suite). The Dreamliner was less than a year old yet my suite had a flaky IFE and broken cocktail tray. The Clubhouses at both SFO and LHR were highlights; I prefer UA food and service onboard. The Upper Class Wing didn’t live up to expectations. Despite pre-booking and phoning with our car’s details/number plate, we still had to wait upon arrival because they were short staffed. Overall VS tilted too much towards style over substance for me. Still I guess I’m glad I tried it. The next TATL is back on UA. We’re booked on the nonstop to CDG in August; hoping for a rare reconfigured 772 and looking forward to trying the SFO Polaris lounge.

Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
And in fact they are adding J seats on the 772 and 763 P+.
They aren't adding J seats on the 77Y, which will remain at 50.
They are adding to 77J/Q though, so definitely a PLUS!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Bear Backers
On Virgin I. Can book business going and premium economy on the return and get a round trip fare. Is there anyway to do this with United? I don,t see it on the web site.

Last edited by oskidunker; Jun 27, 2018 at 8:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.